1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass effect?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SpectreStatus, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Ashen

That makes me feel like I should get my recording equipment out and create a video of my own. Alas, my game capture device annoys me to no end.

2. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

How does he kill them that fast?

3. Ashen

He's using what we in the mass effect community call the LOLreegar, plus incendiary ammo which stacks at huge amounts with that things high ROF. The reegar will destroy absolutely anything that fast. My guess is that he's using a shotgun rail amp as well, making for an insane powerful version of an already insanely powerful gun.

Many people who get to a higher level of skill in the game usually stop using the reegar, because for a good amount of classes the speed decrease and small ammo clip isn't extremely worth it, and they want more of a challenge (plus that thing carries a slightly negative stigma among the community because of it's insane capabilities.) I personally don't use it that much, if at all anymore.

4. Ashen

And thus, this thing was bumped back to the top :wink:

5. ScatteredEarth

Being a Playstation user my entire life, I have never really been introduced to the franchise, but with it's 3rd release, its entire series was ported to the PS3, but I have yet to play it, however, my friend who is a die hard ME fan had played it on numerous occasions so I can say that I get the gist of it atleast. Although according to him... And everyone else apparently, the ending of Mass Effect 3 was and I quote "The most god awful PoS ever conceived and that BioWare should fire their writers because of it." I fail to see why, but then again I haven't gotten into the story. Although I was a big fan of the old KOTOR games back when I had an Xbox classic. (Along with my PS2 ofc :slight_smile: )

6. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As a Mass Effect Fan who'd played the other two games, I thought the ending was okay, honestly. People are way too dramatic. It's much better now, with that DLC, too.

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Incoming rant about the ending of the game... in a spoiler.
    So that's it... that's the ending to the Mass Effect trilogy. An amazing story built up to that. None of the ending made any sense at all. The reaper was purposefully avoiding killing me, I never saw Anderson behind me so how the hell did he follow me up to the Crucible, how did Anderson get to the controls before I did when there was only one entrance to the room? Why the hell was I able to shoot The Illusive Man while he was controlling my body only after he shot Anderson and was about to finish him off?

Why was the child that died at the start of Mass Effect 3 the catalyst? They never explain that. I have THREE choices at the end. I can go to the left and get indoctrinated. I can jump into the middle to turn everyone into one single race because you know... it's not like I spent the entire game trying to dispel racism and mend fences or anything. Or I can go to the right and destroy it, killing all the synthetic life everywhere; the same synthetic life that I worked so hard to give freedom to.

All of these choices are stupid! They all go against everything Shepard stands for. Not to mention that they all destroy the relays stranding every race in Earth's solar system. And then at the very end you see Shepard take a breath in some rubble. How the hell did she get back on Earth?! Was any of what just happened real or did she dream it up after the Reaper shot a laser at her?

8. CTJ

CTJ

Have you ever watched any of the 'Indoctrination Theory' videos? It isn't cannon but it gives the ending a somewhat awesome feel to it.

Even if you dont believe in I.T, i hadn't even heard of it until after the extended ending, i came away from the ME3 slightly disappointed but felt resolved. The entire game was fucking epic, and when i say entire game i mean the 100+ hours of one playthrough of the entire trilogy. This was a series that made me laugh, made me cry and every other emotion in between, the fact that the last 10 minutes of the series were less than satisfactory (but still greater than any other ending to an rpg i've played) wouldn't dampen the fact that Bioware have created a masterpiece in gaming.

Call me a blind fan boy, but there is no game or ever will be another quite like Mass Effect.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Fugs on this one. All the choices you make from the beginning of ME1 are tossed out the window. None of it matters. You choose one of four* endings and watch what happens.

It's not terrible, but it in no way does justice to the sweeping heroic journey that came before it. I remember a dev talking about ME3 before it came out, and he said "Since the end doesn't have to tie into the beginning of a fourth game, it can branch out in a number of different outcomes and anything can happen." Well, I see that for whatever reason they decided "fuck that noise" and it all comes back to a bottleneck anyway. The fact that all the choices have extremely bad outcomes also doesn't help much.

*The fourth option is not to choose any of the three.
    You just die, and the Reapers harvest all the sentient races like they have always done. The Catalyst says "The cycle continues" and the game ends.

I chose Synthesis, because controlling the reapers is immoral/batshit crazy, destroying them is also immoral in that it would take out EDI, the Geth, and others that don't deserve death, and Synthesis at least means peace without anyone being enslaved. The infusion of electronics into organics by some unexplained techno-magic is still absolutely silly, though. The limited suspension of disbelief that was maintained throughout the whole game was dashed underfoot, and for what? A twist? M. Night Shyamalan would approve.

10. CheesyGoose

Yeah I'm a big big big fan of the ME series. I've played all the games with all the DLCs and now doing that again actually, from the very beginning. Such a great series does deserve to be played more than once obviously. I like almost all the characters, save for Jacob and Vega, who are just frustrating :I

Favourite weapons would have to be pistols and sniper rifles, gun type wise. Snipers are the best in ME3, since you can actually blow off heads. Call me a creepy sadist, but I love to blow up Cerberus soldier's heads.

Now, just to give my input on the ending one, is that the destroy option is the one for me. Shepard's goal was to destroy the Reapers once and for all, and I see the renegade Shep do just that, even at the expense of synthetics. And yes, I'd see renegade shep doing that and the paragon one doing the Synthesis one. Since the control one is pure evil. I'm not gonna touch the reject one. But then again, synthesis makes everyone these synthetic-organic beings, but what if someone's not pleased with that? What if someone wants to be only organic. You can't really force such a thing onto a person, it's wrong. However, I think that if it helps you save the galaxy, then you'd do it. But this is just my opinion.

11. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it might have been either lazy design or EA being a dick again (shocker) and tightening the time restraints. The ending could have been more thought-out and the lack of explanation doesn't feel right when the rest of the story was so fleshed out.

I mean really, what sane person would make a game based entirely on the user's choices and have the end depend upon the amount of resources you collected. You get basically the same ending no matter what you choose and how many resources you made by the way. Only difference is a snipped cinematic and the inability to suicide into a giant beam of energy.

12. Meropspusillus

They also wrote themselves into a bit of a corner. You can't write a story about an unbeatable super-monster that can only be killed using a super weapon that you don't know about and have people be satisfied with the ending.

13. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

On multilayer the snipers seem to get the best score all the time, but I have terrible accuracy so don't choose them haha.

Yh I know you mean about the decisions in 1 and 2 not featuring in 3, it sucks. Especially in 2 with the geth base or whether you save the collector base.