1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I will beat "Gay" :)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by germanion, Jun 20, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi germanion,

Remember, this is NOT the end, it is the beginning. Way too early to assume anything or make decisions.

Can you afford or have access to counselling? If so ensure the counsellor is right for what you face. Last thing you need is a dogmatic fundamentalist moron (enough adjectives?) telling you what is right for you. You need a guide who helps you find yourself regardless of who you are.

I would see a counsellor ASAP. Maybe before you tell your gf. Not months down the road but in days or weeks.

I literally called councillors and asked their position on LGBT counselling. I also took the position that if I had to speak to a counsellor my opening statement had to be "I have an issue with my sexuality". To me anything else would be like going to a travel agent and forcing them to guess where I want to go. Wastes everybody's time.

This is not a negative time for you. It is a time of self discovery. Be optimistic and open.

#61 skiff, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  2. germanion

germanion Guest

it's too late Skiff

I told her everything .. I was planning today to tell her that I am sick with infertility problems .. I thought that by this I wont hurt her and at the same time I will end this relationship and stay friends ... I called her I told her there is something very important I want to tell her about ... but I couldn't say anything .. I was totally paralyzed and afraid to death ..the first sentence came out from my mouth is " Lara I am gay " ... she then started laughing and told me that are u kidding with me so plz stop it .. I didn't know what to answer .. I told her yes baby I was kidding ... but I couldn't ... I told her then no I am not kidding this is the truth ... I am Gay or at least I am not straight , there is something wrong inside me ... then she started laughing in hysterical way .. I was very afraid at that moment because I know her , I know when she laughs like this this mean she is in a shock .. then she told me I am sure you are kidding .. no I am not .. then why ??? why u did this me .. I started explaining but useless .. she started crying and hanged up the phone ...I was really terrified .. she sent a msg then that she doesn't want to talk to me anymore and she will tell my mother .. I was begging her not to do that ..I know that my mother will suffer from heart attack but she did'nt reply ....

Yes I lost her ... she was my love and my best friend .. I shared with her everything ... she was the only one whom I trust and love .. I used to share with her everything ... my hapiness when I am happy ..my sadness when I am sad ... even if she is away from me but we were together the whole day chatting ..she was the first one and the last one I talk in my day ... she loved me so much ... and now after I lost her I know that I love her so much .. she will leave a very big gap in my life ..nobody can fill this gap ever .. I just wanted to be with her .. we had our list of the things that we will do together when we get married .. our family car that should be big enough to carry all our stuff when we go to spain for the vacation ... our little apartment with only one rroom and a kitchen until we have kids then we can buy a bigger apartment and then our family house ... everthing is gone now and I am here alone ... my family is far away from me .. my friends don't know what is going on with me since I started questioning .. I am just alone in this world .

What is the meaning of this life without being with someone who loves you the most .. I can't be with another one ..neither a man nor a woman ... no body will fill the gap ...I just wanted to be with her .. but I love her ... I am a human being .. I didn't choose to be like this I swear .. I tried my best to suppress but I failed...this is beyond my power and will ... god why you did this to me ??! why ??!! I didn't do anything wrong in my life .. I didn't kill anyone or rape anyone or steal from anyone !! but yes this is my fate ......

And now what !! I lost her , maybe I will lode my family if she told my mother and I lost myself.. I feel that I am totally alone ...

I just want to tell her "whatever you are doing now whatever feelings you have against me but believe me I love you so much and I did this for you , you will be happy soon , you will forget me and you will be with the one who deserves you but not me..."

Darkness everywhere .. I can only see the dark now .. I am so blind and drunk ...very heavy suicidal thoughts are playing in my head now .. I lost every meaning in this life..I lost the connection with reality I even dont remeber what I did at the morning .. I feel that this is a nightmare and I will wake up tomorow and I will find the regular msg from her "good morning baby" ....but no this is real ... I can't do anything now .. just cry ...

Thank you all guys .. thank you very much even the ones who were very harsh on me .. I know that you did this because you wanted to help me and her.. and you succeed .. at least you saved her from the monster me ...

3. Hefiel

Stop referring to yourself as a monster. There's nothing wrong with you, you're just struggling with your emotions at the moment, which is very normal of people coming to terms with their sexuality and the breaking of a relationship.

It is unfortunate that you had to let go of her, but remember that it is not strictly for her sake, but for your sake as well even if the current times may seem very dark for you. That you'd have to lie to yourself and those around you continuously to be able to be with someone you love is a very sad life when you could instead be truthful with yourself and be in a relationship with someone you don't have to hide from.

Which isn't to say that the future events you'll be faced with will necessarily be positive, but that at the end of the road you'll be happier with yourself after you've passed through all those obstacles.

4. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    You were very brave to tell her, Germanion. I'm sorry that her reaction hurt you, and was not more supportive. But just because is angry and not supportive now does not mean that she will stay that way. This is big news. She needs time to process it, and it sounds like she was surprised so that means that she is only just now beginning to process it.

