1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

Its the same thing as being proud to be white almost. The reason lot of people will frown on it, is because with white people, we have abused so many others based off the fact they aren't white. So its kind of the same for straight people. For both things to be ok, (white and straight pride that is) will be after a long time when the things are more in the past.

2. edgy

edgy Guest

i honestly do not care

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a very dumb concept, when you break it down.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Dunno about offensive but pretty fucking stupid. I mean, I'm gonna admit, I was a guy who up until pretty recently thought white history month should be a thing because 'oh why do we have black history month- shouldn't that just be part of history already?'

But...no. Why would straight people need pride? The whole intent (at least starting out) is to celebrate the queer community's existence in the face of historical discrimination. Straight people don't need that. Straight people were never told they were mentally ill, disturbed, sick, or a sin for the same reasons a queer person was historically.

So, there's nothing wrong with being proud of your sexuality. There's nothing inherently bad about being straight or liking that part of yourself. But...eh. I don't think we're at the point where it needs to be a specific counter to gay pride.

5. edgy

edgy Guest

lovely :eusa_clap let's keep it that way. If it bugs you then close your damn window or door

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's not offensive but isn't every day straight pride I turn on the tv and it's straight pride all day

7. edgy

edgy Guest

(!)

8. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's ridiculous

9. literalmerida

It bothers me a little bit, because it's kind of like... Coming out as straight on "Coming Out Day." Coming out is really difficult for some people, so when a person "comes out" as straight, it's almost like they're mocking the community and it's harmful.
    Having a straight pride group often leads to the bashing of homosezuality, or at least that's what I've seen in the past.

10. swagmaster

i think white history month in general is stupid because white people in general are not a repressed minority in the united states however judging by some of the shit thats on tv italian history month might not be such a bad idea.i don't think its the same thing as how black people are treated and i'm not italian so maybe its not my place to speak but the fact the jersey shore was on tv at all tells me theres something wrong.if you were to have the same show and have it be with black people in harlem there would have been fucking riots.same goes for the fact that every character who's Italian on tv is a criminal anda talksa like thisa.the truth is that we have more or less decided that because the people its against are technically white, even if its a small portion of the population that is underrepresented and even if its still ethnically based it isn't real racism and does not really matter.you can't immediately tell by looking a character is Italian and therefore p.r. does not deem it necessary to have a token Italian that is not either Mario or evil. thus people don't feel squeamish about it and a character like Mario who is a funny lower class italian who lives in Brooklyn and TALKSA LIKE THISA is totally okay.as a society its one of many examples of racism that we have decided is okay and justified. [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVr34QCF_c[/YOUTUBE]

11. swagmaster

yeah i think it depends.
    i imagine if your straight but dressed like a woman and we were counting that as a separate category it might not be in much the same way someone celebrating irish or jewish heritage usually does not become racist in quite the same way white power is.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread is from June 2014. Please remember to check dates before posting :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.