1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That attitude is very common. It doesn't matter what you haven't done that your ancestors did, but you are living off the fruits of racial oppression, and minorities are still suffering. That attitude is still racist, because it says that you don't need to check your privilege that comes at others' expense. I'd question my attitude on race very seriously if I were you.

The whole basis of society is straight pride. Almost all of our institutions and people favour cisgender heterosexuality over others. Straight pride is like giving tax cuts to the rich, and then calling the poor lazy dole bludgers.

2. AmityRanch

I am living off the fruits of racial oppression?
    First of all, I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about, so If you could expand on that, I might not take you out of context.
    Thanks

If this is true though, I don't see how there is any way I can fix it.
    I'm sorry I happen to live in a government that was racist at one point... I guess...?
    I'm sorry my parents didn't birth me elsewhere...?
    I'm sorry, I fail to see how I'm an 'oppressor' here.
    All this shit is out of my control.

Woah, slow down.
    When did I say any of that shit?
    What are these privileges that I don't check?
    Who are these 'others' and how are they suffering?

I'll do that once you elaborate on half the claims you've given me, thank you.

That's true for multiple reasons aside from just 'they like straight people more than us".

1. Only 11% of US citizens consider themselves as LGBT.
    I'm assuming it's about the same in your country.
    The simple fact that there are more straight people than gay people obviously affects our status in society in some way (especially since the other group is the majority).

2. LGBT is a touchy subject.
    Self explanatory.
    Featuring a gay couple in your average fashion magazine would be a pretty risky business practice.
    I can assure you people would unsubscribe from the magazine just because the company took that risk.

3. It's an entirely new movement.
    Give society time to adjust.
    We (LGBT) sort of snuck up on their cultures, when at the time, the topic of homosexuality was mostly taboo.
    Do you seriously expect everything about our culture to change the moment we enter the picture?
    Sure, being straight does come off as being the default every now and then, but trust me.
    In a century, gay couples will be seen as often as interracial ones.

Just because it's 'straight pride' doesn't automatically mean your attacking gays.
    Hell, what if a bunch of straight people had 'straight pride' because they'd been inspired by gay pride?

*hypothetical situation*

Maybe some couples took notice of all these Gay Pride Parades, and thought they looked rather fun. They may have been disappointed they (as individuals) couldn't relate to the cause, so they made their own parade to express themselves.
    They seem like nice people, I'm sure they'd support our endeavors on the side, as well.
    No harm in that.
    They obviously wouldn't be 'bashing' us.

#162 AmityRanch, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. nichison

Everybody should be proud of who they are, no matter sexuality, race, gender, and nationality.

4. Aussir

This... :eusa_clap

They want to have straight pride? Fine, whatever floats their boat...

I'm not religious but I tend to go by this:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

I have better things to do in life than getting bothered over stuff like this.

5. Waffles

My biggest issue is this: why be proud to be the majority? If anything, it just seems conceited and ignorant to people like us who have had to work hard to be accepted. Seriously... Congrats heterosexuals: you didn't have to fight for your marriage rights!

I would like to buy many pairs of shoes so I can personally find these people and shove a shoe up every single one of their behinds via kick. Each shoe can have "proud to have had my butt handed to me via proud homosexual".

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :rolle: Look. I interpreted the question as "is it okay for straight folks to make a little display pride for their sexuality?" and everyone seems to be interpreting it as "is it okay for straight folks to flaunt their rights and be shitbags?" We are clearly answering different questions.

Pride is not the same as arrogance.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

On the subject of race; if you're white, and you refuse to give your active support to racial equality, then you're an oppressor. Just because you didn't start it doesn't mean you don't perpetuate it. Whether or not you began it isn't relevant. Your position is granted by the way racial minorities are treated, and that needs to change. That's what I mean about European privilege.

On the subject of straight pride; cisgendered straight people have everything that LGBT pride is about. Straight people can join in LGBT pride, yes, but to make your own is ridiculous when society is based around heterosexuality. If you missed the original links the OP gave, it was about bashing gays and claiming heterosexuality to be "normal" (as opposed to us). And there's no need to wait; that's giving in. Feminism couldn't wait, otherwise we'd still have way more to go than we already do. The same goes for LGBT rights. I don't care about opposition discomfort; I'm not giving in to the distress of the privileged when the privileged have it so much better.

8. Amsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just seems like everyone is comparing wiener sizes, and trying to do anything to make sure they win the competition.

Pride is pride. Pride is good if you're not hurting or degrading anyone. It's not a competition. In the end, the goal is unity.

9. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think it's offensive as long as they don't bash gays.

10. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Your confusion is typical. We were taught that the only history that mattered was white people history, that over-representation of whites in the media and positions of authority is normal and acceptable, that our opinions on racism are more important than the actual experiences of racism by people of color. For instance. Here. Pick a link. Any link.
    Disclaimers:
    • No one is telling you that you can't have life problems or a hard life
    • No one is saying you can't be treated badly by others; you just won't be treated badly for the mentioned trait
    • No one is trying to "guilt-trip" you, just educate you, and if you feel some guilt over it, well congrats. You aren't a sociopath.
    • No, white people are not the ones victimized by racism.

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

:lol:

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

Straight pride (they probably mean cis straight pride) just shows that too many are still unaware of the oppression of non-cishets and how they contribute to it, which means we have a lot of educating to do...

11. Beware Of You

Here is something, that Straight Pride UK group, isn't even British, Russians are behind it! Look at this press release after a LGBT activist found out their true colours (and has now parodied their website since they failed to renew the dns)

12. LILuke

Wow, this makes too much sense. :eusa_doh:

13. DeeBubbs

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Amen! Perfect response :slight_smile:

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, no...

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight pride is completely unnecessary as much as White History Month, because Gay Pride and Black History Month exist because both groups of people were oppressed and were made to feel like lesser citizens for things completely out of their control.

As a general rule though, I consider taking pride from your sexual orientation, race, gender or nationality to be a huge waste of time - we were all born the way we were by chance.

I think the notion that you need to feel guilt for being born into a majority is complete balderdash though. I think these holier-than-thou types need to take a step back and reconsider their position on absolutely everything in life.

#175 imnotreallysure, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think we should make a eurocentric heterosexual cisgender white male history month. Oh wait, every month is eurocentric heterosexual cisgender white male history month. I think what confuses me about straight pride is that straight people have never been shamed for being straight, at least to my knowledge. And that's what gay pride is all about. People came up with gay pride because everyone else wanted them to live in shame and secrecy. Straight people don't have that problem, at least not about their sexuality. I don't think there is anything wrong with the principle even if it doesn't make sense to me, but in practice most of the people I've met who say they're proud to be straight also make homophobic comments, like they don't think "queers should rub their sexuality in their faces" etc...

17. Polterpup

I somewhat think its unnecessary...but whatever they want to do, I guess.

18. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pride of what exactly? to constantly put gay people's rights down?

19. Caillin

:confused: not all straight people are against gay people.. As for straight pride kinda pointless I mean their sexuality is already accepted. I mean you can be proud of you you are and everything but if they are having parades and shit that seems pointless to me.

20. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people

Not all people, sure but the vast majority. And those who "accept" it, they always come up with something they disagree

gay marriage, gay parenting

#180 edy, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.