1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elliezenny

Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it more hilarious than offensive tbh
    people who support it are idiots

2. kem

kem

Yeah, that's pretty much the way it is. Rotten two-faced bigots – they won't openly discriminate, but their body language, their choice of words and their reactions to everything you say exude disdain. There's a lot of 'us and them'-ideology; though I suppose it is the same anywhere you are.
    off-topic: Helsinki is such a beautiful city. I especially like that buildings are kept small and there are a lot of parks, it makes the city breathe. I want to live there.

Edit: oh and I should clarify that by LGBT counter protest I meant LGBT-folk protesting straight pride.

3. ScatteredEarth

I find it funny that they would think they are being discriminated against. But there really isn't any pride aspect to having a sexual attraction.. It's not something that you work towards to be proud of.. It's just there.. Why feel proud of something that's been stuck on you your entire life? Just be happy for yourself and have no regrets and that's the only 'pride' you need.

4. wickerpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Every day is "straight pride". Just like every month is "white history month".
    People with such privilege who don't face discrimination based on race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation have no need of any special event to celebrate who they are. They celebrate it every day. I'm not "proud" of being white because white people have not suffered discrimination. Maybe I'm proud of some white figures in history, or some of our inventions, or discoveries, but I am in no way proud of most of what white people have done in the past. My race hasn't "earned" anything or any identity to be proud of. Gay people can be proud of being gay because they have fought their way past discrimination to be who they are, like ethnic minorities.
    Sure, go ahead, you can be proud to be straight, that's not illegal. But it doesn't make any sense. Why be proud of an identity that most of the world has and no one suffers for? And let's face it, no one is really adamant about being "proud" of being straight or white without some sinister racist or homophobic undertones.
    I would say that straight pride is offensive. No one should be proud of an identity that consistently throws LGBTQIA people under the bus.

If there was a such thing as straight pride that had absolutely no homophobic intentions or undertones, fine, go ahead, not offensive at all. The question, I think, is is that possible. Most likely not.

5. Sleepy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a little bit offensive... Like when there are gay pride events they don't exclude straight people from participating. Straight people aren't victims because most people are straight so I don't really get the straight pride club since most people are straight and proud naturally... I'm confused

6. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For one, there has never really been any inequality in being straight, no oppression and no need to change anything.

Gay Pride originally started as a protest to fight for equality.

Today, I personally think any 'pride' is offensive as it has lost it's meaning completely where it was once a protest meeting it is now a drug and alcohol fuelled limp wristed leather wearing slutfest, and that's me trying to be polite :wink:

7. Hot Pink

It isn't offensive so much as it is needless. It is still offensive, though, because it trivializes the hardships of the LGBT community. The reason why have Pride is to remember those who fought. Remember those who died. Remember those who stood up because they couldn't take it anymore. When's the last time straight people needed to fight to go to a bar without being arrested for being straight? When's the last time a straight person feared for their life because they were straight? When's the last time a straight person felt left out because they don't have any representation in the media? When was the last time a straight person was raped, killed, cut up into pieces, and thrown into a river because they were straight?

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being straight is just as pride-worthy as being bi, gay, pan, ace, whatever. If we're encouraging everyone to love who they are and shit, isn't it pretty dickish to say straight people can't be proud of who they are?

9. Hot Pink

Sure they can. Hell, every single damn day is straight pride day. Just look around you. Straight pride is everywhere. It's when they do it to satirize gay pride or to blatantly oppose it that there's a problem.

10. Ian85

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People are mistaking the intent of a Pride parade by defining Pride as "a high opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority". In which case, yes, straight people deserve a Straight Pride, because if we have a high opinion of ourselves because we're gay, they're entitled to have a high opinion of themselves because they're straight.

But in my opinion, Pride is more about this:
    No one is shaming, ridiculing, or disapproving of you for being straight.

I think the Straight Pride movement mostly stems from ignorance. People who think we're celebrating being gay instead of celebrating not being afraid or ashamed of being gay.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Usually, whenever people ask for straight pride I'm just "Whatever idiots. Have fun celebrating shit that's prided every day."

Same idiots ask for white history month. And I have to wonder, when was the last time they picked up an American history textbook? How tragic that white representation is so far and few between. Only 80% of the historical figures we'll be discussing are white. No one ever thinks of white people.

:dry:

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's like the people who complain about the Aboriginal Tent Embassy, saying that it's unrepresentative. With two Indigenous Australians in the entire parliament, you'd think they'd realise how necessary it is.

The same goes for straight pride. Society is straight pride (well, white, straight male pride), and they have the impudence to complain the one day a year we're the focus of attention?

13. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no issues with it. I love when straight people get butthurt over LGBT parades...nothing is stopping you from having a straight parade.

14. Djinn

Sounds like they're people who completely forget the actual purpose of gay pride and want to feel special while having a club they can call their own.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Again, straight pride is unnecessary. Cisgender, heterosexual people are catered to every single day in society. Bonus points if you're male and white.

LGBT pride is acknowledging our strengths and our struggles, living as ourselves and dealing with overcoming what cissexist, hetereosexist society throws at us; trying to belittle our hardships while we come to terms with accepting ourselves as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, ect.

Straight people don't have to deal with oppression for being straight. They can celebrate their heterosexual orientation twenty-four/seven, 365 days a year if they want, yet they fuss if the queer community has one day, week, or month of celebration.

It is as illogical as white pride, or celebrating white history.

16. Ohhai

I don't get why we can be proud of being lgbt, but they can't be proud of being straight? Yeah they may face no discrimination over it, but still.., be proud of who you are. Oh, and I'd totally support a 'human being pride' :lol:

17. Night

Night Guest

Straights need to have fun too!

There's nothing wrong with straight pride - I find it amusing and acceptable.

18. AmityRanch

Let's hope that never happens.

19. Stripe101

20. AmityRanch

That makes no sense.
    Please elaborate.

Also, aren't you the one bashing straight people for not letting them be 'proud' of themselves?
    How come your sexuality is permitted to have a couple parades, but straight people can't do the same without offending you?

How the hell does that make any sense?
    I'm white, and I'm not an oppressor.
    My ancestors MIGHT have been, but does that mean I have to be punished for their crimes?
    Hell no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.