1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of not fitting in and not being enough for queer culture

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lottaotter, Apr 16, 2023.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m sick of gay culture.

I’ll never be young enough, edgy enough, political enough, gender non-conforming enough, rebellious enough for them.

I tried, really tried, being part of the gay scene. I tried a sports group which promised to be an alternative to the scene, only to be ignored week after week, not knowing what to talk about to these guys who throw out references to drag queens and musicals like everyone’s supposed to know what they mean. They all lived their entire lives around being gay and I couldn’t compete. I left saying it was due to mental health reasons and none of them have ever bothered to reach out.

All the gays in my city are interested in is either clubs and parties or stuff like board games, D&D and gaming… what do I do if I’m not interested in either of those??? The LGBTQ+ organisations here are all focussed on gender non-conforming people, non-white people (fair enough, there isn’t really a lot of support out for those two groups) and almost exclusively for people under the age of 25. So not me, basically.

Dates have been utterly shocked and horrified when I’ve admitted I’ve never been to a drag show or wanted to try drag myself. So what? I don’t have anything against drag but why do we all have to like it? And why do drag kings never get any attention?

Why do we all have to identify as ‘queer’ and be a certain way? I’ll never live up to the standards. I’m not “Tall, dark or [conventionally] handsome”, I haven’t had enough sexual experiences, I’m not interested in an ‘open’ relationship, I don’t wear, bright, edgy or fashionable clothes.

I was going to go to Pride last year but didn’t have anyone to go with and chickened out. It’s just an opportunity for conventionally attractive people to flaunt their bodies, no place for someone like me.

I wanted to find acceptance among gay people (since straight men don’t like being friends with gay men) but I’ve found myself even more isolated. I’ve even been told by people I “Look homophobic”. I’m thinking of changing my avatar to a picture of me so you can all see what I mean.

buzzer and Wanderlost like this.
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww buddy I'm sorry you're feeling this way. You sound like a great guy so I don't understand it either. There's nothing wrong with you! I don't think most gay guys here are in the scene like that and are just average guys. There must be straight or bi guys who would be friends with a gay guy in whatever interest group you could get into. I've never been to a drag show or watched Dragrace. I might be worried that I'd get picked out of the crowd for some jokes and would be too shy lol. Other flamboyant performers like circus sideshow acts and clowns can be a little unnerving for some people too. If I was nearby I'd meet you for coffee or a pint! :hugging:

buzzer and lottaotter like this.
  3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey Lottaotter, you and me have a lot in common.

I'm 53. I can't pretend any more to be interested in the current club scene and all that hocus pocus, elves n' goblins nonsense? It's for kids as far as I'm concerned (sorry gamers - just my humble opinion!)

Whisper it...I don't like drag either. I find much of it incredibly cliched and unadventurous. Also as a trans woman, I think I've always felt uneasy about it, like it was laughing at people like me..

Me neither. I'd like to find someone I can love and who'll be able to love me.

The word 'queer' has always irked me. I get how it's become a badge of pride yadda yadda yadda. But I'd like to think I'm as normal as anyone else living round here. I like football, cooking and running. I like being sociable, entertaining friends. I hate the Tories. The only thing that puts me outside the mainstream here in London is that I'm trans. I don't need to join a 'queer' club to feel accepted. People either accept as I am or sod 'em!

Anyway, I'm digressing. I guess what I'm trying to say is there are loads of us who don't fit into the preconceived boxes of what constitutes an LGTBQ+ lifestyle. What are you into, Lottaotter? Try and find people who are into the same things as you. It doesn't matter if they are gay, straight, bi or some mixture of the above. It's the quality of the connection that counts.

Instead of trying to fit in with the rest of the world, how about trying to create your own social world; one that fits in with your interests, your needs, your passions?

Beth xx

#3 chicodeoro, Apr 17, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You absolutely do NOT have to live up to the status quo's ridiculous standards. I always find it so funny (not in a haha way) that the same community that scolds others for not thinking outside the box is so often well versed in putting themselves into boxes. I've noticed some of what you've mentioned, about how it seems expected that every LGBT person should know/enjoy/participate in drag (I don't), should use queer instead of any other label (if someone wants to do that, that's fine--that is not something that should be pushed on the LGBT populace as a whole), and that unless you label yourself with the tendance du jour, you are not "queer enough", you clearly have internalized *insert bigotry here*, or any number of reductive reasoning to justify dismissing someone's point of view.

