1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something all people with a uterus (esp ftm) should know exists!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Clairity95, Feb 27, 2014.

1. NotBrokenYet

The interesting thing about the FDA is that they do actually let a LOT of nasty stuff through the system. I'm not talking specifically tampons or pads, but in general. Regulations for ingredients in every-day products in the USA and Canada (we have Health Canada which is a different system but ours, well better in some areas, still isn't great) are FAR looser and less rigid than they are in places like Europe and Australia. It would be nice to think that the FDA and systems like it would put tighter regulations on household cleaners and cosmetics and the like, but fact is, they let a LOT of crap that isn't good for you at ALL through the system. Is there an issue with unpleasant chemicals in pads and tampons? I don't know. But it honestly would not surprise me at all. Just because the FDA let it through does NOT mean its safe, sadly.

2. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dear goodness. This post was to inform people about a product. I wasn't trying to be a scientific authority on things. I don't like tampons. I don't like pads. I like my mooncup. I felt like trans people might benefit from it so I thought I'd give them the knowledge of its existence.

Also, the FDA isn't that great.

3. Sarcastic Luck

With how often tampons are used, if there was an issue and people were getting sick from it, then there would be a requirement to look into. With tampons, people claim asbestos. Asbestos is highly illegal. Companies aren't going to be stupid and put in a substance that can cost them 75K to 200K per person. On top of that, asbestos is highly cancer causing (mesothelioma) and would cause a massive spike in vagina/cervix cancers.

Rayon. Sounds scary! It's synthetic wood pulp, made from....Wood. Commonly used to make clothes, fabric and surgical dressings.

Dioxin. A by product of using elemental chlorine bleaching that was used for the rayon fibers. Valid concern, except elemental chlorine bleaching isn't used anymore. I expect because the workers would be exposed to it far more than your sensitive bits. While your bits get exposed, being generous, 60 days a year, they get it well over 250 days a year. Bigger concern for them and health hazard.

So if you're scared of tampons, might not want to get surgery anytime soon.

Finally, while I understand you meant well, suggesting a product that requires a guy to did around in the bits that causes him dysphoria? Probably not the best thing, as proven by many of the comments.

#43 Sarcastic Luck, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  4. suninthesky

I'd rather dig around in my bits for a sec and be able to use the guys restroom than be forced to either walk 2 miles for a gender neutral one or go in the women's.

I'd get one if I could afford it.

5. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    THIS is why I mentioned it. I knew not everyone would like the idea. There are a lot of varying opinions among cis women. I felt that you all should know the option is there. Oh well if you don't like it. I figured that if I felt like I wasn't on my period because of it at least SOME trans men might like it.

The bathroom thing actually stuck out the most because it occurred to me that my dad never again has to know I'm on my period because of wrappers in the trashcan!

Also, I wish you luck in eventually obtaining one! They save money in the long run:slight_smile:

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically, menstrual fluid is the beginning of the placenta. The baby isn't floating in it, but it is the stuff that's used to feed the baby.

7. Sarcastic Luck

No. Menstrual blood/fluid isn't involved with a baby at all. Menstruation occurs in the absence of pregnancy and is the flushing of the egg/uterine lining that formed in preparation for a fertilized egg. If the egg is fertilized, it implants into the uterine lining which then forms into the placenta. Now, there's blood after the mother gives birth and passes the placenta, but it's not considered a period.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Menstrual blood is what would have been placenta, if the egg had been fertilized. By the time it comes out, though, it's dead.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

All the arguments here make me so glad that I don't have periods anymore.....

10. justjade

:icon_eek:

You know, as much as diaper rash sucks, I think I'll just stick with pads. Why do periods have to be so uncomfortable?

11. suninthesky

Other people not knowing we're on our period is always a plus. But I think everyone already figures it out because I get really emotional.. D: Haha.

Are they easy enough to use? I'm just worried if I get one and can't figure out how to use it I'll be out $30.

12. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Other people not knowing we're on our period is always a plus. But I think everyone already figures it out because I get really emotional.. D: Haha.

Are they easy enough to use? I'm just worried if I get one and can't figure out how to use it I'll be out $30.[/QUOTE]

My experience:
    1.) first two-three tries=pain, annoyance, questioned why I bought this
    2.) looked up different ways to fold it and what angles to use
    3.) Figured out a fold I like and what angle works
    4.) Euphoria because I got it in and couldn't feel it.
    5.) Frustration because it was awkward to take out
    6.) Figured out less awkward way to take it out
    7.) Double the euphoria because after all that I've been changing it twice a day with zero mess and only remember I'm on my period because I've talked about it nonstop lol. I even get a little excited when I go to change it because no wrapping a big soggy pad or tampon in toilet paper!

