1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    It doesn't seem offensive, just really pointless.

2. haterade

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's offensive because they are not oppressed by society. They are the majority, and therefore by reiterating their dominance they just seem like assholes. Of course you are proud to be straight, no one shames you about it. We need gay pride because we are treated like second-class citizens, they are not. Simple as that.
    Also, it kind of seems like mockery. Like they are making fun of us for OUR pride.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2013 at 10:32 PM ----------

Also nobody brought up the fact that we allow straight people to participate in gay pride events. There's nothing better to see straight people out there helping us fight for our rights. It's great to make alliances like that. However it seems as though this so-called "straight pride" group does not want anyone except for straight people participating in any of their events or websites or whatever the hell they do.

3. Abbra

I don't really find it offensive so much as I see it as a group of people who really, really don't see the whole picture.

When you see a poster of a missing child, what do you see? Are you looking at the child? Are you looking at the clothes they are wearing, the look on their face? Do you look at their race, and do you look at their class and decide where they are standing socially? No, you don't. You look at the fact that a child has been taken from their home and is missing from their family.

Straight priders are basically the first group. They look at all the bells and whistles of the parade. They see the rainbow flags, and the drag queens. They watch as the big floats go by in a flurry of loud music, and they watch the lesbians as they gleefully kiss as they walk alongside the road. Straight priders look at the parade, but they never really think about what it's about. There isn't a question about why we do this, or why it matters. All they see is the parade, when they should really be seeing why we are having the parade.

To me, it isn't offensive so much as it's sad that somebody is so sheltered. It's hard for me to believe that someone is so out of touch with the world that they can't understand why gays need pride. Yet, that is often the case. They haven't seen the oppression, so they assume it isn't there. They say things like, "everybody accepts gays now" and "it shouldn't be such a big deal" because they themselves aren't in the line of fire, so they assume that there is no problem, and the the minority is simply making it up.

Another problem is that when you try to call minorities having pride as unequal, it can feel like the majority is just trying to take more things for themselves. It can be hurtful when the people above you socially are trying to just get more things. It would be like if you saved up for months to get a brand new Ferrari, only for your boss to get the exact same car. Yeah, it didn't take anything from you. But it feels cheap because you boss always had the means to buy the car, but you had to work your ass off to get it. In a way, it cheapens the victory. Especially if you were willing to share the car any time, with any one, including your boss if he wanted to.

I just find the mindset so strange. I think it's so weird that as homosexuals we think, "I want to be equal, and not ashamed of who I am. I want all the rights that are given to straight people, and I want being gay to be normal." Only to have some random straight person think, "I want to have a parade. Where's my parade, huh?"

4. haterade

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Jesus christ. Beautifully put, love me

5. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ that is fantastic

*sigh* Majorities dont get it, you dont need that kind of thing. You are already accepted, "minorities" arent.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As said above, I don't really find it offensive as a whole. Yes, there are some things that are offensive about it (such as some anti-gay propaganda), but I really find it pointless. There already is straight pride. Look around you. It's fucking everywhere. Hooters is across the street. Guys talking about the latest Playboy or Sports Illustrated issue, girls talking about the latest Us or People issue. Straight society is sexualized up the whazoo. Look at a romantic movie. Just close your eyes in the Romcom section, reach out your hand and pick a movie. It's probably about a straight couple. Even in movies and books that aren't comedy, there's a straight relationship. Next to the Hooters is an Abercrombie and Fitch, and next to that is Chick-Fil-A. Across the street from that is a bar displaying on a 70" plasma TV a football game. But the game is paused and an Old Spice commercial is playing. After the game is Family Guy. In the bar, there are many guys talking about the hot girls at the Hooters. Some of them are drunk and are planning on going over to "slap" some of "dat ass"

And they wonder why there isn't a Straight Pride parade or club? Because you might as well call it the Locker Room or even Life. It's everywhere no matter where you go. Thus, it's pointless. It's simply mercilessly beating a really dead horse.

7. blueberrymuffin

Pretty much everything is hetero-centric, so what is the need for "straight pride" except to belittle everyone else? The world is their outlet. I don't generally find anyone who says this unless on some level they have a problem with gay pride.

8. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You know when you win an argument on anything about LGBT, and then that one friend goes, "why cant you accept me for my beliefs? Homophobes are people too" (which i understand, except when he likes to quote leviticus to get on your nerves and calls everyone who annoys them f*gs)

That's sort of how its coming across to me. A (sad) attempt to say, "checkmate"

9. haterade

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Or "You need to respect my opinions" Right except my opinion doesn't OPPRESS anyone, you imbecile. Sorry but I find it hard to respect anyone who wants to take away or keep me from my basic human rights. :smilewave Like, buh bye.

10. Data

Data Guest

Those people are jealous and feel left out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well you could also say that the people that are so against it feel left out.

Let people have their groups. Jeez.

Straight people are not our enemies.

They are a select group that only like the opposite sex.
    As a group, they can have their manifests.

Why does a pride have to be about the same things? Our pride origin is different, but that doesn´t mean we have an exclusive on the name...

Why can´t they be proud? Should they be ashamed?

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it's offensive. Society is built around celebrating heterosexuality, nobody has ever been punished for being straight, nobody loses family. Life is basically straight pride, and if they're not happy with their feast, they can at least let us have the crumbs in the corner in peace.

13. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    Beautifully put Abbra, you win the internet :eusa_clap

14. Northern

Never has the LGTB parades been about just being gay, it is open to all sexualities and it isn't like they say "No you can't join in on the fun because you are straight"

Saying they want straight pride is ridiculous because they are not under scrutiny for being straight, they don't have to deal with the trouble you get just for liking someone from your own gender, or both genders or whatever you prefer. They have not had that struggle so why would they need a parade? Can I get a

"I don't need a fake leg parade" I mean I don't need them or have to deal with not having a leg, but I should get a parade for it right? Wrong

Just because you don't have that problem doesn't mean you get to have a parade because of it... It's like having a parade saying

"My family doesn't have money or food problems parade" When the people who need the parade are those who are struggling, because it helps bring awareness to the cause.

15. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks a lot, person on DA. Way to make the concept of 'straight pride' almost come off as sympathetic. :bang:

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´m sorry, it´s probably me not reading enough into it, but I don´t read they want a pride.
    I read that they are a art group that is called "Straight and proud".
    Why does everybody keep connecting it to pride events? Did I miss something?

17. Sabinian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not offensive, just misses the point.

18. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

@Boyfriend Cishets are not made to feel ashamed for their orientation. They can go on any other dA group and feel accepted for it. They should be grateful. Making a straight pride group shows they aren't grateful for their advantages; rather, they're denying them.

@Spatula :bang: & way for that guy to be cissexist & monosexist in the process.

Lots of cool comments since the last time this thread was revived. :slight_smile:

19. Roark

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I for one and am proud of this group. Its about time straight people united against the ignorance that can be this world. No longer will straight kids have to go to school in fear of being bullied and singled out because of their sexuality. No longer will couples of the opposit sex have to fight for basic civil liberties. Be proud my straight enduring bretheren. Be proud and prosper!

*smoke bomb*

20. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Unnecessary, not offensive, not if you don't let it offend you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.