Are you familiar with the stages of grief? Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. It sounds like your girlfriend got through denial and into anger. And that is okay because those are two steps on the way to acceptance. Also, she is likely mourning the loss of your relationship. I know it is hard, but give her time and give her a little space. You may end up with your friend back as she lets this information settle in.

Would you like to maybe write her a letter explaining your feelings to her? Maybe about how you didn't mean to hurt her and that you cared for her as a person completely and that you still consider her a dear friend? It doesn't sound like your phone conversation lasted long enough for you to say everything that you wanted/needed to say and what you thought she needed to hear from you. You might feel better if you wrote that all down for her.

Hang in there, Germion. It gets better. (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

5. Aldrick

Germanion -

You are not a monster. I know you feel you are in a dark place right now, but things are not as dark as they seem. The fact that you told her the truth shows how much you cared for her - as hard as things feel right now, just imagine lying to her, marrying her, and then revealing the truth years later? It hurts right now, but it would have hurt even more later. The loss of a relationship is always hard, and it is even harder under these circumstances.

By being brave you've given her the freedom she deserves, but you've also freed yourself. Yes, it's painful, but in the end - even if it doesn't seem so right now - it will have been worth it. Years down the road, you will not look back upon this moment with regret, even if you still look back on it with sadness - you know you've done the right thing.

Now, let us discuss her threats of telling your mother and family. Does she have any proof of her claims? None that I can see. You spoke through a phone conversation. My advice - if she does this - is simply to lie. There is no reason you have to confirm what she tells your mother or anyone else for that matter.

I know you would not want to do this, but if you are not ready to come out then you have options. There could be many reasons that your relationship ended, that in turn left her angry, and then caused her to spread malicious gossip about you. If your mother and family are as homophobic as you believe that they are, then denial will be the first stage they enter into if she tells them. If you deny it, then it makes it easier for them to remain in denial, and thus they will be more likely to believe you.

As frightening as her threats may seem, without proof, it becomes your word against hers. And who is your family more likely to believe? You or your ex-girlfriend who is angry and emotional after you called off the relationship?

I suggest you look into counseling if you don't have someone already. Having someone you can talk to during this time will help. Please keep us updated on how you're feeling, and know that you're not alone. The community is here to support you.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,

You are one strong guy! You have heart and guts. Anybody, and I mean anybody would be lucky to have you in their life. Not many with your courage.

Next couple of days may be hard but this darkness will lift.

Why not find that old gay friend now, apologize and then talk yourself out to him. He may be the sounding board you need. Anybody you know who is gay should be able to relate.

It is no comfort to a young fellow like you coming from an older guy like me but I have looked my entire life for a guy with your passion and heart. You will find a new love. You did nothing wrong, a homophobic society has created this. Do you see one, ONE, healthy, sane societal role model you can relate to or sets a healthy role model for your sexuality? How many role models for straights? You did not create this society did.

Find somebody to talk to, somebody who can help you heal.

7. PeteNJ

You are a man who is willing to listen to his heart and soul and know who he is!

Look at the dozens of us here on the journey. Men and women who grew up trying to meet the expectations of their family, school, church. Society. --- but simply realized that's NOT who we are!

I believe in God, higher power, who made me this way. For a purpose. To be in this world and give back, to love, be happy. And make a. Difference for he planet

You, friend, are finally on the journey and path meant for you,

I send my profound co tratukations, I send hugs, and please keep posting. You're not alone, and in the future you will meet and be happy with the man who is your soulmate.

8. Reptillian

Alright, you did what you think was the right thing to do. Keep us posted. Judging from what I read, you did loved her and my guess is that you still love her now. Now, it would be a good time to see if you truly are a heteroromantic homosexual, or just a homosexual. From reading your other posts, you don't seem to be interested into emotional connection with men at all which suggests me that you are one of both.

If you are a heteroromantic homosexual and you want to be back, it'd be nice to apologize, but explain that love and lust is not the same thing and you don't want to do anything with her much at a sexual level. You'd rather be with her for emotional company. This is all assuming you still want her.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First, you're a strong person, able to make tough decisions and stick to your guns, and that's very admirable. Another user said LGBT people were resilient; 'born from fire', and this certainly applies here as well. You've moving through the stages of coming out faster than many older posters, even, so give yourself some credit.

At the very least, you no longer have to worry over hiding a significant part of yourself to someone so close to you, someone you could have spent a lot more time hiding your true self from, maybe even for years, hurting her and yourself a lot worse down the line. That's on top of accepting the fact that you're gay, which, I think for most people are the hardest two steps.

You've lost a lot: breaking up hurts on both sides; coming out to yourself and others hurts on all sides. Give yourself time to grieve and to reach out if you need to. You have the rest of your life to figure things out and to enjoy, and EC isn't going anywhere. Every out and proud non-straight person on EC has probably gone through similar steps, so your story isn't out of the ordinary or an exception; they've been through it and are in a place to advise, sympathize, and encourage you.

You're doing just fine. :eusa_clap

10. robotman

How do you actually plan on beating it though? you can't just switch your feelings off? thats impossible, even if you do you won't be fully happy... Have you tried to accept your feelings?

