1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date Bi and Trans people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SeaSalt, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be a bit...phobic to do so, and hypocritical. I would have no problem with dating someone who was trans or bi, because they did not choose to be that way, and it's more about the person than gender identity or expression, isn't it?

There's such a thing as preference, but trans people are just as much as their gender as anyone else. Those who are bi, well, as queer as I am, I'm in the same boat.

I think it's a bit rude for us to be expecting equality and fair treatment, and than not doll it out ourselves?

However! That's not saying that I expect a lesbian to date a bi guy. That's insane.

Anyways, I've rambled enough.

2. DangerAlex

Bi, yes. My boyfriend is bi as he was married when we met and is still married now, though hopefully not for much longer.

Trans, no. I have no issue at all with trans people and really admire their courage, but I can't imagine myself being attracted to someone trans. Although I'm bi and kind of intrigued by the androgenic, I'm also kind of old-fashioned in that I want my guys to be 100% men and my girls to be 100% women. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but highly unlikely. Nothing against anyone who is trans and no offense meant at all. It's just a personal preference.

3. 741852963

Would I date a bisexual person. Definitely. I'll admit I might be a little more insecure or paranoid at first in a bi relationship than one with a gay guy due to the differences in potential dating pool (bisexual men having a larger available dating pool) but that wouldn't be an issue if I trusted the person.

Would I date a man who has transitioned, thats a bit of a difficult one for me. I know I might get shot down for this but perhaps not. I think its partially down to how my brain processes things. My brain does see transmen as men, but sort of slightly differently categorized men if that makes any sense. I'd describe it as an additional layer of information to a person, the knowledge that they've transitioned from another biological gender. As such I think I might inadvertently upset a transperson I was dating if I occasionally struggled to see them as 100% (physically and mentally) male, and that would be a horrible thing to put someone through. I don't know though, maybe thats just going of generalisations of what transpeople might expect or need in a relationship; if a transperson accepted my own mental imperfections on this issue it could be fine.

The physical side might also be an issue for me. I'm guessing this is probably an area where lesbians would be more comfortable dating a woman who is trans, as mtf surgery is more advanced and can realistically visually match female genitalia. From my understanding and what I've seen FTM bottom surgery is less advanced and riskier (more scarring?) which is why I'm guessing some transmen opt not to have it? For me a trans man still having a vagina would be an issue due to my above schemas, I think it would make it a little bit harder to see him as fully man, not a deal-breaker but a slight mental barrier or distraction if you will. I think these reminders of them previously being a woman (a vagina, scarring, them having to take T, check-ups, any female body odor*) might be a hurdle.

In summary, if I met a guy who told me he was trans I wouldn't necessarily say no to a relationship. I think we'd have to talk through some things though to avoid misunderstandings, as naturally I wouldn't want to upset anyone, let alone someone I was starting a relationship with.

*I'm not sure how pheromones work for FTM so forgive me on this if T changes the pheromones or covers up female pheromones. I'm not sure on that point so if anyone wants to educate me feel free! :slight_smile: I do like the male odor though so that would be necessary for me I think.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dating a trans guy would take some getting used to, and yes, I would prefer to be in a relationship with a cis guy purely for physical reasons. I could make it work, but since I've never met a trans person before, it'd be unfamiliar territory for me. Plus, if they're pre-op, I'd miss penis.

Dating a bi guy wouldn't be an issue at all.

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sex is not what I look for in a relationship, so hell to the fuck yeah.

Testosterone changes your body odor, yes.

6. Thedistra

Of course I would. Just as with any lesbian woman all it would require is attraction which has nothing to do with them being trans or bisexual.

Besides bisexuals seem to be more commonly attracted to me, so yay bisexuals.

7. Yes. I've never understood why this is a question, honestly.

8. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

absolutely, oprah

9. Vaettfang

10. Hexagon

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You betcha!

12. Dakeli27

Absolutely.

13. Sitri

Of course not. I'm incredibly insecure and I'm ignorant about bisexuality. Social prejudice has engrained these ideas of bi=slut that I can no longer separate fact from fiction, nor do I have any desire to ruin my delusional and self righteous fantasy.

I don't have any satire for trans folk. Sorry. But I would date a trans guy.

14. Acm

Acm Guest

Yes to both

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Late reply:

Trans men are 100% men and trans women are 100% women.

Perhaps it was poor wording, but I had to throw that out there.

16. AAASAS

Would date a bi, not a trans.

Though I'd rather stick with a gay guy because we are just more similar than a bisexual and I'd feel like the bisexual person may crave vagina...etc sometimes which I cannot provide.

As for trans, I'm gay, I like dudes, I like penis, nothing else.

17. Lipstick Leuger

My ex was Trans, and I have dated Bi gals. So yes, i would.

18. DangerAlex

Yes, it was poor wording on my part. I didn't and don't mean to deny anyone their gender identity, and my intent was not to imply that being trans makes someone less of a man or woman than those who are born the gender to which they identify. To clarify, I need to break down my views and preferences in a little more detail.

If I'm to be with a man, I would want him to not only identify as a man, but to also have the anatomy of a man. And I would say the same thing about females. I believe this is what I meant by 100%; by that I essentially meant "inside AND out".

One could say that would all but rule out pre-op, but post-op could still be a viable option. Someone else mentioned this, but in my experience the surgeries just aren't quite the same. They've come a long way and I'll echo that surgically constructed female anatomy can be quite passable, so I guess that could be a possibility, but it would then depend on the overall presentation. So given these considerations, I don't feel I would be very likely to have a relationship with someone Trans. I won't say it's totally impossible because you never know, but as a matter of preference I would generally say it would be very unlikely.

19. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand completely. On these matters, there's a few sides, and really, the only view I have a problem with is the "if you don't date trans people, you're an asshole" and the views that completely demean the trans community.

Seriously, if you will only date people with dicks or vaginas because that's what you're attracted to, that is completely 100% okay. But if you're refusing to date a trans person because you see them as another gender? There's something shaky going on.

I know it's hard to get over the vagina = woman and penis = man thing, but even if you're attracted to, say, a trans woman, and you're a gay man, or if you're attracted to a trans man, and you're a gay woman, you can really just not date that person. You can't help who you're attracted to (and not attracted to), but you can control who you date.

20. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes and I wouldn't have any problems if someone doesn't have the equipment that matches their gender.