1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New year goals 2024

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JT1999, Jan 17, 2024.

1. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thought it was about time we had an accountability thread on here, so what are your New Year’s resolutions or goals for 2024?

I’ll start - I want to run a 5 minute mile. It’s a lot more pace than I’m used to, but over a much shorter distance. I think I have the cardio fitness for it, but doubt my legs have the capacity to work at that intensity for 5 minutes.

Who else has set themselves a challenge for this year?

2. Carla01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My Goal for 2024
    * Address and complete the unfinish dragging divorce this year even if means I loose now to gain later
    * Start living as the true me

Excursive is good for the looks and mind

3. Jahiem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I been on a diet since Nov of last year so continuing with that. I want to lose over 80+ pounds.
    Pass both my medical coding and Billing certifications
    Go on a vacation by my self

4. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Main goal is to have a dedicated area where my instruments and related equipment can be permanently setup. It takes about 10 minutes to setup and tear down each time I practice at the moment and, when you only have a spare 30 minutes, doesn't leave a lot of time to play.

To get there, I need to redecorate and reorganise the house so that it's a reflection of me and the children rather than life we used to have. I've been chipping away at it over the last few months but I really need to up my game.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one goal that I've set every year since 2011: Do five things I've never done before.

Other than that, I've decided to actively not set goals this year. Last year, I did yearly, monthly, and weekly goals and more often than not I failed to complete most of them and felt bad about it. This year, I've decided instead to keep a running list of things I've accomplished and focus on what I've done rather on what I haven't.

6. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the first time, I have real and optimistic goals: keep going to the gym, begin running and participating in local runs, trips to mountains and small villages in my region, write again fiction and publish something...

And, overall, fulfill my goals in therapy, and become the man I want to be with my family and friends... and with myself.

7. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you lost much so far?

I have the opposite problem, I’d like to put on a few pounds. I like exercise but I eat like no other woman I know, but I don’t know where it all goes. I’m 5ft 5” and about 115lbs, but I eat what a fully grown active man is meant to eat. You probably think it’s a nice problem to have but it is quite limiting, it’s very difficult for me to get stronger at the gym. I’ve been stuck lifting what I lift now for the best part of 6 months.

8. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like this one. Has it led to you doing anything really wild?

9. Jahiem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I lost 24 since November, i stopped drinking,sodas,teas and stop eating snacks and eating out like i am crazy lol. Do you drink any protein shakes and stuff? i know so many girls who say they try so hard to gain weight.

10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooh good question! One of my biggest goals this year is to move to Australia. Some of my goals is to buy myself a Nintendo Switch and a new laptop. I also want to learn how to cook. Here are some of my goals that I can share, I have several more.

11. Carla01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have started to exercise 6 months ago and lost 10kg by reducing the amount of take aways to two a month and totally cut soda drinks and walking 7 kilometers in the morning and night before any meal but snacking on cholates I cannot control

12. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been walking now a lot more than before and attending physiotherapy, so one goal started. I need to loose weight, but it's hard thanks to health issues what raise my weight. I've been reading more too. I am learning more about drawing and I've alreay found out new things. Right now it's theory. I'm already practicing, but theory will help to perfect it. I think this will be a good year regarding keeping up with my resolutions. I haven't been setting them usually, because I can't fulfill them, so it's a nice change that I'm actually keeping up with my resolutions.

13. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine is to find a publisher for my next book..

Do you mean sub 5 minutes, JT? Jesus, that's fast! My one mile PB is 5:34 - made five years ago when I still had loads of testosterone oozing round my body...

Beth

14. CyberSteve88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A 5 minute mile is quite a challenge. I used to do 10k runs when I was playing football. I stopped when my knees started to bother me. I'm limited to the bike these days.

15. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I have whey protein shakes, I have a strawberries and cream flavour that I like to mix with Greek yoghurt to make a nice high protein dessert too. I quite often pour a load of double cream in for the extra cals….

16. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    5:34 is impressive. What sort of shape were you in back then, and did you train specifically for that distance or just general running? I think I could beat 6 minutes now, I can do 3 miles at about 6:30 a mile. If I can get 4:59 I will be happy. Hopefully in a couple of weeks the conditions will be better and I’ll get out and set an initial time.

The loop around my village is about 1.9 miles according to Google maps and barely any incline/decline so doing that in under 10 mins is something I’m gonna aim for too.

17. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My fiancé is an ex rugby player, even now at 100+kg he is waaaay faster than me in a sprint. He struggles to keep with me over longer distances though, especially in the heat. He’s more into high intensity interval training, so will sprint 30-60 seconds & then walk 30-60 seconds until recovered and repeat.

I have had knee, ankle, shin, you name it pains before, nothing serious but I do think I want to cut down on the distances and up my pace instead.

18. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a former rugby player too, as well as baseball. Even though I haven't done any training in years, I can still sprint very fast for short distances, my legs have simply remained quite muscular. I have never been able to do distance running, I just can't keep to a "slow" pace.

I do need to get into better shape, after all I'm not getting any younger and I'm the only parent these kids have. Interval training like your fiancé does sounds like something I could actually do and likely enjoy. At this stage I don't know what an achievable goal or stretch goal would be but at the very least I think a goal of designing a regime and sticking to it is a reasonable start.

Thanks for sharing @JT1999, it's inspired me!

19. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad to hear it! Just make a start, record what you do, then do it again and improvements will happen naturally. Four things to focus on are strength (weights/machines), control (free weights), flexibility (yoga, Pilates, stretching), and cardiovascular fitness (running/bike/rowing). A bit of all of those will help you no end. And if you want a specific recommendation, search DDP Yoga on YouTube, my fiancé used this program to help get over a really bad back injury years ago, which is what ended his competitive rugby playing - that was before I met him.

Weight loss is 80% done in the kitchen, but it’s at the gym where you will build a healthier, more functional, more aesthetic body.

20. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same. I keep getting scared and chickening out though lol. Good luck!
    I liked my ideas in 2023 and was able to do them, so I'm sticking with them.

I wanted to read more, that was technically my only "goal".

Then I started a "5 year bucket list", with the idea of doing at least several "small" or a couple "big" things off of it each year. I love it- depending on money, opportunites, seeing if somebody else may be interesting it doing them as well etc, I'll pick things to do. And that way, if money is tight or things don't work out, Ill pick something else without feeling like a failure for not doing anything lol.
    As I do things, I cross stuff off, and I think or see things I want to do I'll add them.