1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8 upheld, 18,000 same-sex marriages still valid

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Martin, May 22, 2009.

1. Greggers

quoting my self on a different thread:

2. Emberstone

I had no idea that california's supreme court was made up of 6 far right conservative, and one democrat...

I think we need to remind the churches that in the western world, marriage is a legal institution, not a church institution. before christianity took it over by often violent force, along with many legal institutions such as taxes and the like, marriage was a legal institution, not a church institution... plus gay marriages were not unheard of, and the catholic church preformed a few in the three hundred years between the crucifixion, and the church decided the best way to grow is to burn anyone who doesnt agree with you on the stake.

The church needs to stay where it belongs, in the church. it needs to get the frick out of politics, cause history shows the church is the most evil force in the existance of goverment and democracy. when the church has too much power, millions of people die....
    ... if only that was a exageration.

3. djt820

Im pretty happy really. It shows marriage is not whats its cracked up to be. Hopefully, we can get rid of marriage all together.

4. Mick

Mick Guest

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! :frowning2:

California is the gayest state in the U.S. and prop 8 get upheld. Well here in NY, it's going to get passed. Though I dunno... it's a tie here. So maybe not. :\

5. Derek the Wolf

This honestly doesn't bother me that much. I know it's horrible, but I don't feel upset right now. Marriage doesn't really mean anything anymore considering divorce and all that jazz.

6. djt820

Ditto.

7. Just Adam

i just want everyone treated the same but nobody seems to think thiss way out in the real world its disgusting how they can deny people the freedom to express love.

8. acorn7

I understand and kind of agree on marriage itself, but what we have here is an issue of (in)equality. The fact they deny gays what they allow for heterosexuals is the problem. As someone said, gays too should have the chance to divorce :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Amy

Amy

I'm not really suprised; I was expecting this, actually.

We'll keep fighting. And we will get our rights.

10. Derek the Wolf

At this point I've just kind of accepted the fact that my place in society is as a second class citizen. If others want to get their equality then that's great. All I know is the way society is now I have a lot of shit to deal with. Always been that way and if it changes that's great but I just want to live my life, not fight a crusade.

11. mattypants

the state as a whole? i thought massachusettes had that? lol

12. Bunny

...Wow.

I really wasn't...expecting this. .__.

Bummer, to say the least.

13. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

This made the news in england too, I'm kinda glad i live in england.

14. Jim1454

Reading the LA Times article online and some of the comments, one person wrote:

:roflmao:

Again - it's a process. We haven't ALWAYS had gay marriage here in Canada. It came about, over time, as the public mindset changed. That's happening in the US too, even if a little slower than we'd all like.

15. JakeBHT

here is a newspaper article (sorry about it being a bad scan) from england about it!

Attached Files:

16. djt820

I see this whole idea of marriage ripping apart society. Somehow, marriage is glorified to be something everyone wants in their lifetime. Why? Youre stuck with one person, and you cant leave this person unless you fill your divorce lawyer's pockets full and piss the hell out of the other partner. Its all dumb bullshit. Religion put this idea into the mainstream and everyone follows it. Marriage holds us back as a species. The gay community is fighting for something that started from religion. Relgion has deducted us as second class citizens. WHY THE FUCK ARE WE DOING THIS?! Where is the sense in all this?
    I dont mean to blow up in your face but this gets me pissed to no end.

17. Shevanel

Love. and not all LGBT folks are non religious.

18. djt820

So, we must boast our love by spending lots of money for this bullshit ceremony and get some legal status. Why? Weddings are fucking boring. If people love each other. Thats great. You dont need an all day festival to pretentiously show your love for one another to other people. And for the LGBT folks that are relgious, Im sorry you feel that way.

19. Shevanel

Well we're sorry you feel that way too. Some people like to be happy you know?

20. djt820

So, youre telling me, in order to be happy, I have to get married? Right. Ok.