1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduce yourself

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by nisomer, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hi walkinghorse,

You are certainly welcome here. Although this forum is designed for younger people who are not served by adult gay forums (so no "over-18 only" content here etc), we welcome anyone who finds the discussions interesting and helpful.

You don't actually say whether you are now out or not. I came out at around 27, and although I wish sometimes I could have gone back and done it at 16. But on the other hand, if I had I would never have met my partner of 12 years.

I am 40, and I was 16 the age of consent here in the UK was 21 - which seemed a lifetime away. Being gay is more acceptable now than it was in our time. However we are still a LONG way away from total acceptance, and it varies widely between different countries and regions.

Although it may be a bit less difficult for people to come out today than it was for us, it certainly doesn't make it all that much easier. It may be a bit less horrible outside that closet, but it still doesn't look welcoming from the inside. Many of the issues we faced (and indeed still do face even when out) are the same, and everynody's individual circumstances are different.

This forum allows everyone to help each other by sharing experiences and advice - and there are no age limits on that!

Paul.

2. Soilwork

Hey guys;

Soilwork here. I'm Canadian but have recently moved to Hollywood and I work in what I'd better call the film industry for the purposes of this forum.

I ride a motorcycle, a Buell Lightning XB12, I have a dog named Halford and I'm a big fan of Metal.

I came out slowly... from the time I was about 14 until I was 19. My parents weren't extremely comfortable with it all, but they came around and are now very active membes of PFLAG... and I can't tell you how much that helped them. So much so that they now help others.

3. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello. I'm new, you might remember me from ### as daddiesboy19. :smilewave

4. Quasar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,

I'm David (like, there's a surprise!!) and I'm another one of the 'oldies' from the other site. I'm 39 and have been 'out' for the past 18 years. I work in the entertainment industry with many young people ranging from 8-24 years of age, and I'll be dropping by to see if there's any advice, opinions or news I can share with you guys.

If this develops the way the other site has, then this is going to be an invaluable caring community for young people and their families and friends to turn to.

5. desko

Hey all!
    My name's Jono, I'm 16 and I live in Victoria, Australia. I'm in year 11 at the moment, and i'm not out to anyone! (Randoms from the net don't count right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )
    Uhhh, i like webdesign, programming and all that computer stuff. I spend the rest of my time at school or with mates. Currently enjoying this MASSIVE 4 day weekend! Woooo!
    I'm from a smaller town in Victoria, and i have never seen or know of another gay person in this town :rolleyes:

Anyway, this forum is a cool idea. Nice to meet you all :wink:

Jono

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hi Jono,

Maybe we don't count as much as "real" people, but we are a good start. You are out to yourself too, so you are making progress! :icon_bigg

Welcome!

7. desko

Awww, I didn't mean to say that you weren't real people. :frowning2:

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hi Jono,

Don't worry - I knew what you meant. :icon_razz

The difference is that we are in a gay so aren't susprised when people here are gay. So you are out from day one here. This is obviously completely different to the people you know in person.

9. nisomer

Hey! Glad to see this topic worked out. Nice to meet all the new peeps :icon_wink

10. ahunt83

Hi ya,

I've posted on the other (18+) forum before but this one sounds more what i'm looking for. I'm 21 and live in England just north of London. I enjoy movies and driving arround in my car. I'd like to get into skiing as i have a strange feelnig that i'll love it even though i've never been near a slope.

I'm still in the closet and have only admitted i'm gay to myself in the last 6 months although i've probably known since i was 18.

Hope to talk to all of you more soon.

Andy

11. GenericSR

I am Crazy-Woohoo-Nuts... I mean Sebastien. Actually Sebastien's not my birth name but I was hoping ever so much that you'd call me that anyway.

I'm from the other site as well and while it is a good community as well (parts of it at least) it's nice to not be the young one on the board. I'm not all that old, though, only 19. Just so ya know, I'm actually bisexual and not completely gay. As for being out I'm only out to one person: my girlfriend (the one person who needs to know the most, really). My mom's convinced I'm gay (and unfortunately I think she has my brothers convinced as well) and my dad doesn't really show any interest what I am so I'll just let them think what they want to.

Anyway I'll be seeing you crazy chickens around then. :biggrin:

P.S. To whoever made this site: hehe... even the smilies selection has been underage-ified. Good work you guys. :thumbsup:

12. nisomer

hey ahunt83, are you anywhere near the anvil concert hall? cuz my school band just toured europe about a week ago and one of the places we played was at the anvil conert hall.

13. ahunt83

I had to look it up online as i'm not familier with the place, it's about an hour and a halfs drive away so not that far although ENgland's not that big a place. Can seem too small but does mean i can drive anywhere in a few hours.

What kind of music do you play in your school band mate?

14. nisomer

our school's band has about 400 students, and has 5 concert bands. we play mostly music that was written or arranged for concert/symphonic/wind band. we play pretty much all styles, from classical to modern. we also have 3 jazz bands, a pep band, a pit orchestra, and marching band. as u can probably tell, our school is big in music.

about 150 of us went on the Euro tour, we played in the Madaline church in Paris and the Anvil concert hall in England.

15. ahunt83

Sounds great mate, I take it schools are much bigger in the US? My high school only had jsut over 1000 people in it and no were near enough with musical talent for a band that big.

16. nisomer

well, im not sure about other places in the US, but i would say that here in the twin cities high schools have around 2000-3500 students...my school has about 2500

17. imnotgay

hi everyone! im not gay... hehe.... literally! although sometimes i wonder... :icon_twis anyway, i AM bi, but im not out to anyone.. at all. i dont intend come out either, so i hope this place can provide some release for me :icon_wink

18. goratrix

Well, I don't like to give out my name online... I know it's stupid and that anyone with a brain can track my IP adress down and start back from there, but those are not the people I'm worried about.

Well, that said I'm Goratrix, or so you will find me in any gay-related site. Perhaps goratrixhole (you know, sometimes the nick is taken).

I'm 18 (almost 19) and gay. Still in the closet to the world except one person (two if you count me) and the ### and EC cominities, of course ;-)

I like reading, particularly sci-fi books, but I also enjoy pretty much everything there is to read out there. I'm a Vampire, WOD, Werwolf: the apocalypse, WW: teh forsaken Storyteller, and a D&D Dungeon Master (I know it sounds sexual, it isn't!) I really like RPGs... so that's most of my life. Also, I'm a TAU general (Warhammer 40000).

About music, I like voltarie, Eagles, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, some local groups you probably won't know like Seru Giran, Sui Generis, Vox Dei. And some metal groups like metallica, megadeath, nightwish, katatonia...

And oh, yeah! I'm a big freaking nerd! I am a linux system administrator, and I'm studying computing ingeneering.

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I wouldn't totally rule it out, although now may not be the time. Maybe in the future you will start at a new school/college or job with completely new people who don't know you, and you can let them know the real you from day one.

Anyway, you've come out to everyone here (although since most of us are gay or bi anyway I guess that's rather easier). Welcome!

20. goratrix

I agree with Paul. I used to think I would never come out. Now, life has led me to the point where it was a life or death choice. I really couldn't take it any more, and sice I can't kill myself, it would devastate all those who supported me through most of my life's roughest moments; I had to choose life. And I'm glad I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.