1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I actually gender dysphoric or just sexual urges?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Danielle1, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think my family is probably (?) supportive but the possibility it of rejection and shame might be to great to come out to them now

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed.

You have to pay for it all fully. I luckily get free therapy and going to the doctor's is free here, but the gender confirming procedures are all aesthetic procedures, so it won't be covered. Also you need to pay for the committee and there are waiting times, if you wish to get on hormones (you pay for them fully), if you wish to change your name you pay, if you have a good reason, then you can bypass the committee. There are multiple committee visits and each are years long.

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hugs. You can always talk to us and vent here. You will get there, but you know baby steps.

4. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yeah hugs to you too <3
    I will continue to vent here but I think I should spend less time on it. I just feel a constant battle going on in my mind and talking about them- while it does help with it- sometimes makes me think about stuff to much. It puts me in some very negative (and also very positive) moods. Simply put, the more I think about it, the more emotional distress I tend to feel.

5. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, pretty much similar to Latvia. Add to it that you must have a (somehow) proven one year experience of living as a chosen gender - which is one of the things that might stop many who would seek transitioning; basically it means to subject oneself to discrimination, unemployment and possibly violence, just to be able to access gender affirming care. I get the idea about the year experience, but in this country, it's just plain dangerous to attempt it. And to change gender legally, there is only one requirement - surgical sterilisation. But, well, there's only two comittees to attend.

There might come a time when you'll feel that it's something you should do... But it's not like you have an obligation to come out to anybody. Just take it at your own pace, being trans is already hard enough as it is.

6. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take your time okay, otherwise you will overwhelm yourself.

Keller likes this.
  7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh we also need to have had a psychiatrist diagnosis and known about being trans for at least 2 years. I got this covered. I do have psychiatrist transsexualism diagnosis.

Keller likes this.
  8. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sexual urges and thoughts are just a physical manifestation of a biological need. Not wanting to feel them is unlikely to be something that’s achievable, it’s like not wanting to ever feel thirst or tiredness. Some people get a lot of satisfaction from resisting temptation (all sorts of religious folk) but it’s not for me. The body is built for experiencing pleasure and the brain is wired for needing it and chemically rewards you for achieving it.

I’m not sure if it’s something you’ve thought about but university is the ideal place for experimenting with other people. Gender issues are not something I’ve ever experienced but I feel like I avoided a whole load of questioning/denial/repression of my sexuality by jumping in at the deep end with a same-sex relationship before I’d ever had a moment to consider those thoughts (assuming I am genuinely bisexual and my attraction to women isn’t a learnt behaviour). You have to wonder whether all the internal stuff you’re going through is helping you discover who you are or not. Trying something is a way better way of discovering whether you like it compared to just thinking about it. Something to think about.

9. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    In a very strange turn of events I’ve somehow ended up booking a therapy appointment. It’s been a crazy last six hours but I guess I can finally go to therapy.
    Also the stuff people said about the UK having long wait times is kinda false. I have gotten an appointment in a few days time :slight_smile:

chicodeoro, Keller and Rayland like this.
  10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's brilliant, Danielle! See - you can do it!

Do let us know how you get on. Here's hoping you find it beneficial - I know I wouldn't have made it this far without regular therapy to sort out everything in my head.

Beth x

Danielle1 likes this.