1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduce yourself

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by nisomer, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quasar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't say!! :smile: Welcome joey, it's gonna be good to have you around, and I think you'll be a great asset for the younger people in need of that advice and support.

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah... actually, I never got into Aquaman, although I might like Peter David's run on him because I really liked his take on Supergirl.

3. goratrix

I never liked him until DC vs Marvel, when he killed his opponent... it was hilarious.

4. xyc

xyc

Hello... I suppose I should introduce myself. My name's Bryan, I'm 16 years old (17 in a couple days!) and I'm Canadian (well, I have German, Russian and Mongolian paternal ancestry; and Irish, Manx, English and Scottish maternal ancestry). I live in Saskatchewan, I'm male and I'm gay. (Btw, Saskatchewan is a central Canadian prairie province and is the one that is most against same-sex marriage in Canada, woo hoo for me!)

I realized I was gay in Grade 7 (about 12 or 13 years old). I immediately became really depressed. I, for some reason, decided that I would then have to hide everything about myself just incase I accidentally 'gave away' that I was gay or something. After that my personality kinda changed completely; I went from being sociable and always joking to quiet, reserved and serious. I've also developed Social Anxiety Disorder (tho', maybe that's not related...). Now, I feel like I've been hiding for so long that it's hard for me to just talk to people anymore... Anyways, after my initial depression, I moved into a denial/ignorance stage for about a year before I kind of just accepted it.

I've only come out to two people and only on-line: A completely random gay guy I found on the internet because I was feeling incredibly overwhelmed... and then later to my German e-mail penpal. (My German penpal's response to my "Ich bin schwul" was "Oh, that's fine. So am I!"). So, I've never come out to anyone person-to-person or to someone who was straight. Oh, and I have come out to all of you now, of course.

Quick History: I've grown up my entire life in one tiny small town (to give you an idea: there were two other males in my grade). I've never known any other gay people and for years felt like I may be the only one. This last year I changed schools and so I've been going there for ~8 months. Anyways, this school is in a city (small city, but city nonetheless). So, it seems like there finally may be some gay people here and so I've had to kind of face my sexuality and think about it. Anyways, here I've met this one gay who is effeminate, camp, flamboyant, etc. and everyone thinks he's gay and I've become friends with him... but I'll talk about him in another post sometime.

I've thought about coming out to my brother who I'm close to and who is very liberal minded (in fact, he's even talked about how homosexuality isn't a choice, etc. before) but I'm afraid it would change our relationship a lot. Also, I've thought about coming out to my mother because we're really close but I' m afraid it would push up apart, and I'm financially dependent right now... and she keeps sending mixed messages (sometimes she talks positively and thoughtfully about homosexuality but sometimes she also says "Oh, they'd be devastated if they (some rich neighbours of ours) had a gay son."). Also, I've thought about coming out to my friend who seems gay. But, we haven't been friends for that long (5, 6 months?) and maybe he's not gay (and then wouldn't reciprocate) and he might tell the whole school and there could be problems there... ...

Some interests are linguistics, ancient history, languages, cultures, fiction, writing, music, sciences, and there's more but who cares. I play the violin, viola and piano, and I like to compose music sometimes but I'm not very good...

And I can't think of anything else worth writing. Anyways, I apologize for the length of this... okay, tschau!

5. nisomer

Welcome to the boards!! :slight_smile:

I think that you will find that you really aren't alone, especially on this forum board. It will also help you with many problems that you might have.

I just wanted to say that your life seemed very similar to mine. Before 6th and 7th grade I was very talkative and socialable. Then I slowly started to stop talking to more and more people, and finally in 9th grade I felt so alone. Man 9th grade was my worst year. Then this year, it has been much better. Although I have not come out to anyone, I am a lot more socialable and am not as afraid to express my feelings. Coming to this board and visiting other gay-helping websites has also aided me a lot.

Seeing as how you play violin, viola, and piano, you must play classical music. I play classical guitar and I'm trying to write something (doesnt have to be classical style) for this documentary that my cousin is doing. Maybe you could help me? lol. I just need to figure out some chord progressions to get started (my theory isnt very good). I would be interested to see what you have composed yourself.