11. Amerigo

^ he has since moved on from the original post

12. germanion

germanion Guest

Thank you all guys for the nice words .. thanks from all my heart .

The past days were difficult but I feel more comfortable now .. no more panic attacks ..no more stress... I can sleep at night , not that deep sleep I wake up every hour and sleep again but it is better than being awake the whole night..but I cant say that I am fine .. I feel very deep sadness and depression ... I took a test online and the result was severe depression ... I dont want to talk to psychiatrist , I want to cope with this alone and I feel that I can do it ... there is a sound inside me tells me that everything will be ok soon ...so if you guys have some advices to cope with this please tell me because I think most of you have been in the same situation before .

My brain sometime tries to make me deny again but I dont want , I dont want to go into that infinite loop again .. I was reading alot about homosexuality recently ,I read alot of researches and articles for (Sigmund Freud , Evelyn Hooker and others) to understand this topic better .. most of them stated that homosexuality is not a mental disorder ..so being a homosexual doesn't make me worse or less than the others .. and it is not something wrong ... I feel more comfortable with my sexuality and I feel I am on my way to accept it soon .

Actually what makes me very glad that I discovered this now not after 10 years .. maybe at that time I would be married and maybe have kids which will make this thing worse ... so thank you guys for helping me discover this now ... a very big kiss and hug to all of you :slight_smile:

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Find that old friend and apologize for your treatment of him. If he accepts you pour out your heart to him if he is willing to listen.

Somebody real who can hug you is much better for you.

Find somebody to talk to you trust who may have insight.

Your old friend is a good example.

14. germanion

germanion Guest

Hi Skiff

I found that guy on facebook , I was wondering if I should send him a friend request and apologize to him or not .. I am afraid of what his reaction will be .. but every time I see his profile I have a nice feeling that this guy will understand me and will understand my feelings.. I hope he will accept my apology .

15. FemCasanova

You are not alone, even if you don`t go see a psychiatrist. There are people here who care deeply, who has posted to let you know so. Hang on to that. We can relate, we can understand, we DO care. Per definition, if someone is there for you, then you are not alone, and we are (*hug*) It might not be the perfect scenario, because you deserve a friend who can be there to hug you in physical form, but you can find a friend like that, you can find real love, real acceptance both within and from others. So, hang on, no need to leave this forum, or think that you`ve asked for enough. We want you to stick around, get to know people, let us support you on your new path towards self-acceptance. It can be so rough, and we get that. You are not alone!

Please do post and tell us how you feel, every day if you need to. We`re here for you (*hug*)

16. germanion

germanion Guest

Thank you FemCasanova ...believe me when I say that without this forum I would have gone mad maybe... I really feel that the people here care for me ... this is a very nice feeling :slight_smile:

17. Aldrick

Germanion -

I think everyone is very proud of you, because you've taken so many big steps and have done so well. Even though things are still hard right now, there is no doubt they're going to get better. For the first time in your life you're free, and you're beginning to discover who you are and what you want to do with yourself. You can start looking in the mirror and seeing yourself authentically, not as someone pretending to be someone else.

Although you may not need it, speaking to a therapist might be good for you. Especially one trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I've been seeing one for over a year, and it's helped me tremendously in getting my life back on track - even though I wasn't suffering from severe depression at the time.

Also, I recommend you talking to your friend and apologizing. Even if things don't go well, at least you've attempted to make amends for past deeds. And if things do go well (and they likely will), then you have someone to lean on for support. That's a huge thing, and worth the risk.

Of course, you still have everyone here at EC to stand behind you. You're not alone. There are so many people here who have been in your shoes and have felt as you do right now. Draw inspiration from the fact that so many have come out on the other side and are living happy and fulfilling lives, and know that you can do the same too even if things feel difficult right now.

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

My advice regarding your friend...

Put your warm feelings aside for a minute. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

I would sincerely apologize from the heart, let him know it is a real apology. Let him also know it was your own internalized homophobia at being gay yourself that caused the outburst and he did not deserve it.

That is where I would start.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

19. germanion

germanion Guest

I sent him a friend request and msg ... I wrote that I am sorry and explained why I did this and told him that I now know how you felt .. I didn't tell him that I am gay but I gave some hints ... I hope he will reply but if not it's ok ... what I did was really horrible and I deserve this .

I hope the depression will leave soon ..

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 12:10 PM ----------

Aldrick : I have question for you , how did you manage this ? I mean how did you manage to not being depressed ? What is really making me depressed is not being gay , I don't hate myself that I am gay , being gay is not destroying myself image , I am ok with it but what makes me depressed is not being able to make a family anymore ... this is the reason why I am depressed now ... this is a very hard fact

#79 germanion, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hang with us until you have real world help.

The depression will pass.

It will always be there but it won't hurt. I lost a love after 15 years and I can still think about it 25 years later and I can feel the good of it with a tinge of regret at the loss, but no pain.

You are a smart, level headed guy so just give it time. Talking about it with supportive people will help the process. Process it, don't bury it.