1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to wife of 23 yrs.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by headshaver, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BeingEarnest

My wife also said on many occasions that it was like I died, but was still there. I am not one to yell, but one day I loudly said I'm still here. I'm still alive.

It was heart breaking to be so close, and utterly unable to reach out and touch eachother.
    I recently watched the movie 'the sixth sense', which I had seen before, but in light of this experience, had me in tears. It is a wierd feeling to go about life but not be recognized in the same way. And even more perplexing, when for the first time in your life, you are actually coming alive to a part of life everyone else takes for granted.

We lived together 9 months after my coming out. Though in separate bedrooms. It was never the same, and did not get easier. But it did help us transition, and some parts of life on my own are simpler now.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is just my intuition, but I don't think you should tell her about having or making plans to move out right now. What she needs is stability right now. She needs to feel that nothing is going to change out of her control, at least until she figures out what SHE wants to do, and that will take her time, which you should give her. Meanwhile, you should continue to do things as you usually do, until she is ready to tell you what she wants to do, or wants you to do. She needs to see you being the person she has always depended on to "do the right thing" by her. Once she has calmed down and accepted what you have told her about your sexuality, there are many different outcomes which are possible, depending on what each of you want, and whether you both act reasonably and in the children's best interests. Keep an open mind, and listen to what her fears and concerns are, and try to keep emotions to a minimum, although that is going to be difficult. Make sure you have a box of Kleenex nearby when you talk; BTDT.

3. MOGUY

headshaver, I think Late Robert and others gave solid advice. You really want to not "throw up all over your wife's shoes". Take baby steps. She's going to need time to digest some things. My wife turned out to be very supportive and I really didn't know how it would go. That was 3 years ago. We're still in a loving, committed marriage. It helps me to know she truly knows me now. I'm no saint but I made a decision to make my being gay my cross to bear- not just her's.

4. hanshotfirst

This is my first post and you're almost exactly in the same situation as me. I've been married and hiding my real feelings about my sexuality since before I could remember and have two children(one in college and one in high school). Your story is so touching and I'm having so many of the same feelings/worries/questions. Please keep posting and keep me updated on how things are going-best of luck!

5. bi2me

:welcome: hanshotfirst!

I hope you find comfort in camaraderie here. There are many married folks who are questioning or coming to terms with their sexual or other 'new' identity. You aren't alone!

6. hanshotfirst

Thanks Bi2me, I appreciate it. I've read a few different threads already and many are so touching and have even brought me to tears

7. CyclingFan

It got a little dusty in here suddenly.

8. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well -- small wins are .. small wins.. and the last 24 hours has mostly been big loss :frowning2:
    I knew this was not going to be easy and I had several gay friends tell me the same -but I had no idea how gut wrenching coming out can be when you are actually in a healthy marriage like mine. I honestly have never seen my wife so upset - she is literally hurting and when she hurts I hurt double.
    Yesterday I come home from an errand and find her sitting on our patio - very quiet and I sit down asking her if I can join her or if she needs space. She asked me to join her. I knew something was on her mind because she repeated everything I said -- she does that before she starts talking about difficult things with me. So I asked what was on her mind and 2 hours later we ended a very long, but healthy, conversation.
    Her first question was "do you want to move out?". My response was that right now, I am not prepared mentally to move out and that she isn't prepared for me to move out - I stated that it's just too much to process right now but that eventually that will be the end result of me coming out - I will more than likely move out. We talked more, I told her that it had to me a mutual decision and that I wanted her to help me find a place and that she had to be comfortable with my place and location so that she wouldn't worry when the girls come to visit me. More talk about various things - and she gets quiet again - I asked what else?
    She looks glassy eyed out to the pool, almost space mind like - and says that she is hurting - more than she hurt when her dad passed and when her brother passed - that she is worried about being alone, she doesn't want to raise the girls alone, and that in the end, she is losing her life partner. I moved over sitting down in front of her - grabbed her hand and said, I'm not going to abandon you - I promise. What followed was the saddest thing ever - she looks at me and says, Dwayne (that's my name) I am just so very sad, tears start coming, I'm just so very very sad, I've never been so sad in my life - I'm losing my best friend and my life partner.
    Folks - it was at this point I reached the lowest point of my life - sitting there listening to her tell me this and knowing that I caused it all - being honest, having integrity, stepping up - has created nothing. We sat and all I could do was hug her and tell her I was sorry and that I would not abandon her and the girls. My wife doesn't have a lot of "girl" friends - meaning that me and a few other folks are her close friends - she holds friendships very close to her heart and she reminded me of that.
    I cried with her and answered her questions she had about if there was anything she didn't give me or that she did that made his happen --- I said now and asked her to please put all this on me - let me carry the cross.
    I'm sure that there was more we discussed but I reached the lowest point in my life yesterday. Not much sleep last night as I laid in bed processing all of this and feeling like a POS.
    This morning - she comes into my study, I'm praying... she sits down in front of me and ask if she can pray with me - My God I am married to a saint - she starts praying with me, holding my hands, praying that I will be comforted, that I will have strength, that both of us trust that good will come of this situation. I'm sobbing...
    She runs to the market - comes back and says "I thought about this while at the market and one word comes to my mind - What I ask? The word is FIGHT". She goes on to say, why am I letting you fight this battle alone? That isn't fair -I am going to fight with you...
    My response - as my eyes began to water up = I love you for that.. I'm just not sure what and how to fight this anymore.....".
    I know .. without a doubt - that good will come of me coming out.. I trust with my heart that good will come... and I know that I am honest, I have integrity, I am a good person and that my wife and family love me dearly... I'm blessed... and so very confused right now. Tomorrow is another day - off to the airport for business travel.

9. hanshotfirst

Dwayne-It's really so nice to hear how supportive your wife is trying to be. Gives me such hope about trying to do the same. We have a cruise to go on at the end of May so really hating to have to put off this talk about coming out to my wife that much longer but do not want to ruin trip for both of us, my daughter and her friend along with others going too. Whole situation is just eating me up inside each day.
    Hope everything continues to go in the right direction for you!

10. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dwayne - once your wife gets through some of the initial shock, she may well realize that she hasn't lost her best friend at all. You're doing a great job of juggling your own feelings and hers, and you are truly behaving like you ARE her best friend. Kudos to you.

Spouse's reactions can be all over the board. Part of their reaction depends on who they are. My wife's emotions have had more ups and downs that an EKG since I told her a year and a half ago, and I've become very brutally aware that I'm a far better friend to her than she's ever been to me. But the eventual distance between us will temper my frustration with her, which has grown steadily over the 22 years we were married, and I'm sure I'll eventually be able to deal with her endless phone calls and neediness with some genuine affection (along with a mild eyeroll, however!). My partner's wife reacted in a much more brutal fashion and I'm guessing he'll tolerate her (barely) until the kids are adults and then erase her completely from his memory.

Part of the reaction depends on our behavior towards them too, though. We can be wrapped up in our own feelings and be focused on only ourselves, or we can consider theirs and work with them. You're going through some rough changes, Dwayne, and that's going to be painful for both of you. But what you've described so far is pretty close to the gold standard for coming out of a healthy relationship. You're doing great so far. Keep up the good work.

11. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Choirboy for the pat on the back. I'm trying... I keep telling her - don't worry about me - I'll be fine - because I am so worried about her. The more I can make her feel and know that I'm not going to just bail on her and the girls the better. I'm just not sure what she means by "fight" that she is going to fight with me. I know, I need to dig into this with her - but God I hope she doesn't think in her mind that Fight means - going to therapy to be cured of being gay, or praying away the gay, or even that I will live at home and we play marriage -- these are not the solutions to fix this -- and it (being gay) can't be "fixed" or I would have already figured out how to fix this.

