1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I actually gender dysphoric or just sexual urges?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Danielle1, Sep 14, 2023.

1. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that’s called ‘being 18’. Unless you’ve got someone else to do it for you, you’re going to get those urges…. I don’t think that satisfying them is any worse than leaving them unsatisfied.

2. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The reason I don’t like them is because I wish I just didn’t have them. In an ideal world for me, I just have people I love with no sexuality involved. I feel like it’s the cause of a lot of my problems and if I didn’t have sexual urges, I’d feel considerably better about myself. Unfortunately, the only solution without medication is repression. And if I don’t repress it I feel insane amounts of guilt like I did yesterday.

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry I haven't had time to read through it all, but I did some and leaving my thoughts below, so maybe it helps somehow.

Gender dysphoria, the experience of distress when your assigned gender does not match your experience of yourself, can make the complexities of navigating sex, pleasure and connection exponentially more challenging. Dysphoria can impact sex in a number of ways, including your own image of yourself as a sexual being, your understanding of what your wants and needs are, and the ways in which others treat you. One of the most important things to know about gender dysphoria is that it can vary in intensity from person to person. Some people may feel very intense dysphoria about much of their body, while others may only feel a small amount of dysphoria or none at all. Transgender people can feel dysphoric about any part of their bodies. Just like dysphoria varies from person-to-person, what a person feels dysphoric about can change between sexual encounters, or even during a single encounter. Dysphoria can make you rethink the ways in which you experience pleasure. To figure out what feels safe and good for you, the best place to start is with yourself. It might be important to get some support in healing from a therapist, as well as doing personal work and experiment. Having these sexual urges and desires doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with you. Still, if your sexual fantasies or behavior affect your daily activities or cause harm to others, then it might be good to try and reach out to therapist. If you cross-dress because it’s sexually exciting, you’re not alone. There are many others who do and it's okay.

chicodeoro and Keller like this.
  4. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thank you for replying <3
    The part you said about how gender dysphoric people have different intensities in the dysphoria helps me a lot. I’ve got this stereotypical image of having to be 24/7 questioning your gender so realising I can be less dysphoric than this stereotype is nice to hear.

When you say the best place to start is myself, what do you mean? I don’t know what to think. There isn’t some calculation to solve whether I’m gender dysphoric or not. I guess going to a therapist would help but I’m just too nervous and ashamed too. As I said in the first message, one of my biggest fears is that I go to therapist -> tell them about my gender feelings -> tell them about my fetish -> they deny me from ever transitioning. That’s why I feel so bad about the fetish and want to repress it.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pretty much mean the masturbation and making yourself feel good. It can help figuring yourself out. It's experimenting. I've done it since I was very little. At first I actually thought it might be something to do with my sexual urges too and I think there is. I think about me being dominated as a man by another man a lot. It's nothing to be ashamed for. Though I can see how it's scary and nerve wracking to tell about it to therapist. I haven't talked about it either. I just try to embrace this side and rise my self confidence. Having fetish is nothing strange. It's normal. I have them too. We are sexual beings after all.

6. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I’m fine with fetishes as a concept, in fact it I think they are quite healthy (I have others too that I’m fine with and embrace). However the crossdressing fetish is what makes me hate it. The thought of not getting a gender dysphoria diagnosis because of it is what makes me despise it and make me wish I didn’t have any sexuality at all.

7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see. I try not to see gender on clothing. The most important is what you feel inside and not the fact that you crossdress. Why wouldn't you get a gender dysphoria diagnosis because of it? Sexuality and gender are different things.

8. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    On the inside I definitely prefer being treated like a woman. The reason I don’t think I would get a diagnosis is this flowchart:
    I talk to therapist and tell them about my inner identity -> I mention how I get sexually aroused by It (even if I don’t want it) -> they say that I’m being controlled by my sexual desires -> therefore I’m not GD -> can legally not transition without diagnosis in England

9. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    According to DSM-V, which AFAIK is the standard for mental health professionals around the world:
    The therapist will probably need to test for some issues that could lead to symptoms similar to gender dysphoria, like transvestic disorder, but...
    ... and that doesn't seem to be your case.

Rayland likes this.
  10. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So basically as long as ones inner identity doesn’t match there own, the fetishes don’t really matter?

Rayland likes this.
  11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Keller gave you some good info, so I don't think there will be a problem getting a diagnosis :slight_smile:

12. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes.

Keller likes this.
  13. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This definitely makes me feel less bad about the fetish, however it raises the question about my own inner identity. I much prefer being called the feminine and also being around woman which suggests female identity. However there is a voice in my head that keeps saying I don’t prefer a female identity. I don’t know why it is. My mind can never be 100% on my preference for female identity. I think the only good solution to this is therapy (which I think I need) but I run into the same roadblocks I mentioned earlier in this thread. Too much social anxiety on asking for help.

14. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...at least according to DSM-V.
    I'm not sure how the decision-making process happens in the UK in such matters, but it certainly would help to find a medical care provider who is known to be LGBTQ-friendly and preferably has experience in LGBTQ-specific issues - that would also lessen the risk of being turned down for wrong reasons.

Rayland likes this.
  15. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe we can help with that anxiety. Maybe if you could find lgbt+ friendly therapist, then you are more braver to talk about it to someone, though I know finding a good therapist in England is it's own process.

16. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am slowly thinking more and more that moving away from my parents house will make me feel a lot less anxiety about seeing a therapist. Maybe I should work towards that

Rayland and Keller like this.
  17. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard some talk about in the Estonian lgbt+ community how it's a long process in England. Even for us Estonians it's long. My committee time is in the year 2024, but others time can go even longer. Some have it in 2026 and so on. So waiting time is years and years long.

Keller likes this.
  18. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pretty much kept it a secret from my parents at first and later told them.

19. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have reasons to suspect they won't be supportive, yes, that might make things easier.

That's pretty crazy. How it goes in Estonia, does it count towards medical services paid from taxes or you also need to pay for it in full?

20. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thats sounds like the best solution. But for now, I have to just live with constant doubting thoughts, a lot of social anxiety and other personal problems. I guess I can engage in self-pity like this post is.