1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduce yourself

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by nisomer, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nisomer

Since this is a roughly new and growing forum, I thought it would be nice for everyone to introduce themseves and get to know each other. I'll start-

I am 16 years old and I live in the great state of Minnesota. I enjoy playing a lot of guitar, computer games, snowboarding, and just hanging out. I also am a huge star wars fan. I am currently in 10th grade and still in the closet. I hope that this forum becomes a place where I can for once, express my true feelings.

2. Micah

Well I'm also 16 and in year 10. Im from Melbourne, Australia and enjoy running, music, video games and just hanging with mates. I'm technically 'out' but only to three people, two of whom are gay. Anyway thats me in a nutshell :grin:

3. cowboy_wannabe

great topic idea!

my name's tyler and i'm also 16 (popular age, no doubt!) and i'm from illinois. i like to hang out with my friends, write songs and jam out in guitar sessions at the local cafe, and just doing anything that's fun. i've worked since i was 14 and love my job and school very much. i plan on being a secondary history teacher after i graduate college. i'm techincally "out" to several people and that number grows everyday...it feels great, too!

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hi guys,

Well you're all around the target age-group this site was intended for. Welcome!!

This site actually came about as a result of some people your age signing up on an 18+ gay forum and getting banned for being underage. This bought about some discussion about what's available to under-18's. We found that there isn't much, and some of what is out there is rather freaky! We felt that there was a need for somewhere safer, hence Empty Closets (run by the guys who run the 18+ one, so they know what they are up to).

I'm one of the oldies who moderates this forum (although it doesn't really need much moderating at the moment). For the most part I'll leave you to discuss things between yourselves, but I'll probably give you "the benefit of my experience" from time to time (which you can always ignore!) :icon_lol:

I'm gay, fully out (came out at 27 athough with hindsight I knew since I was abouy 14), and have lived with my partner for around 12 years. I work in IT, and hobbies include collecting and restoring vintage radios, website design and DIY.

5. Stew

Hi,
    Another one of the older crew here :icon_lol:

Paul covered prety much most of it i think. As he said this place came about because many of us were realy shocked by some of the sites that were out there aimed at younger guys. There was little advice offered to people who wanted it and in the worst cases people were having a virtual finger pointed and being made fun of when thay asked quite serious questions or wanted to share personal fears, thoughts etc.

Anyway, as Paul said there are several of us here if you need us and we will chip in from time to time and help where we can.

As for me, I am in my 30's , been out to family,friends and work for years and live with my partner.

Stew

6. cowboy_wannabe

thanks guys! i'm glad you're here to show us some "success stories," especially when it's so easy to get down on yourself in times like these.

7. bewhour

Introducing myself

:grin: Hi, my name is Susan, and I'm a lesbian. I don't see any other members yet who are, but I still think this forum is a great idea and hopefully more will join and find a place to express and be themselves.
    I'm a divorced Mom of two boys, I have a wonderful partner (Tricia) and we couldn't be happier together. In fact April 22nd we are going to Canada to be married. I'm so thrilled and excited. Tricia and I have been together nearly 8 yrs. now, she is the love of my life. I live in Seattle and am a massage therapist, which is the most awesome job for me. I love making people feel good and getting paid for it is just amazing to me. I hope to get to know each of you better and look forward to whatever comes along. Oh, by the way...my youngest brother is also gay and he's just awesome. Two in one family, lol....my parents did something right:grin:
    hugs to all,
    bewhour

8. okstatecowboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there-

This is mike(y) checking in. I'm a (soon to be) 35 year old gay teacher in Kansas. I'll be popping in from time to time to post and offer suggestions -mainly on how to help in a school setting.

mikey

9. cowboy_wannabe

yay, more new people!

welcome to the forum, bewhour, nice to have you and congrats on the wedding! you'll have to tell us how it goes!

and another cowboy? can i say THANK GOD? :grin:.. teacher, too! i want to be a high school history teacher in the future so it's good to see someone who's "living the dream." what's it like?

10. cyberbry

Kingston, Ontario (originally from Toronto)
    I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon too. My name is Bryan, I'm a 21 year old university student from Canada (originally born in Toronto, now attending school in Kingston, Ontario).

I've been out since I was 17, but it's never really been a big deal for me. My high school had tons of out gay guys, so that's wasn't an issue, and my parents have a couple of gay couples as friends so they also took it pretty well.

