1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does dysphoria feel like for you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Oct 22, 2014.

1. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Oh yes - 5'3", small-chested 18-year-old trans* guy here as well. I am forever doomed to look like I'm 11. Luckily, I've got rather beetling eyebrows and a squared jaw :grin:

So many ma'ams. Ughhhh. And to make matters worse, I've got longish hair :bang:

2. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My voice, my chest, curves (hips, waist, thighs etc), and sometimes genitals. Also when people don't use the right pronouns, especially when they know about it. Just being referred to as female in general. Its a stabbing feeling of self-hatred mixed with shame and disappointment.

3. Raatox

Physically it's mostly my hips and chest that simply feels wrong And I miss a beard, and male genitals and muscels, sooo much!. And socially, when someone gender me as female (wich happens all the time since I'm not actually trying to make them gender me as a guy) I just want to correct them, and realizes they can't know I'm a guy.

4. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I know, right? I just whisper under my breath: "he, dammit, I'm a HE"

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 06:38 AM ----------

Pretty much, yes.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rarely do I feel physical dysphoria but when I look at my hair (I don't have much left due to male pattern baldness starting... thanks XY) it's like jeez... I'll never be able to have natural long hair.

Also I've seen pictures of people not in transition who look so much more feminine than even bio females sometime (a cross player for instance I saw). I had a physical reaction, as if someone punched me in the gut, probably due to jealousy and such. That feeling was awful, especially since the model didn't identify as trans or wasn't even female. But with my latest makeup techniques I look at myself and am like... wow... i kind of look like that. I was at a club and people danced with me. Only when the music quieted down and I was able to speak loudly enough to be heard did I hear "oh wow youre not actually female?". That not being pretty enough feeling is going away too. I like what I see in the mirror.

But from a societal perspective I can't dress and present myself how I want. I still can't really be emotionally eloquent without being perceived as a weak male. It feels like I put on a uniform dressing in male professional clothing. It just feels wrong not having my outsides match my insides and desire for visual style.

That part still exists each day.

6. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Hey, the club thing is pretty cool. I haven't been able to pass.... ever. Except this one time when my cousin thought I was a guy, from the back ('twas wonderful).

Yup, the female clothing sucks, too. And I wouldn't mind having male pattern baldness sometime in the future!!!! :grin:

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 07:51 AM ----------

(Okay no I'm very vain about my hair. But I still haven't been able to cut it.... )

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me you don't want male pattern baldness. Not attractive. Have the ability to have hair and shave if necessary.

But yea if you could be biologically male and male pattern baldness is part of the admissions price then it's a fair price to pay. But I've never met a biological male that says it's a plus.

8. anonym

anonym Guest

Social dysphoria varies. Now that I'm presenting more on the masculine side, I don't get as anxious when perceived as female by women. I think it's because I now dress in a way which makes me feel that there is a distinction between them and me. My social dysphoria really escalates when I'm around men though. It's hell. For some reason, I don't feel 'safe' in my female body when I'm around men. I hate how they let me past first or try to help me carry stuff and open doors. But most of all, I despise them leering at me or checking me out. Perhaps then it's not surprising that my body dysphoria gets significantly worse when I'm around men (straight men that is. Gay men are cool :grin:)

9. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Dude, yeah! I always feel wimpy and not-manly around cis guys, save for a few close friends (incidentally, I'm straighter than them both). Also, have you ever had a guy mistake you for a girl and CHECK YOU OUT while you were dressed in a three-piece suit and had a bound chest? Not fun :dry:

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 08:04 AM ----------

Yeah no I was kidding, I don't want to go bald.

I WOULD, however, be happy for other things: deeper voice, broader shoulders, fat redistribution - hell, maybe even a bit of facial hair! I always did look better with a slight mustache.... :eusa_danc

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

It feels like a horrible, crushing feeling. It could drive me insane.

Both my physical and social dysphoria is strong.
    I hate my chest and my genitals with a raging fashion, and just want to take them off. It makes me feel sick when I am reminded that they are there, and I feel caged in my own body.

Social dysphoria is just as bad. I'm constantly misgendered.
    I can't correct them either, I live in a small town where everyone knows me already. So they all refer to me as a girl, since they all know me as one.

I would love to move out of here and get a fresh start. But, not yet.
    Because my mother will gender me as female in front of others, and I'd not get to introduce myself as a male..

11. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yeah, I'm too cowardly to correct most people. I did it once, and I felt so proud of myself…. :eusa_danc

Bottom dysphoria isn't as strong for me - I get more upset about the chest/waist/height/voice/shoulders/hips. I definitely get the cage feeling. D'you develop nausea as well? 'Cuz sometimes I just feel like puking when I/my clothes touch my chest :icon_redf

There's also this weird distanced feeling I get when people talk about "[my birth name], the girl". It's like: "dude, that's not me. I mean, I get you're TALKING about me, but it doesn't FEEL like you're talking about me. I'm [insert chosen male name]."

12. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting topic, thank you for this.

I am dysphoric when it comes to my chest, of course. I´ve always hated my breasts without even knowing the reason why (I was almost hysterical about it when I was a teenager, hiding it under endless layers of clothing, with my back hunched down etc.). I´ve never felt the connection between myself and my genitalia, too. Dunno if I should call it dysphoria or not, I just feel nothing "down there" (nothing with a little hint of disgust). I take it as something that is way beyond me. It looks weird and I have to take care of it, but I don´t use it. God, I don´t even know how to use it!

But I must admit I am quite happy with the rest of my body. I am not tall and I´ve lost a lot of weight recently, in order to get rid of my feminine hips and belly (mission completed, yay!). I don´t want to be a big hairy man. I believe I was meant to be slim, feminine gay. If I were born with the proper male body, I´d shave my legs anyway.

What troubles me more is the social role of gender. I feel awkward when I am called "her" or "she", for I don´t know how to act properly as "she". What does the world expect from me? I don´t know. I am in my 30s and I don´t know how to "be a girl".

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 06:48 PM ----------

Yeah, exactly. Before I knew what I am, I´ve always felt like a bait, like something that is being observed, judged and even criticized with my female body. Now things changed. I can play this little game too. I observe, judge, and I STARE at man´s asses as long as I wish(&&&) :lol: Trust me, they know! And they are all confused :lol:

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny, in big cities like NYC I felt the feminine vulnerability that I would not normally have when presenting male.

14. Unkempt Harold

You've always looked AMAZING Kasey! You're an inspiration to me even now (*hug*)

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do what I can do with what I have to work with. I am not on hormones... so I'm sort of blessed with some natural femininity as well as my skill with makeup has vastly improved.

Either way I used to be jealous of some members, but I feel that the student has become the master and I hope someday I can get on hormones.

Regardless though, look at my old pictures... i looked horrendous in some of them. Which I may add I left up for posterity sake and to show people my transition steps.

16. KayJay

Once you start doing it often it gets a easier :slight_smile: it almost starts to feel normal in a weird way. Hopefully one day we won't have to correct anyone because there won't be any misgendering!

17. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yeah, I've felt dysphoria ever since I was 11 and I didn't know what it was. I'd just feel so disgusted, like I was going to throw up if I touched my chest. In eleventh grade, I started standing in such a way that I leaned back slightly, causing my chest to be less prominent. It was completely subconscious - I'm still not sure whether that was a product of dysphoria or not. Luckily, I'm almost flat-chested, and I've always been very happy about that :eusa_danc

I totally get the "nothing down there" sensation - I feel it too, sometimes. Didn't know what it was till I heard the term "dysphoria". THEN it all made sense.

Dude, yeah, I don't want to be hairy either. Except maybe for a small mustache. Guess I was meant to be a slim, feminine straight guy? :grin:

Exactly! When I'm addressed as a girl, I just sorta keep very quiet, speak softly, and look at the floor. I don't know how to act "like a girl", so I taught myself using Disney movies. As a result, my girl persona is painfully polite and shy.

When I'm allowed to be a guy, though, I change quite drastically :lol:

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 01:49 PM ----------

Yesssss I wish people would just ASK "What pronouns d'you want me to use?" That happened to me once, and the person who asked probably thought I was a dolt because I just kept staring at them, openmouthed like a fish.

18. KayJay

The only times I've had someone ask me is at lgbt group things but anywhere else people just use pronouns based on how they perceive you.

People say sticks and stones may break bones but words can't hurt you. I think that's not true and words can hurt just as much.

19. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Yup, it was at a GSA meeting. Dang, I just want people to call me "sir"…. is that too much to ask? :icon_sad: