1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got it sooooo bad! Make it stop!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RJay, Jun 18, 2017.

1. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RJay, stop over thinking things and second guessing her motives haha. She mentioned it back in June and then brought it up again, so I don't think she feels obligated to invite you, at the very least she enjoys your friendship, you are going to have to work on accepting this.
    So let me get this straight they are leaving on Thursday and the she I see coming back minus the kids on Friday and leaving again Sunday morning??

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  2. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today is Tuesday, they are leaving tomorrow Wednesday morning. V comes back without the kids on Friday evening and then heads back to the beach for good on Sunday morning. And I don't have my kid on Saturday, so perhaps I will see her then. I will offer to help her load up the car.

dreamingfreely likes this.
  3. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Giving you some tough love right now: Stop second guessing her intentions! I know it's hard, especially when the situation is so uncertain. But why would you be a burden to her? I think you need to work on some self-love, hard as it may be. You're obviously amazing and I think it's pretty obvious she thinks so too (romantically or not).

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  4. zumbaqueen

I hope you get to see her Saturday.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha ok so I appa entry have no idea what day it is haha sorry.
    Yes offer to pack the car or offer her a child free dinner for two :wink:.

LostInDaydreams and RJay like this.
  6. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I saw V today she said she couldn't believe she hadn't seen me since Thursday and that it felt very strange to go so long.

dreamingfreely likes this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just the thing I say to people who are a burden on my life haha

8. zumbaqueen

When she says stuff like that how can you not think that she is feeling something for you.

LostInDaydreams and RJay like this.
  9. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See?!

LostInDaydreams, Orchidea123 and RJay like this.
  10. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because she is straight.

I sent her a pic of our kids. She said, "So cute. I love the way J is looking at C." I wrote back, "Yes, he is completely smitten. There's a lot of that going around."

driedroses and Orchidea123 like this.
  11. TravelFever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Subtle :joy:

12. MettaButch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've read this entire thread, twice. Your story has all the staying power of what my Mom would have called "a good gripper." I really feel for you and what you're going through, but I'm afraid that this is not going to work out the way you hope. I agree with your friend who "thinks V is just really vulnerable and lonely and has latched onto me because of all the positive attention I give her. She thinks I'm in too deep and need to back away because this is a person who has boundary issues and may be using me though it could be completely unconsciously." V herself told you: "She thinks she wants to get her emotional needs met with her friends and her kids and have an occasional fling with whatever guy she can hook up with." What that says to me is that she's comfortable with 'emotional lesbianism,' but would turn to men to meet her physical needs. She also told you that she's in recovery from alcohol dependence: "She wound up telling me all about how she feels she has a pattern of getting into friendships really deep and then failing at them, AND she admitted something I was already pretty sure about which is that she's in recovery with AA because of alcohol." Why the conjunction of those two ideas, failing at deep friendships and alcohol abuse? My wild-ass guess is that in the past, one or two of her "deep friendships," aided by alcohol, has gone some place she wasn't comfortable. Then she pulled away and blamed herself for the "failure" of the friendship. I also agree with your brother's opinion: "she may have low self esteem issues and may not imagine that you could have feelings for her, but she is not a stupid person, so I find that hard to believe." She may be so dependent on you or feel she needs you so much that she doesn't want to tell you right out that she isn't interested. Her bringing up a past boyfriend may have been as close as she felt she could get to telling you. Falling for straight women doesn't usually end up like Tig's romance, and I've known more than a few dykes who used faux romances with straight women to avoid the very real terror of dating or courting much more willing and available women.

RJay and idsm like this.
  13. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree with all to some degree here and there. Love the NYC skyline pic with your son!
    Regarding the texts: my friends do this all the time and we are All Platonic, I swear.
    Here is a small text copy paste:

Super❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Here is another:
    Oh. She even tried garlic bread ❤❤❤❤.

Here is one more:
    ❤❤ hugs. Will try to sleep.

One more(bunch of smiley hugs plus this):
    Flight leaves shortly. ❤❤❤❤

I am Not a huggy crazily in your face type of friend but these I get constantly, sometimes several times /day.
    BTW these are not teen texts - grown mom friends.