So yeah, now I'm in my 3rd year of electrical engineering, happily in a relationship (of 1 1/2 years) with my awesome bf (we're moving in together in a month... can't wait).

Here's a picture or two of me for the curious:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's me in the middle of the second one, and that's my bf to my right.

That's me in a nutshell!

11. hawkeye

Hi!

Hello all!

12. hawkeye

woops

that last message was a bit of an accident, my return key just sent the message. But anyways, I am 16, and I live in Southeastern Wisconsin. My biggest hobby is electronics, but i also play the trombone. I think this in a great idea for a site!

13. blue_lotus

hi! i'm graham. i'm 14 and i live in north carolina. ummm... i'm a sophomore in high school... i actually enjoy school (most of the time) and i'm a big history buff. i like reading and just hanging out with my friends.
    maybe i'm a little farther along then some other people: my parents and my close friends already know... most of it by accident. anyways, just wanted to say hi!

14. Micah

Woah! So many new people, this is awesome. Welcome guys :grin:

15. okstatecowboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The cowboy comes from the fact I attended Oklahoma State University, home of the cowboys. I teach middle school math (pre-algebra and algebra).

What's it like? Hmm, some days it's a challenge, then other days it's great. Just like students have boring classes and ones they enjoy; teachers have it the same way. I love my algebra class and 2nd period pre-algebra kids. They're talkative and while math may not be their favorite subject, they at least pretend to like it. My "thug and slug" class is worse than having a root canal with no painkillers. They just sit there and stare into space -hello, anyone there... You're always gonna have that one person that drives you crazy (I'm sure there's someone in one or two of your classes that you wanna strangle). Most of the time, tho', it's a good experience.

The teachers in my building are cool. The majority of them know I'm gay and have no problems with it. Not sure if my new principal has figured it out or not. It's not something he and I have sat down and discussed. I'm just simply who I am, no secrets. I think my students have put 2 and 2 together and come up with 3 on me. They're always wanting to know if I'm dating someone, and if not, they have an older sister -and brother- they'll set me up with. I just politely smile and let them know that I can find my own dates.

History would be a cool subject to teach. I'd of course have to come dressed up as Lincoln, a soldier, or whatever historical figure we're studying at the moment.

mikey

16. cicero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 24, and a third-year law student in Washington DC (originally from Canada). I'm only out to my friends - wish there had been a site like this when I was younger :slight_smile:

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Welcome to all our new members, and thanks for dropping by. :smilewave :smilewave :smilewave

The guys who run this forum have been doing some work to publicise it, which is clearly working! :biggrin:

Paul.

18. Aaron

Aaron Guest

I'm Aaron, 19, live in Coquitlam (suburb of Vancouver), BC, Canada. I'm out of the closet and loving it. I work for Starbucks (yes, I know, capitalism at its best) and love it.

Sailing is my favourite thing to do. In fact, I plan on doing some next weekend, which is when the season starts for my local association. I'm a Green Instructor (which means I can certify basic levels) and have my Bronze Sail V (upper advanced sailing).

I'm in year one of college...with too many left to go. I want to transfer to SFU, but that will be a while. Right now, my goal is to be able to move to France after my Associate Degree is done, and everything I do is focused on that.

I was really glad to see this site had been started. It would've helped me while I was coming out, and I'm sure it will help those of you who are still struggling/confused/or whatever.

19. cowboy_wannabe

so many new people!! yayy!

nice to meet all of you! :slight_smile:

20. walkinghorse

Hello I am new here .......

Hi,
    I just found the group/blog. I would like to introduce myself. I am 50, white, male, masculine, gay, kind, tender, etc. I know many of the younger guys and gals have complaints on how they are treated, and they are very valid. I would like to share what it was like decades ago. Well, I won't go into a long perhaps boring story but when I was 16 - 20s, we were more than in the closet. Most of the guys I knew ended up getting married to women to prove they were not gay, or at least to get along in society. None of them turned straight. None of them were happy. Most of us even had a child or 2 which of course must mean you are not gay, right! crap huh? Oh, I wish I had it to do over again. Another thing is that there appears to be so much more support in terms of groups, meetings, internet sites, etc though I notice they are 99% aimed at teens and 20 something people. Us older guys are ignored a bit by both the gay community and the straight society.
    Anyway, I am glad to find this blog. If anyone wants to share stories, talk, or ask questions I am here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.