6. CryCrazy27

hmm i guess i should intro myself although i already posted elsewhere. well i knew i was gay for some time now and i have no problem with it. infact i think its fun being the way i am and trying to find guys. i am not out, and i am straight acting as can be. I outted to my best friend who had no problem wiht it and we still do things as if he never knew, but i pop in some jokes since he always has girl troubles lol. women are too much drama from what i see, lol glad im gay. bahh anyway im rambling. nice forum, although i like ### better since its more active...must.turn.18. =\

7. hawkeye

lol, crycrazy, when i was reading your post i thought you said that ### was more atractive. i guess that would be true too.anyways, dont be afraid to start another thread to talk about things.

8. nisomer

lolol, Welcome Crazy :wink:

9. TriBi

Thought I'd written something about myself in this thread - but then discovered it was here;
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84&postcount=6

Anyhow - in addition to that, I'm another of the "oldies" brigade, but always happy to help out where I can.

It is really good to see this forum really beginning to take off, with a lot of positive input from all sorts of people - great stuff! :thumbsup: :icon_cool

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! I'm from Vancouver... I thought Alberta was the province most against same-sex marriage. Not that Saskatchewan wouldn't necessarily be a close second but they have a strong NDP history so you think that would count for something.

I got some pretty mixed messages from my parents, too, so I know how you feel. Is your brother older? I guess it could change your relationship a lot... or it might not. I mean, in the ideal world, he just finds out something he doesn't know about you yet. In the practical world, there is definitely a difference between saying you're okay about gay people and then finding out someone close to you is one (this is usually more a problem for parents because they have all these expectations for their children's lives, whereas siblings don't usually build things up to quite that level). One of the issues he might face if you told him is that he might feel bad keeping that from your parents. Or he might be fine with... siblings often keep their parents out of the loop about certain things. But it's something to consider if you give the idea some more thought.

As for your friend who seems gay to you, well... if you do come out to him, I'd recommend not letting on you think he's gay because people often get upset when people assume things about them, especially about their sexuality, even if it's blatantly obvious. I would just tell him as a friend if you decide you want to tell him.

Anyway... welcome!

11. blueboomer

a big hello from the N.O.
    my name's alex, and i'm from new orleans, though i am attending university in monroe, LA. anywho, i'm 21, and sort of out of the closet. my brothers, sisters, and mother know, as well as all of my friends(they've been like my "brothers from other mothers" for almost ten years) i enjoy reading, writing, and videogames quite a bit, and ive recently begun to work out regularly. i'm also a huge nerd, as i actually enjoy studying :icon_redf . but anywho, i hope that i'll be able to help others on this forum with what little advice i can come up with, and drop me a line if you ever feel so inclined

Thanks
    ATT

12. Jordano

Hey Everyone -

My name is Jordan, I go to school in South Dakota, actually I think I'm the only person from South Dakota on this, and I'm still finding myself. I am a huge Music geek - I sing in choir and play my baritone saxophone in our Symphonic and Jazz Band.

The reason I say I'm still finding myself is because I'm in a long longterm relationship (with a girl) but have been showing attraction to a few guys for a year now... so I basically just need to find out who I really am. I thought this would be the best place to just let it all out... I haven't told anyone about this feeling I've been having and tend to keep it that way until I know for sure how I feel, and that's why I joined this! So in advance thanks for everything!

13. nisomer

Welcome guys! :smilewave

Jordano- I play saxaphone as well! Although I play alto...I am also a member of our schools concert band and play electric guitar in our jazz band :slight_smile:.

14. Jordano

Thats really cool, I love playing the saxophone, it's the best way for me to release stress.

Oh - I didnt mention this - Im 19, course you couldve figured that out by my birthday :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Jordano

Anyone else a music lover like me: singing, show choir, jazz, instrumental???

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love singing but I've never done it formally. I've been told I have a decent voice but I'm never very secure in that.

I played the clarinet in high school but nothing since. I've always wanted to be able to play the piano. *sigh*

17. Jordano

Wow - I really want to learn to play the piano too! Im a biology major with a music minor, and I can sing really well and play my saxophone really well, I just cant play the piano - sure I can plunk out notes but thats about it!! so I'm feeling ya on the whole *sigh* thing! :biggrin:

18. goratrix

I can play computer games... (and perhaps not even that)... oh well at least I can kick you head... XD

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent" Golan Trevize, The limits of the foundation and Foundation and earth. If you don't know him then you can't be called a nerd...

19. Micah

I'm not the most musically talented person either I'm affraid. I like to think I can sing ok but even though I can get 9000+ points on singstar, in actual fact I'm not. lol.

20. nisomer

i think we should bump this thread for all the new ppl :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.