#513 Orchidea123, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    RJay likes this.
  14. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Looking back on this post, all these crazy hearts are just an exadurated way to communicate in order to keep texts fun and exciting.
    What you have with V is a mutual understanding and the texts show it.
    Hope my previous post was not too much of a show off (I tend to do it sometimes:wink:

15. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG, what a day. V was in a state over various things going on, so while I was watching her kids all day, I was also texting with her at length... talking her down, reassuring her. We all met up for dinner and had a great time. She reiterated her invitation for later in the month, and I told her I'd understand if it seemed like "too much" to have us visit, but she wouldn't hear of it... she said that it would be great to have us. So that's that.

Now the shitty part is that I kept doing the "stuff" I keep doing. I just can't help it. Played with her fingers across the dinner table, ran my fingers through her hair while we were walking home and all that lame stuff. She doesn't miss a beat when I do that stuff. She just keeps talking like it's not even happening. Doesn't pull her hand away, but doesn't reciprocate at all. This is not good. I'm almost certain she is hoping that if she just doesn't react, I will cut it out and pull myself together. She probably just feels bad for me. When she left with the kids, I just broke down crying. Completely bereft.

So now I'm completely overwrought again. Therapy tomorrow. PLUS I signed up for 4 sessions with a life coach online who I've been following for years and who seems ideally suited for helping me get a grip. I hope she helps. It might be bad that she looks just like V and I find her terribly attractive, but at least she isn't local. We will talk on the phone.

16. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We had this interesting text exchange today about "intuition" and how we shouldn't let our brains override our feelings. But, I have this sinking feeling I was talking about one thing, and she was talking about something else entirely. Wires completely crossed. I mean, when I talk about this stuff, it's always in regards to my feelings for her, because that is the biggest thing going on in my life right now. She seems to be speaking more generally. I just wonder if she reads between the lines of what I'm saying at all! Probably not!

It came up because V had a feeling of foreboding this morning, and thought she shouldn't drive her car. Then she did drive the car and had a minor accident. That was one of the things I was texting her down from while watching the kids.

V:
    I think what I learned from this is to pay attention to how I'm feeling, and if I am off like I felt I was this morning, I should really not drive. I kind of got a subtle feeling that I should take the train, but I overrode it because I thought it would be more convenient... From now on I'll pay more attention to those signals.

R:
    Hmmm. Sounds like you have good intuition and should listen.

V:
    Yes. Every time I have ignored my intuition I have always regretted it. The trouble is that I am so used to ignoring it. This was a good wake up call. With relatively minor consequences.

R:
    I think people like us tend to think we are so smart (because we are) and then we allow our intellect to override our feelings. We try to "think" our way out of things and think our way into things. And it never goes well because some things just shouldn't be controlled like that.

V:
    Yes, that's definitely true

R:
    My brain and my instincts are at war every day.

V:
    Yes, absolutely. This may sound cheesy but I love Oprah - I mean I never really watched her show much but I feel like she's very spiritually evolved and I must follow her on FB because I see little excerpts from her interviews in my thread, and anyway I saw one last night as I was on my way to bed, where she was basically talking about the importance of listening to your intuition. She said your intuition is always speaking to you throughout your life, but it speaks in whispers, and you have to learn to hear it then when it's whispering, because if you ignore it it starts to have to shout to get your attention, and that is the accidents and negative situations that come into your life to get your attention about a directional change to make, and if you keep ignoring the voice then it will have to yell louder and louder to get your attention through more and more disruptive means.

R:
    That sounds right and wise.

V:
    So the time to catch it is when it's whispering, and that's what I have a very hard time doing because the other "voices" in my head are so much louder.

R:
    I relate completely. I kind of envy people who on the surface seem impulsive or not too thoughtful. Sigh.

#516 RJay, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so can you put to bed your thoughts that she just feels obliged to invite you? Even if it isn't just as a friend she wants you to visit.

Ok I think there are a couple of things to look at here. Firstly I really don't think the things you do can make her that uncomfortable, I mean maybe she doesn't like you like that, or maybe she doesn't understand why she doesn't mind the things you do, but if someone did all of those things to me and I felt uncomfortbale there is absolutely no way I could just keep talking. I also think that fair enough the first once or twice you did it maybe she could have thought that if she ignored it then it would stop but if she thinks that now she is really naive.