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, there's no getting rid of it, and it's definitely not something that needs fixing. I was (and still am) very worried about my STBX. She's never had the best judgement in many ways, and a big part of what drew us together in the first place was that she brought out the "rescuer" in me, and I mistook that obsession for finally finding "the right girl" who would make that pesky gay thing wither away. So I totally understand your concern about her.

It's taken a long time and we're not there yet, but I think she finally recognizes that I'm not going to disappear from her life or our teenage daughters' lives. She still has a lot of resentment that flares up depending on who she's talking to at the time, but at least the venomous shouting matches between us seem to have abated. The fact that I met an incredibly special guy (without even looking) 6 months after coming out to her didn't help, although in some ways it brought to a head everything that had been simmering for, really, many years. Now at least she believes all this is real. I suspect in the end we may be better as friends, than as spouses with expectations of one another that can never really be met.

Be kind to her, as you're already doing, and don't rush any changes in either of your lives. There's no timetable, and your life and relationships will be as positive as you allow them to be. This is a new beginning but it doesn't have to be a complete gut-wrenching break from the past either. I've had plenty of fear and anxiety over the past 2 years, but also great happiness and satisfaction, and I'm getting more and more certain that this was the right thing to do. Best of luck to you, and I hope 2 years from now you feel the same.

13. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Headshaver, the story of your coming out to your wife is very reminiscent of my own, which occurred almost a year ago. My wife and I are still together, though making plans toward separation. We're not in a hurry. We are still each other's best friend and greatest supporter. We even advise each other on potential dates. And we laugh and joke about our situation a lot.

One thing that strikes me about your situation is your wife's overwhelming feelings of sadness. My wife experienced the same, and her doctor put her on a mood-stabilizing medication, which she expects to take for about two years. This medication has made all the difference for her — she still becomes emotional, but it kind of knocks the edges off. Initially I was not happy with her being on a medication (we neither of us medicate casually). From time to time I ask whether she thinks being on the medication is still necessary, and so far, she has always answered in the affirmative, calling it a "lifesaver."

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Keep in mind that grief is natural and part of the healing process.

15. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Moving to denial? I think so ---
    So good weekend here - lots of family time as we were at my daughters competitive volleyball tournament all weekend. Was a little uncomfortable when we arrived and all the team parents were there (mom and dads) who we have known for years.. Not that we have told anyone, but I was freaking out uncomfortable that when we walked in they would pick up on something.. just me freaking out... I finally pulled her to the side and we took a walk to discuss and to acknowledge that we just can't stop caring and showing affection to one another in public and around the kids like hugs, pats on the legs, etc.

I've realized that with every good moment there is soon to be a bad -
    So we're sitting outside on the patio after a long weekend indoors at the competition - we start talking and I tell her how much more at peace I am today vs last week when I came out. And I thanked her for being such a good person in her soul - knowing that we have several more challenges to deal with on the journey but today and the weekend was good. I said I love you for your soul and for your loving heart.
    As I mentioned the "peace" feeling I then mentioned that I was prepared to speak with the girls - whenever that happens - I am at peace. She then says "I don't want you to say anything until "daughter 2" graduates from high school. WTF???? That is 3 F*cking years. I told her I couldn't process that request right now - I was shocked that she would ask me to lie to them for three years then have the "oh, by the way, I lied to you for three years - I'm gay" conversation. IS SHE F*CKING CRAZY? I said "so what lie do you want to come up with when I move out - whenever that happens"? No answer...
    This really pissed me off ..... I don't even know where to go from here.....
    There is no way I can not tell my kids for three more years... I'm just so upset right now....

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Relax.

Take it slow.

You have been digesting this for years while your wife just had her first taste.

This too shall pass.

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my older daughter the day after I told my wife, and was told I had overstepped by coming out to her without "permission". She asked me (well, demanded, really) that I wait some unspecified amount of time before telling our other daughter, but then a few months later, after a conversation with a therapist neighbor, she suddenly demanded I tell her immediately. And when I did, I got in trouble for telling her on my own, without (apparently) supervision or whatever. Some times you just can't win.

