1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by gaz83, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Nialla

Nialla Guest

I think that's a bit of a moot point. Going into halftime at 2-2 would have given our players a better psyche for the second half. I think that's our player's problem. We have a good amount of talent (look at those two goals we scored so close together), but the team just..gave up too quickly. :/

2. Eric

If the goal would have counted, the Brits wouldn't have needed to try to be on the attack constantly and only have like one defender back. Although England would have probably found a way to choke in the 2nd half anyway.

Maybe Capello shouldn't have cock blocked the whole team. xD

3. 4 seat

Mexico got screwed on that first goal. Way offsides. But Argentina's gonna rock them anyways and they're all talking shit to each other it's lame.

Anyone else agree they need to start using instant replay viewing for calls? Or having a second field ref?

4. Corny

Corny Guest

^ there will be no instant replays in the near future.
    maybe a "goal ref assistant". actually they are already testing this.

5. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

There is a thing called Hawk-Eye that looks at the lines and can process it all in half a second and show on screen if a ball or person is in or out. I works in cricket and tennis and a few other sports. Don't see why they can't adapt it for football!

6. partietraumatic

because Sepp Blatter is a stubborn ****.

Despite that, however, i do not blame the ref. We were ABYSMAL. An absolute embarrassment. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard. Supposedly world class. They have been awful all tournament.

We have played 4 matches. We've been disgustingly poor in them all.

Don't blame the ref. Don't blame the linesman. Blame our players. Blame the manager. Blame the system that produces players in capable of playing on the international stage.

I am looking positive tho... Argentina would have decimated us, it would have been horrific.

Also it may mean that the 'golden generation' are finally discarded. They have all proven repeatedly at 4 or 5 international tournaments that they are not good enough. They should all be gotten rid of (except for Rooney) now. They shouldn't play another match. Start using the young players straight away, so they are ready for 2014 in Brazil.

Finally it may lead to a complete overhaul of our system. Germany did it when we beat them 5-1 in 2001. They started to change the way they played, and now they look much better. Spain did it 15 years ago, they started training coaches and putting them in schools to coach players from the age of 5. Now they have 7 or 8 world class players. Its no coincidence. We have none of these coaches.

If a new system is implemented, it may take 15 or 20 years to produce benefits, but it will make this loss worth it.

7. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Agreed, even though it's my country I was surprised the ref counted it as valid. Luckily we won by two goals, so we can call it a clean victory still :grin:

I don't get why they refuse to use the technology at hand to avoid injusticies like this one or what happened to England.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Spain v Portugal today. Spain better wake up and start playing some real soccer already or we are going to get raped by Portugal.

9. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Think Portugal could do it tonight, will be a great game.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Tomorrow*

Brazil v Chile today. Going to be a great game still.

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Wow, Brazil beat the hell out of Chile. I felt bad for Chile because they were actually quite strong at the beginning but got discouraged after the first goal.

12. Eric

Japan vs. Paraguay doesnt't look like it's going to end any time soon. Still scoreless in the second half of extra time. Okada looks half asleep on the Japanese sideline.

#112 Eric, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  13. partietraumatic

i fell asleep during that match it was so boring!!!

14. Eric

I usually can't bare to watch soccer except for the world cup. I would have fallen asleep aswell had it not been for the fact that I only started watching in the second half. There were a few great chances and I'm happy Paraguay won (go red & white) but it could have gone either way and either team (especially japan because of the players they'd be missing) would get slaughtered by either Spain or Portugal so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Hard to predict what the final's gonna look like but the way Maradona and Pele have been going at it in the media, it would be nice to see Argentina and Brazil in it.

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

ESPANA PAPA!!!!!!!!!!!
    freaking amazing game. Some bad calls, but amazing game.

16. Eric

Amazing game if you're a Spain fan. Ronaldo couldn't get/keep the ball and in the end Portugal couldn't get anything going without him. Portugal is very much overrated. Spain should have an easy go against Paraguay, but we all know how the spaniards can get, you know, with the choking in big games. I can't wait for Germany/Argentina. That should be a hell of a match.

17. olides84

Brazil is OUT !!! Congrats to the Dutch. Brazil only have themselves to blame.

18. Apocalypte

They were flying at 1-0 up, it just seemed that when that first Dutch goal went in that their heads just went. Silly really.

19. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I'm so glad for the Netherlands. I didn't want Brazil to win yet again.

It was an entertaining match. Brazil just started to play really badly in the second part, with no strategy whatsoever, and the Dutch defence was quite strong. I found it a bit despairing, though, that on several occasions the Dutch midfielders and wingers dribbled very neatly their way to Brazil's area and then stupidly missed the goal chances.

20. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    What a result for Germany. 4-0 never seen that coming.