I get where your therapist is coming from with the whole learning to just let things be and ride them out and she must know what she is talking about but I do feel for you RJay. You've been through so much with your marriage and divorce and figuring out your sexuality and you are finally in a place where you are free to find love with the right person for you and now you are caught up in this brain killer of a situation where it is absolutely impossible to know what exactly is going on. There is apart of my head (probably the romantic part) which wants to whole heartedly tell you if you sit it out long enough V will realise how she feels about you and you will both live happily ever after, or at least have a relationship. Then there is another part of my brain that is arguing that you could be her in a years times and we could still be having these conversations and V will still be not reciprocating but not putting you off either. Whether that be because she feels she needs that contact with someone but doesn't want a man in her life, or because she has feelings for you but she hasn't accepted that part of her and that has logiced it out that if she only goes that far it doesn't need make her gay. V is a very complex person (and I don't mean that in a bad way) she is recently divorced, she admitted to an alcohol issue etc etc, I think this makes her harder to read. There are a million reasons and things that could be going on in V's mind and we just don't know. So I guess the question is how long are you willing to be in this situation, I mean I'm not saying you shouldn't be here friend but I am wondering if you should check out some other dating avenues. I know it seems scary and why would you do that when you think you have the perfect woman in front of you, but I just wondered if meeting some other women and going on some dates or at least chatting to them would make what you have less intense, whilst potentially helping you realise that women will like you. I'm not saying completely give up on V, but it doesn't have to be her or nothing. You can keep seeing V and if she suddenly decides you are what she wants then you can ditch the other avenues but if she doesn't you won't have left all your eggs in one basket.

Are you going to follow your own advice??

I do agree it is most likely you are talking about different things here although always difficult to tell.

I will be interested to hear what the therapist and life coach have to say.

18. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Rjay,

I think you have a lot of insight re:V. And I think that you are reading the things V does and says, and doesn't do and say, probably correctly.

Really weird/coincidental that you mention this conversation you had with V about intuition. I have often referenced the site 'Baggage Reclaim' --posts are always on target, always make me say 'OMG yes!' Writer is just a woman who has lived for years with self esteem 'stuff', spent years not listening to her gut, in her relationships and other aspects of life. And so honestly, and refreshingly directly (and humorously!) shares what she has learned along the way. But just yesterday I was reading a post about listening to intuition, your gut, the 'whisper'. And I read something in it that really made an impact. I've kind of tossed it around in my mind a bit. Makes so much sense.

'If you're not listening to your gut---you're ignoring you, and you're ignoring reality--while potentially operating in a high bullshit environment.'
    -Natalie Lue, Baggage Reclaim
    Told you she was direct! But I love the way she puts things.

Bottom line is we don't know what will happen with V, since you two haven't spoken about it yet. Tig stories DO happen, but are no doubt a BIG exception.

I will throw this thought into the mix. I would not expect V to be the one to stop the dynamic going on between you. As she certainly is quite fine with lots of physical contact from you. She is gaining something from it. (Exactly what is still a question anything from she's into you but scared to show it to it filling another unrelated need...) People have to have incentive to stop dynamics in their life--- no incentive to stop them, they will continue. I am guessing that if the physical contact, the overall closeness of the you two is becoming too much for you (and I think it would be for me!) then you would have to be the one to stop it. I don't think she will, because I don't think she has a lot of incentive TO stop it.

I'm sorry you were crying and so upset last night, I know this is so hard. The emotions are just so pointed! High, low...I get it. And all of your tribe is here for you :slight_smile:

silverhalo likes this.
  19. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, guys. I have a feeling, which you know I've had on and off for a while, that something is going to have to give -- sooner rather than later.

20. zumbaqueen

If it were me, I couldn't take it anymore. I would just have to have a resolution, good or bad, so I could move on mentally. I'm seeing my lady friend on Saturday and I need to talk with her. I'm still not sure how she feels about me and the ambiguity is driving me nuts. I'm asking her and then depending on the answers I'll either continue my relationship with her or I need to move on. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.