1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

On deviantART there are many submissions on straight pride. The images in posts I will submit below are some examples. There is even a straight pride club. Below is the description.

Is this straight pride offensive? Are they missing the point of pride? Is straight pride okay as long as they support queer pride? Is straight pride only offensive if they're anti-queer?

#1 stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  2. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Here are some straight pride examples.

Attached Files:

#2 stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  3. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

There are also many submissions against pride in general. (Note: I did not find submissions of this nature in the straight pride club.)

*I have chosen to leave out anything from I-Take-It-Back, a homophobic user who submits many, many things against queer pride.

Attached Files:

4. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

More examples.

Attached Files:

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lol. Meh.

The best thing you do is ignore these lsjtfggfc;s'a,694mm ;jjirg.

Oh, l'm sorry that was me falling asleep on my keyboard. The best thing you can do is ignore, it is yawn-inducing and they want attention. now if you will excuse me l have an appointment to watch some paint dry.

looking at this though, lol really? [​IMG]

people who don't understand how to create something that sounds even slightly catchy should uh...they should...oh, l know, they're boring! Burrrrrnnnn!

#5 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. Minx

I'm not sure what to think of it.

It almost gives that impression of: "They have a party, doll, action figure, firetruck - I wanna have a party, doll, action figure, firetruck too." Mentality. :lol:

7. photoguy93

The one I agree with is the "just proud" one. I see certain groups or organizations, and I think "well, we shouldn't have that, anyway." Like, the recent talks about the VAWA (Violence Against Women Act.) That really needs to pass - but we shouldn't have violence against anyone, PERIOD.

Although we should be able to be proud of ourselves, the ones with the rainbow crossed out or "straight pride parade" just piss m eoff. It's just a bunch of people that don't get it.

8. Eatthechildren

Why don't we have a straight pride parade?
    Why don't we have a white history month?
    Why don't we have an international mens day?
    Why don't we have a hospital for well people?
    Why don't we have soup kitchens for rich people?
    Why don't we have cemeteries for alive people?

9. Eric

I'm not sure when ugly gifs began to qualify as art.

I don't really think it's particularly offensive unless the group is devoted to making sexual minorities feel ashamed. On the other hand, the whole X Pride movement has always been about empowering those who were made to be less than other people. As far as I know, straight people were never oppressed because they were straight.

10. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Oops I replaced that one stamp.

Attached Files:

11. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

:roflmao:

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Let's make white pride month too!! NO. Wait. Heterosexual white male month. There we go. That'll teach them dirty, "oppressed" sobs always shoving their sexuality and culture into our faces.

13. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

:lol:

14. photoguy93

Can that include heterosexual white men making decisions for women appreciation day? I think that should happen... :wink:

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2013 at 11:19 AM ----------

I'm glad I wasn't eating when I was reading this. Love it! Especially the last part..... that's just too part.

15. Motov

I guess the shoe is on the other foot now, Straight people have as much right to parade as the gays do, as long as they keep their message positive, and do not display anti gay sentiment. I won't go to gay pride due to the fact many are out there flaunting their stuff.
    That's not what I am about, we should be proud, but that is not pride, It is more like a sex party. If we want to be taken seriously, we need to keep the X-rated stuff off the streets.
    We must show the world we can be civil and be gay and we can function in society just as well as the straight people do.

16. SkyDiver

As long as they're not bashing homosexuality, it really doesn't bother me.

I believe we'll be seeing more of this as homosexuality becomes more accepted in society.

17. sugarcubeigloo

Eh. Just sounds like someone who wants attention and trying to create a "controversial" group. But whatever, it doesn't bother me any.

18. kem

kem

I think straight pride is good in the same way gay pride is. I don't feel "proud" because I happen to be a certain way, but if someone does, great for them. However I think what seems to be the problem with that group is that many users submit homophobic "art". There seem to be some great submissions though, like that "We should just have love parades" stamp.

19. Ianthe

Honestly, I suspect the straight pride group is sort of tongue-in-cheek, at least for most members.

Anti-gay stuff is obviously offensive.

20. Just Jess

:lol: You said it better than I was going to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.