Verdict: small amount of trauma from the learning curve but if it sounds like something you'd like it's worth going through. You could easily pretend you're not on your period except for twice a day when you clean it out and the cramps don't completely go away but there have been less and you could convince yourself it's gas or something. (just suggestions)

If you don't like the idea, ignore this post.

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, this got heated fast...

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 02:13 AM ----------

Do people really claim asbestos in tampons? Are they idiots? I knew people went to great lengths for scare tactics, but damn, asbestos???

Also, for clarity - I was going to school to be a chemist. The way people throw the word "chemicals" around as a general catch-all for "scary shit you shouldn't be toying with" amuses me. The reason I did bring up chemicals as a possible cause of my infection problem was because the tampons i was using one month were recalled shortly after I used them and got, yep, an infection. That month they might have played a part in it. The other times, it was likely just human error.

#53 clockworkfox, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  14. Sarcastic Luck

Yep. They claim asbestos is put in to encourage bleeding. It initially started as a chain e-mail back in 2001 or thereabouts and the rumor hasn't gone away since.

I hear you when it comes to the word "chemicals", as well.

15. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know, I was just trying to share knowledge not piss people off. I don't care if you disagree with me but some people might like the idea and that's what matters.

I have very very very sensitive skin. Can't have scented or dyed laundry detergent, soap, etc. The lack of natural lubrication can cause issues.
    Not everyone gets irritated but I know I do and I know I'm not the only one that does.
    I definitely prefer something that doesn't dry me out or irritate me and that cannot give me anything like TSS. I've gotten irritated by panty liners. Periods used to be the worst thing in the world.

16. Nick07

A lot things to learn.. lol

Honestly guys, here you have a cisperson, who discovered something that worked for her and what did she do?
    She spent a lot of time trying to make YOUR life easier. Her first thought was about YOU.

Maybe you could spare her all the yuck, grossss and ewww. IMHO. This is not the first time I have noticed that the gap between trans and cis people was made wider by the trans people. It makes me sad.

17. anonym

anonym Guest

Nick07 that's a bit unfair. Some of us are actually grateful for the OP for sharing this with us, as you can see by our responses considering trying it in spite of our dysphoria.

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 02:45 PM ----------

After making a big error ordering my binder I'm all for checking things with people who have tried and tested them first lol. I like the idea of no rubbish. Environmental issues aside, it means people don't need to know I have a period and I don't have to rely on using a women's toilet with a sanitary bin. :slight_smile:

I hope you don't mind answering a few more questions? Sorry! Firstly how do you find using them at night? Is there a maximum time you can leave it in without emptying like tampons are 6-8 hours? I can't use tampons at night because there is a queue for the loo in the morning and I don't want to get TSS by going over the 8 hours so I have to use pads which I hate. Do you find the cup ever leaks? I'm asking that because I have to use tampons and pads at the same time because sometimes tampons have leaked on me.:frowning2:

18. Nick07

anonym, then I wasn't talking about you, right? :slight_smile:
    The thread got so heated, that the OP felt the need to apologize... For coming here with open arms and nothing but good intentions.

I can't remember if we actually have had such a thread made by a cis person lately. There are usually questions. Not, "Look, I have something great for you" threads.

19. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you do much for saying this! You have no idea how much it means to me, I wasn't expecting all the negativity and I was really starting to regret this whole post.

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 02:05 PM ----------

Oh hun, I WANT to answer questions! I just don't like the negativity, but who would? Seriously ignore me if you don't like the idea. I don't mind!

They say 12 hours but I'm fairly sure mine was in a little longer than that one day and I have only noticed it (since I figured out how to put it in right) when I take it out to clean it and when I use the bathroom without taking it out (just barely, I have to push it up a little after but I had to do that with tampons too). You cannot get TSS from medical grade silicon. I'm not entirely sure what even happens after 12 hours. I suggest using a pad, panty liner, reusable pad, etc. until you can get the seal right. I figured it out pretty quick myself and had some very very slight leaks at first but it was only a couple drops. Also the first time I took it out with stuff in it was messy but I was fine after that. Learning curve!

The entire experience was way better than my first experiences with tampons were when I was 11-12ish. Less leaking, less ick in my opinion. And yesterday was my last day. When I woke up this morning I was like. Did I put the cup back in or not? And I actually checked. That's how little I notice it.

20. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah that seems really great honestly. I also imagine it would be liberating to not have to rush out to the store to buy tampons every month when mother nature catches me off guard again.