1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's clearly offensive. People will sometimes blindly say that straight pride and Heterosexuality Awareness Month are okay as groups. Well, if you look into it, their content paints a much less savory picture.

The most offensive thing I have ever seen from them is the quote "our parents already know." To trivialize the sheer terror that we all felt when we came out to our parents is unconscionable.

Also, it's pretty much just White Pride World Wide reskinned as a straight identity group.

2. starfish

+1

It just shows they pretty much missed the point.

3. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I think it's stupid... and I'll be shot for saying this, but so are Gay Pride parades. I mean really, why are we out parading about such private, personal aspects of our lives? With that logic, why not have a pride parade for Red Heads? Or the left-handed? I rather see sexuality become a miniscule part of our lives, not defining our entire selves. We are more than who we sleep with.

4. Equalist

Equalist Guest

LOL, Heterosexuality Awareness Month.
    What aspect of heterosexuality could we possibly need to bring awareness to?

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    cm81990: That's true, and I feel like pride is maybe not the word I would have chosen. Visibility march, or solidarity march maybe. But not pride march. Many people identify themselves as having pride. They aren't saying that they are proud of being gay, necessarily. It's just the idea that they've conquered their shame, and the negation of shame is pride. On the other hand, the idea of surviving the oppression that society metes out is something to be proud of.

There are some problematic things that go on at pride parades, but that can just be chalked up to the fact that we all have different philosophies about how to move forward politically. If I were to go to a pride parade, even though I consider myself a radical queer and anti-assimilationist in terms of my politics, I'd still dress regularly at the parade. (I wouldn't be part of your leather or men in underwear crowd.) I think that it helps most to think of pride not as a political concept but a life stance.

#45 Pret Allez, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. Bearish

It's not like we don't see it everyday already. Why do you need a poster for something that is everywhere? You can do that when queers are in every single movie, story, textbook, and whatever straights are in. Then you can do it, because then that's us granting you equality.

7. Motov

Well said, I agree with this. Kinda like MLKjr's "I Had a dream speech" That part where he said (Paraphrased) We should be judged by the content of our character, and not by the color of our skin, (or sexual orientation).

8. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The idea of the group itself is fine, the problem is the sort of people that it attracts and it becoming a vehicle for hate masqueraded as something else. I personally think we need to cut back with the groups and the parades for "awareness" of any kind and actually try to spread messages more in general daily life.

9. knine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah...the pride think is about feeling good in spite of other peoples bad attitudes. this is just weird. Its too silly to be that offensive.

10. I'm with Minx.

11. jp16

Some person are gay, get over it.

12. Luke Matt

A little offensive. The way I see it, they're kind-of rubbing it in our faces (that they don't get discriminated against, are able to marry etc).

In all honesty, though, I don't really give a damn.

13. ForceAndVerve

You know, I can't wait for there to not be a need for "pride" events, because sexuality won't matter to people anymore.

14. Eatthechildren

Can you even imagine a straight pride event?
    It would be so boring.

15. ForceAndVerve

I can't actually imagine what a straight pride event would look like. :confused:

16. SAAB900TURBO

It is so ridiculous to me I don't even know what to say. Are they also asking for equality? LOL!

17. It looks like they are mocking Gay Pride to me.

18. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    tbh, being proud of being straight kind of goes with out saying because most people are straight and everyone assumes your straight

19. Phoenixaaa

I am glad someone gets the undertone this suggestion portrays.

It just seems so ridiculous and vendictive, from the perspective of a person who is not a part of that majority.

#59 Phoenixaaa, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.