1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something all people with a uterus (esp ftm) should know exists!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Clairity95, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    THIS is why the post got created. Idk why but it clicked in my mind that everyone knows I have a period and it's not a big deal if I have tampon wrappers in the trash but that it's not like that for everyone.

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, are you supposed to change tampons more often than that? Because I usually leave mine in for 12 hours. Put one in when I get up in the morning and one when I go to bed, unless my flow is particularly heavy that day. (Later on in my period, I stop flowing at night so I just wear one during the day.)

3. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I never sleep with them because you're only supposed to have them in 6-8 hours. You could get TSS leaving them in too long.

4. suninthesky

I couldn't make one last 12 hours if I tried! Lol.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Ugh. TSS. Believe me, the idea freaks me the hell out. Death by tampon anyone? :lol:

I might look into this cup deal just for that reason.

6. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Yes, I get she has good intentions, but telling people that tampons have chemicals and having no evidence to back it up is what's bothering.

Because the issue of menstrual cups isn't just for FtM. Many woman (I mean cis-gendered) are being scared by these fake sources on FDA scandals and how greedy cooperation are, corrupt enough to cause you harm for profit. Every method of dealing with a period is gross. But disposable tampons and pads are your safest bet in sanitation.

This doesn't mean people don't get TSS, because you could also be replacing your tampon too often as opposed to not enough. Many things can cause irritation in such a sensitive part of ones body.

I hope to god no one here switches to menstrual cups because a blog made by some all-natural product activist tell you there are "harming chemicals" in your feminine products. Use the cups because it works for you, and you are in tune enough with yourself to "dig up into your body" for a cup of blood.

7. anonym

anonym Guest

Yeah this is great because I can't imagine how awkward I would feel presenting as male yet...buying tampons and pads.

It will be a challenge to 'dig around in my bits' and learn how to use but I think I might try it out. What's the worst that can happen really? It's probably going to hurt as did tampons when I was first learning how to use them, I might not like it and so I'd lose out on cash, it will most likely make me dysphoric.

The way I see it, for ftms the positives of these cups are:
    You won't have to rely on using women's loos for sanitary bins
    You won't have any rubbish that let's people know you have a period
    You can leave them in for longer than tampons so less encounters with the blood which can help you forget you have a period and have to change it less often so avoid excessive use of public bathrooms if you're out or at work.
    You won't have to go out and buy tampons or pads.

The negatives:
    As would be exactly the same for a cis woman it might hurt and take some getting used to.
    For ftms in particular, it may be dysphoric depending on how severe your body dysphoria is.

I would say my body dysphoria is really quite bad and it is worsening. But if I look at all those benefits above, I am prepared to at least give it a chance.

Of course it is totally up to the individual and how each person feels about 'digging around in their bits' but I can see why the OP shared this with us. Thanks :slight_smile:

8. anonym

anonym Guest

So I have been reading up on these mooncups again because I was seriously going to try it. But I'm confused because on their website it says you have to change them every 4-8 hours. You can't leave them in longer than tampons and also it says inserting them tears the hymen. I don't have a problem with that happening but I have no idea, is that going to be painful?

9. NotBrokenYet

As far as I know, tampons can tear the hymen as well, so if you use tampons I wouldn't imagine that there would be any more risk of that with a cup than with a tampon. I could be wrong, though. They warn you not to leave them in longer than 8 hours or so, but at least if you can't get to a washroom somewhere to change it out, there's no risk of TSS. Also, different companies recommend different times between changing them (for example, the Lunette cup website advises leaving it in for a maximum of 12 hours without changing it, and that leaving it in longer may make you more prone to yeast infections). Obviously some of that depends on your flow, too, since if you have a heavier flow, changing more often regardless of method of capture is to be expected.

10. anonym

anonym Guest

Ok thanks I'm pretty sure that tearing would happen with me though because, without being graphic, I know from using tampons that I am very much in tact ugh.

The mooncup website says that there is still a risk of TSS :confused: I'm guessing it's pretty much the same product but different guidelines. Perhaps it's still too new to know exactly how much of a risk and how often you should remove it???

11. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Um yes you can definitely leave them in longer than tampons. It didn't tear mine any more than tampons did. It's about how you fold it. If you've used a tampon that part shouldn't be a huge deal, but I have said many times it was painful for me the first 2-3 times.

This is a quote from the divacup (different brand, same thing) website:

"12 hour leak-free protection
    According to consumer research, 60 percent of women experience leakage every month when using tampons and pads! Rest assured, with The DivaCup your days of racing to the washroom to survey the leak damage after a sudden “surge” are over. The DivaCup can be worn up to a maximum of ten (10) – twelve (12) consecutive hours and should be emptied, washed and rinsed a minimum of two (2) – three (3) times daily. The DivaCup is made of soft silicone that actually softens with body heat. Because of this, the cup forms to your body. Our Tips for Success feature has lots of information to help ensure you are getting the most out of your DivaCup."

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2014 at 08:54 PM ----------

Idk what part of the website you're reading but medical grade silicon can not cause TSS. The only way it can hurt you is if you use it improperly and I don't find it hard to keep it clean. I think I found the page you read and I think they're partially covering their asses legally. I kept mine in for 12 hours at a time and I was fine. I can tell you how the next period goes as well if you wish!

Your First Questions | DivaCup.com

12. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks :slight_smile: I didn't know there were several brands. I had only looked on the actual mooncup website. I'm still a bit worried it won't work for me because I can't believe I can fit it in but if it does work, it will be a great improvement for me and my dysphoria. I know it will be dysphoric to insert and remove it etc but for the 12 hours in between I think it would be great.

13. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No problem. That first thing I linked in the very first post has links to all the different kinds. Lunette, Diva Cup, Mooncup, soft cups (those are different and I think they're messy and gross), meLuna. And I said at some point to look at meLuna which has the smallest and softest ones. You'd be surprised what can fit in there! I know these are daunting but they mold to your body, mine doesn't open up all the way, and if you use the push down fold it makes the part you actually insert pretty small. Idk anything about dysphoria but I can't see how this would be any worse than tampons even if it doesn't end up to be a whole lot better.

14. Hopefilled

15. Axxel

Axxel Guest

These things are pretty interesting but I just prefer towels (pads) because it doesn't mean having to fiddle around with my bits at all. It's basically like a bandage for a wound to me.

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Okay... I bought one. And I'm using it.

So figured if anyone needed some perspective, here you go. (possible TW for dysphoria)

Anyway. Ordered one online, since I'd had enough with the usual methods. Figured using a cup versus a glorified tissue on a string couldn't make the experience worse. And since I'm almost full time as male, I didn't want to have tampons or whatever floating around in my possession- figured I wanted to minimize any risk of possibly outing myself. And buying them? Not fun.

So gonna give you the basics.

Inserting: Wasn't fun but once I figured out how, it wasn't any worse than using a tampon. No waste from applicators or wrappers, so not gonna have to figure out how to dispose of that in a men's room.

Leakage: None. Caught everything even after first try.

Pain: Gonna have to use it for a while longer to see if there's significant difference. Cramps are always bad on first couple days but I can deal if I have aspirin.

So, would recommend if you're willing to give it a shot.

17. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm too scared of my vagina to consider putting anything up it.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. So I dunno if I'd recommend it to someone with really bad bottom dysphoria. But I dunno. For me, I think cleaning the mess is worse than finding a way to deal with it. Because to be honest, I don't get super dysphoric over shark week. It's like "oh, this is just another issue I have to deal with." I have like, this initial bout of anxiety once it first happens and then it's like "go away, i'm done with you" I get more dysphoric over the fact that I don't have a penis as opposed to what my parts do.

I dunno. But the sight of all that blood is worse, to me, than sticking something up and not having to see it

19. anonym

anonym Guest

:roflmao:'Shark week'

20. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I fucking love it. Seriously, when I first heard guys talking about it, I was like "Wow. Trans guys REALLY like Discovery Channel."