1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get over someone you were never with?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by starmotive, Dec 31, 2017.

1. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have unrequited feelings for my friend. When I spend time with them I find myself wishing we could be something more. Later I feel gutted, physically exhausted and mentally drained. It's so painful and depressing to keep on going like this. I don't know what to do anymore...

2. JoeyCarter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I know exactly how you feel as I am going through the same thing but from what I felt worked, just try to spend time away from them. If they keep texting you, turn your phone off and go for a hike with some friends or go do something new with your family/friends. Erase them from your mind for a day.

Kronux likes this.
  3. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is they're my best friend. All the other people that I've asked have said pretty much the same thing as you, that I need to spend time away from them. But how do you spend time away from your best friend?? I don't want to unfriend them or to cut them out of my life, but it's gotten to the point where they're all I can think about and it makes me really sad knowing that they don't like me back. Should I tell them I need some time apart? How do you even bring something like that up?

4. Starlight123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Starmotive I am in the exact same position. I told her exactly how I felt maybe a year ago and she really didn't believe me until maybe a month ago. I told her I wanted space. I thought we were cool with that but she has made it clear she is not happy with me about my decision. I asked her what she expects from me. You reject me and expect me to be the same. It's not possible. According to her it's not a rejection because she didn't say no to us but our circumstance won't allow us to be together. I told her I don't buy that story. I wished her all the best and we haven't spoken in a bit. I think about her every day but I need to be mentally strong and so I refuse to contact her. She is my best friend and it's hard but I have to find a way to move on and the only way is to purge her from my system. You have to do the same.

starmotive likes this.
  5. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did you go about asking her for space? My friend says we're okay, and we do seem okay, nothing's different really, but I'm struggling with how I feel about her. It's been a few months since I told her and while she seems to understand that I'm not doing well, it's as if she'd rather ignore my feelings and keep going on with our friendship as is, whereas I really want to talk it out with her but I don't feel like it's possible. I'm nervous to ask her for space because what if our friendship is never the same after?

6. Starlight123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Starmotive this sounds exactly like me. My friend was ok with me telling her I had feelings for her too however she didn't really seem to take them seriously and that really upset me. She would proceed to tell me about her boyfriend which was like a knife going through my heart over and over. I finally had it and we fought about her not taking my feelings seriously. She told me that she heard what I was saying but couldn't actually believe it because she just can't believe it because we have been friends for so long. It didn't feel real to her and she was content to just carry on with how we were in the meantime a little piece of me was dying inside every day.
    I never wanted space. I never wanted to be apart from her but I had to start considering my own feelings because it was clear I was putting her feelings above mine and it was literally killing me. one day we were talking about my feelings and I told her I need space. I said it clearly and explained why. She told me she understood and should take the time I needed. I later found out she didn't mean what she said because we had a big fight over it apparently she was upset by me staying away. We spoke about it again and I just told her that I need to remove myself from our situation because it's not healthy for me and if it's not healthy for me it's not healthy for our friendship.
    She has contacted me several times since I have cut off contact with her and in an effort to not be an a-hole I have responded but the convo always went further than I wanted it to. She has told me that she misses me and thinks about me alot.

7. Starlight123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Our most recent discussion was me telling her what her rejection has done to me. To which she responded I shouldn't see it as rejection. I asked her what should I see it as then. She said it's not like we are both unattached and I approached her and she said no way. But this does nothing for me. I guess I'm more interested in knowing how she feels about me. I have no intention of breaking up her relationship but I want to know that I am not the only one who feels this crazy connection we have. I know she feels it too. There is no way she can't and I want her to confirm it.

8. Starlight123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I keep getting more thoughts. Obviously the friendship with my friend is different now but in my opinion in a good way. She had all the control before because she knew how I felt about her and would do anything for her. Clearly now we speak less and have less significant conversations but I feel like I am more in control. Thing is though she is the one making contact every time. I never initiate. I know she is missing me which is nice to know but u have to take back some of the control and move on with your life. My friend like yours was all too willing to ignore that this was a problem for me. She would behave like I didn't just admit everything to her. The burden I was carrying was so heavy and she behaved like it was nothing at all. Unburden yourself and move on. Trust me you will thank yourself later. It will be hard at first. I'm still struggling. But it will be well worth it to move on. If ur friendship is deep and real you will get back to where you were

9. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @lovestruck I totally get what you mean. Thankfully? for me my friend hasn't expressed interest in anyone, but I don't know how I would react if she did... I feel like my friend would rather avoid any discussions of feelings (any kind of feelings, not just me liking her) but how is this going to solve anything?

I am also aware that I put her feelings before mine, which is probably why I am very hesitant to talk to her about this because I know it's something she doesn't want. But I have put her priorities before mine time after time but she doesn't do the same for me. I've talked to her about this and she said she would make an effort to make me feel less ignored, but it hasn't changed anything. But this just goes to show that I care more about her than she does about me. I'm always the one to say I miss her and she doesn't even always say it back. I know she turns to me when she wants to talk about stuff, but it makes me wonder how important I really am to her if she doesn't even miss me you know?

I don't know the reason why she doesn't like me, but sometimes I wonder whether it would help me get over her. From what you've said, distance is probably the best thing for me right now, I'm just really scared to ask for space...

10. Starlight123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah. I always felt like I was doing most of the work too. I had difficulty asking for space too. I was scared too. Scared of how it would change things between us. Believe me things are way different now but I feel like I have gained more control of myself and the situation. It's like I told her and I think she appreciated more than anything else I said, I told her I wasn't running away from her but running towards myself.

11. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I really like that. It's really poetic. Do you feel like you asking for space damaged your friendship or changed it for the worse?

12. JoeyCarter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ok so the same thing happened to me but it could be different because I’m my situation, we are both boys so the reactions could be different. I know how you feel because the guy I liked was constantly on my mind and at the time I was struggling, he was my only true friend so it was hard to go to anyone. What I’m trying to say is that if you let her control your emotions so much, it’s going to drive you crazy. You don’t necessarily have to cut her off but to just not be around her so much. It may be hard if you don’t know how she feels, then just sit her down and ask her personally and let her know first that it won’t affect your relationship with her and it’s stays with you two only. Make her feel comfortable answering and If she answers no, then it will give you the clarity to be able to spend a little space apart

13. Starlight123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's a really good question. Thing is it definitely has changed. To me it feels like we are more on an even playing ground now. We don't talk like we did before. She was the first person I spoke to when I got up and the last one before I went to bed. We spoke about everything under the sun. We speak less but the quality of our convos are always there and it's because we are great friends. I've told her that we will always be friends and I love her to death. When we fight I tell her at the end that I love her and she tells me the same. I terms of speaking every day and knowing everything about each other that is gone but when something really important happens she is there and I am there. We know we are real friends and nothing will change that. I just had to have space for my own sanity

14. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's pretty much the same thing for me. I know she doesn't feel the same way, but I don't know the reason why. It didn't really bother me before, but now that I think about it maybe knowing why she doesn't like me may help me get over her? Either way I think spending some time apart will help. I just don't feel all that comfortable asking my best friend for space, you know?

15. JoeyCarter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Y
    yea I totally get it. One question though? Is the reason she doesn’t like you due to her sexuality?

16. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay that's reassuring to know. Is telling friends that you love them a thing that people actually do? Because I have friends that say 'love you' in the friend way and nothing's weird or anything, but I've always avoided it with certain friends, which includes the best friend I have a crush on, just because it always felt too intimate, and she's not too much of a sentimental person. Like the other day something important came up and I wanted her to know that I love her no matter what so I said f it and I told her I love her, but even then it was kind of awkward?

17. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly it's kind of unclear? She's mentioned possibly being into girls, possible being ace, but as far as I know she's still questioning.

Her answer to me telling her I like her was something along the lines of she's flattered but doesn't know how she feels romantically and her answer to going on a date with me was no because she didn't want to lead me on. I might be turning a blind eye to something, but to me none of that is really indicative of a reason why she said no? The only thing I got is that she doesn't like me like that lol

#17 starmotive, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  18. JoeyCarter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey, my phone is about to die but please feel free to direct message me and maybe it will be easier if you, lovestruck, and I have a group chat instead of just responding one by one so we can find a good resolution to this

19. JoeyCarter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I will respond as soon as I can but my phone is going to die

20. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I don't think we can dm since we're all just regular members? but yeah I'd love to talk about this some more if you guys don't mind

#20 starmotive, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017