Part of that was my STBX's general control-freak personality, but a fair chunk of it is also that this is completely new territory for both of you, and no one, not her and realistically, not you or I, knows how to handle the revelations and secrets and honesty. It's unfortunate and unfair, but we really have to be the grownups in this, and just keep rolling with the hystrionics and shape-shifting. And realistically, you're going through a huge shift in perception yourself, so things are going to hit you in many different ways than they used to as well. One of the stranger by-products of coming out is that I find my emotional responses to things are not at all the same as they used to be. I get much more emotional over some things, and much less about others, than I used to be. It's less that I've changed dramatically; more like the emotions aren't being processed through the same set of filters and controls that once were.

It takes awhile to process the change in the relationship, too. Your comments about the volleyball match rang very true. We haven't been overtly affectionate in years--our relationship has been rough for a long time--but I had always gone out of my way to present us as a united front. After I came out to her, that didn't seem important anymore, and it's taken some time to reinvent the image we present (and it's still doing on, as our marriage winds down and more people find out about where things are headed). Some of it was very unconscious, and some of it was more direct, like starting to refer to her as "the girls' mother" instead of "my wife". The truth is, though, that most people are astonishingly thick-headed and very few of them have picked up on any of it. In some ways it becomes more of a challenge when they actually DO know, because some people have more trouble adapting to change than others. (My daughter's Confirmation was yesterday, and I was a mess wondering how the get-together after would go. My brother and his wife were far, far less distant than I expected, which was wonderful, and her brother didn't say a word--which was wonderful in a way too!)

Hang in there, bud. It's going to be a rollercoaster for some time, but it does get better. After a year and a half, I still get frustrated and confused and upset, and things are still working themselves out, but I also feel less like a victim of circumstances and other peoples' emotions, and more in charge of myself. It takes work, though, and you learn to accept incremental progress with some setbacks. It's rough some days, but in the end it's worth it.

#57 Choirboy, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  18. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My wife is scared - no doubt! After last nights conversation about me not telling the kids for 3 years, she went silent - avoiding me last night going upstairs to watch TV with daughter leaving me alone to my own entertainment. Today - no interaction (remember, I home office) and she decided to paint the oldest daughters bedroom. An all day project. I just left her alone - and finally this afternoon she comes into my office "I really need a hug". So I hug her and tell her that she needs to not wait all day to come tell me that and talk to me. After a long hour conversation, the facts are a) she doesn't know who she is and who she needs to become b)she doesn't understand how she will financially support herself c)she doesn't want to reinvent herself, date, live alone d)there isn't anything she can do to save her marriage.
    I tried my best to reinforce to her that she is a strong person, she is talented, she is educated, she is capable and she should stop selling herself short. I told her that she needs to not worry about supporting herself at this point - the house is part of our normal budget, the taxes are paid in full for a year out and I'm not asking her to move out - if anything, I said, I will move out to an apartment and she can stay in the house as long as she wants - if she wants to sell it - then we sell it. I told her again that I am still part of the family, I'm not moving to Alaska or walking out on her deserting her and the girls....
    She's in a panic right now - she's a planner and she can't figure out the plan. I asked her to stop trying to figure out the plan alone and work with me and we will figure this out together....
    All that said, I once again end the day feeling like a HUGE PIECE OF S*IT. Life was perfect - I exploded it to pieces...
    But - I' am trying to be strong - be the strong one and not emotional.. Hey - I haven't cried since last Wednesday --things are looking up - maybe ...

19. MOGUY

headshaver, you say "life was perfect". Perhaps it was: for her- but not for you. I congratulate you for coming out to your wife. It had to be done for you to have any opportunity to live a fuller life. I know everything is upside down now and it appears that life was so simple as long as you kept your secret to yourself. As others have said, it will gradually get better. My prayers are with you and your family, buddy.

20. bi2me

You are also being honest and yourself for the first time (in forever... Cue the Frozen music). You can't discount helping yourself be yourself. There is a lot of value in that!