You are gay. It is a part of you, not the whole of you, and it sounds to me like you are a lot more confident in who you are as a gay person than a lot of these folks you mentioned are. A lot of what happens with them smacks of overcompensation, which is heartbreaking: that anyone thinks they have to be overt in their sexual orientation in order to belong is depressing, not to mention false; there is no right or wrong way to be gay. The only qualifier is that you are exclusively attracted to men. That's literally it.

I know it's hard, but don't let their small-minded attitudes get you down. You are who you are, and it's better to be true to yourself than to falsify yourself for others.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who are the people expecting us to do all that and why do they matter to you? The OP said similar but I quoted yours since it was most recent. I don't think most of us expect everyone to know/enjoy/etc all that stuff so if we're in the majority, how are those expectations being enforced, so to speak? I've used the word queer here as a general term to include all of us that have been rejected for being different. We're not like other marginalized groups, like race or religion since people fit in their family in the same way. I don't get why anyone would try to make you use queer and it's not my intent. If someone does that to you just explain it rationally and if they don't like it, you don't want to hang with them anyway.

lottaotter likes this.
  6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I’m new here but don’t worry about what other people think. Are you happy? If not change things you can. As you get older you will wonder why you even cared about trying to fit in.

lottaotter likes this.
  7. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the others. Your only chance is to be yourself. That’s what I believe about myself too, although still working on that. We’ve been pretending for too long right? It’s time to be us, not one of them (whatever the hell that means). When you believe in yourself and you live that, everyone around will notice the transformation. You may not so much but believe me they will. Join, don’t join, but be yourself. I choose not to be a joiner. I just want to be me and express that. It may fit in somewhere and it may not but I’ll try to always be my authentic self. I’ve waited too long for this. You have too.

Ipswichfan, Wanderlost and lottaotter like this.
  8. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Awesome wording. Thanks!

BiGemini87 and lottaotter like this.
  9. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, I am sorry I haven't repsonded to them individually. Just got a lot on at the moment with trying to find a place to live and not be homeless. Yeah, fun.

Anyway thank you very much for your kidn words everyone.

BiGemini87 and 74andHome like this.
  10. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We’re here for you on an ongoing basis. Hang with us and share your challenges and successes.

lottaotter likes this.
  11. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I think most people who aren't into the mainstream scene are here on EC, just not close enough to meet up sadly.

This, this, this! I just don't understand how people are holding up this brand of 'humour' where you belittle people as so wonderfully accepting and deserving of applause...and usually it's the same people who are so quick to label almost everything else in the known universe as 'Problematic' in their high-and-mighty opnion.

Ipswichfan likes this.
  12. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Finally someone said it! :laughing: In one way it's nice that previously-niche interests are becoming more accepted, but it feels like it's gone the other way and now it's almost compulsory to like 'nerdy' stuff. At least, it seems like 90% of people on dating apps I've been on are describing themselves as 'Massive nerds'.

Assuming you haven't had to go into hiding and assume a new identity to avoid being carted off to the Gay Gulag after saying that Beth, that is encouraging to hear. Thank you. Obviously it's an outsider's perspective but some drag performers seem to act like they're God's gift to trans people... what are they doing to help the cause, exactly?

More and more recently I'm wondering if 'gay' really fits me. I've noticed just in my lifetime how it's shifted from people using 'gay' as an adjective (like an aspect of their personality; 'I am gay...but I'm also X, Y and Z') to using it as a noun ('that is me'). I could be overthinking it though. I saw the term 'Women-loving women' somewhere recently and I think I like the sound of 'Men-loving men'. No doubt some people would accuse me of internalised homophobia for that, but whatever.

Once I have got out of this bad spell caused by stress of trying to find a home to rent I am going to set myself the goal of looking into groups I could go to. A pattern that emerged in the past when I've tried to join groups is that I've always ended up feeling that no-one wants me there; that I'm not welcome, especially when everyone else seems to know each other except me.

chicodeoro likes this.
  13. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I agree- people are getting so hypocritical with their identity-policing nowadays. I think people who do genuinley hate the LGBTQ+ umbrella of indentities are probably happy that we've descended into this mess of in-fighting!

