1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8 upheld, 18,000 same-sex marriages still valid

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Martin, May 22, 2009.

1. RyonRyon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    PROP 8 upheld :frowning2:

Prop 8 Upheld :frowning2: :frowning2:
    18,000 prior marriages remain valid .

who's going to a rally tonight ?

2. Shevanel

Re: Prop 8 ruling on Tuesday...

They're upholding Prop 8 apparently.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Justice Moreno was the lone dissenter in the 6-1 decision. >.<

4. Re: Prop 8 ruling on Tuesday...

Can't say I'm surprised.

5. DexterMorgan

6. RyonRyon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  7. Nodnarb

Re: PROP 8 upheld :frowning2:

Damn...But not surprising.

And the nearest rally to me is in Illinois....7 hours away:frowning2:

8. pokeypanda

Re: Prop 8 ruling on Tuesday... [Prop 8 upheld, 18,000 same-sex marriages still valid

Can't Say I'm not suprised but this SUCKS!!!

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Prop 8 ruling on Tuesday... [Prop 8 upheld, 18,000 same-sex marriages still valid

Situations like this make me eternally thankful Canadians are not stupid enough to allow the making of law by ballot measure. I can't think of a worse "democratic" "feature."

10. GhostDog

Dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit

DAMMIT

And I am packed and already committed to going out of town TONIGHT or you bet your ass I'd be in Denton with a sign and my game face on. >:/ If California can't do it, what the hell hope does Texas have?

RARARAR. RAWWWR.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- The California Supreme Court upheld Tuesday a ban on same-sex marriages that state voters passed in November, but it allowed about 18,000 same-sex marriages performed before the ban to remain valid.
    Proposition 8, which bans same-sex marriage in California, faced a constitutionality test but was upheld.

The 6-1 ruling was met with chants of "shame on you" from a crowd of about 1,000 people who gathered outside the court building in San Francisco.

"It's nice that my marriage is still intact, but that's not the point," said Kathleen White, who married her partner in 2008.

Opponents of the ban argued that the controversial Proposition 8, which state voters passed 52 percent to 48 percent in November, improperly altered the California Constitution to restrict a fundamental right guaranteed in the state's charter.

But the court -- which had allowed same-sex marriages in a 2008 decision -- found the measure was narrow enough to pass legal muster.

Attorneys for the opponents also said the proposition, which removed the "marriage" label from same-sex unions, effectively deprived same-sex couples of a fundamental right guaranteed them under the equal-protection clause in the U.S. Constitution.

The passage of Proposition 8 made California one of several states to ban same-sex marriage in the November 4 elections. But unlike others, California had been issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples since the state Supreme Court ruled in May 2008 that the unions were legal.

Four states -- Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts and Iowa -- allow same-sex marriages. A Vermont law making such marriages legal will take effect in September.

On May 6, same-sex marriage became legal in Maine as Gov. John Baldacci signed a bill less than an hour after the state Legislature approved it.

In April, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled unanimously that it is illegal to discriminate against same-sex couples by denying them the right to marry. The first gay marriages in the state took place April 27.

The District of Columbia voted May 5 to recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, though it does not itself give marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

In April, New York Gov. David Paterson introduced legislation to make same-sex marriage legal in his state.

New Hampshire's move to legalize same-sex marriage hit a road bump Wednesday after that state's House of Representatives did not agree to legislation changes made by the governor.

Both the House and Senate already had approved allowing gay couples to marry. But Gov. John Lynch, a three-term Democrat, said he would sign a same-sex marriage bill only if it provides "the strongest and clearest protections for religious institutions and associations, and for the individuals working with such institutions."

The House on Wednesday fell two votes short of approving Lynch's language. The chamber then voted to send the legislation to a committee to be considered further.

12. Mickey

OMG! This sucks. How can they uphold discrimination? The nation will have a hell of a fight on their hands. I wish there was something I could do to help. I do sign all petitions that get sent to my e-mail. It's awful when others can vote on your life. I'm sad for California and for gay people,everywhere.

13. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Upheld?! Ugh.

THIS IS SUCH FUCKING BULLSHIT.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Not to rain on anyone's parade but signing online petitions is essentially useless. If you want to help, try writing (even by email) or calling your political representatives. And donating to causes you support, even a small amount, always helps.

15. xequar

Thanks California. You just ruined what small amount of faith in the United States of America that I had left. If you read my rant in the "What are you thinking" thread, that will have a bit more context.

16. Jim1454

I read the article in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prop8-decision27-2009may27,0,6677891.story

So the fight continues. All marriages done prior to today stand, but future marriages would not be considered legal.

REMEMBER...

This 'battle' may not have been won, but the 'war' continues. (I don't really like using those words.)

The fact of the matter is, it's more about educating people and developing tolerance. Not unlike civil rights for blacks and women. It's a matter of time.

And the debate continues.

17. paco

paco Guest

:frowning2: i hope this gets amended soon, otherwise i'll have to leave my home state..

18. Markio

Me too. I don't want to have to travel to the east coast the get married. Iowa's practically the east coast from here...:tears:

19. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
  20. factwithinfiction

I wasn't expecting something grand to happen but it's absolutely idiotic that the same justices that said, "Yes you guys can get married." are not letting us do it again. Saying that yet letting the 18,000 marriages still be valid is like a kick in our ass.

It doesn't make sense. Coming from someone who lives literally an hour from San Francisco and who plans to move there in a year, I'm saddened and disappointed to be called a Californian. For my sake, I hope they are protesting their asses off for me.