I hope I'm confident in myself like you suggest. Maybe I compare myself to the type of people I talk about in this thread too much. Let's face it- I'm never going to git neatly into the ideal appearance for gay men- it would take tens of thousands of pounds of plastic surgery for me to even come close. A lot of the time when I feel low anyway it makes me desperately sad that I'll never look the way men/gay men are supposed to, but when I am feeling good, I feel proud to look different, and know I have something unique going for me.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  14. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I'm not really happy. Sometimes I am, for brief spells. But I can't help feeling things are missing in my life that I ought to have, like a partner and friends close to me, and mpre interesting or normal hobbies. I'd love to look different too, but it's not the kind of thing you can change without surgery.

15. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I've been struggling to find my authentic self. I'm never really sure what is me, and what isn't- as in, if something is really what I want/need or if it's just years of society's expectations. Dp you have any ideas about how I can differentiate between them? Thank you again.

Wanderlost likes this.
  16. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. I like games, but so many people who introduce themselves not only on dating apps, but other platforms too always say they love dnd and I've never played even once, so it makes me feel like I don't fit in the crowd. I'm a nerd, but I'm into different things and it's why I felt often that I can't be a nerd if I don't like the same stuff and felt like I couldn't fit in with them, because I wouldn't know how to start conversations, but I did find someone else who liked similar things, so it's not hopeless. People who get you are out there. You just haven't met that group yet. I'm also lucky because my cousins and nephews like similar things I like as well and they get me into stuff they like as well.

It's all entertainment and brings in money. Some genuinely enjoy doing it though. I for example am not into Furry's I don't get the appeal and I have a phobia against people who are in disguises. I hate having phobias. At least with drag you do see the faces, even if it's covered in makeup. Some do entertainment for children and read to them. I think this kind of exposure is good. It makes the society more tolerable. I like seeing these kinds of videos, because it helps see that there isn't just hate out there. Not everyone has to like all these things though. People can have different opinions on the matters. In the end of the day, we are all just human and within mankind there are just different kinds of folks and some of them do have god complex or got a big head.

You don't need a label at all. You are you. Labels are not something that defines you. It simply describes your sexuality. Too many let the label define themselves.

lottaotter likes this.
  17. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello there! I’m truly sorry that you have felt so left out and excluded. People can be so thoughtless and cruel. I’m bisexual and 26, (so around the age group I know you feel alienated from) but I also have experienced some of what you’re talking about despite my age. I often don’t feel edgy enough either compared to many of my peers. I’m not really overly political and I don’t necessarily share my beliefs with every person I meet. I’m also not at all interested in drag or watching it. I don’t play games and I spend most of my free time reading. I dress fairly femme most of the time and everyone who meets me prob thinks I’m straight. I know it’s probably not much, but I just want you to know that it’s okay to be you. You’re fine the way you are. Being queer doesn’t mean you have to do certain things or look a certain way. You sound like a genuine guy and that’s what matters.

#17 AnxiousReader, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Wanderlost, Ipswichfan and lottaotter like this.
  18. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see these kinds of “norms” reinforced on social media all the time. I definitely have seen it reflected in groups and clubs as well. A lot of lgbt school clubs really seem to act like everyone who is gay are a monolith and all like the same things and have the same interests. I think that’s unfortunate because it makes people who don’t share these interests feel unwelcome.

Mihael likes this.
  19. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think using a label you feel comfortable with is the most important thing. Or even no label at all. I think Men loving Men as a descriptor is just fine if that reflects how you feel. I use a variety of labels because several more or less fit.

lottaotter likes this.
  20. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel a lot of these things too! I wish there were more non-nightclub LGBTQ+ venues to hang out - like libraries or coffee shops! I mean I know they can't discriminate against straight people! But it seems like the only LGBTQ+ specific places are aimed at young extroverts! I love to go and see all the happy, beautiful, young people having fun sometimes but I don't really feel part of it.
    Also being bi I have experienced bi-phobia and erasure from both straight and gay people... I don't have any answers except that you're certainly not alone!