1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single life in 2017

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OED27x, Aug 19, 2017.

1. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, it doesn't matter I supposed but it is confusing for me. I try and try with men and I have a lot of romantic notions about those relationships. Find a lot about men attractive. But I'm not emotionally or physically satisfied with men. I have identified as bi for as long as I can remember. But I do think my pull and longing to be with a woman is stronger now that I'm older. In so many ways.

So - as for you all interested in how I rock my sexy look and my Sunday look: honestly I've always been a jeans and tee shirt gal. But I love my long hair, makeup and jewelry. I like to lotion up and it makes me feel good - and smell good! But, at heart I'm a huge Tom boy. I love all sports, playing catch, hiking, fishing. Most days of the week I put my hair up under a baseball hat and go. I call it my Sunday look bc that's the day when I'm out and about running errands or hiking, or lounging. And I figure if you don't like me like that, then you are just not going to like me. ;-)

RJay likes this.
  2. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a similar place. I have identified as bi for many years and have been fine in relationships with men, even with emotional and physical satisfaction, depending on the relationship. However, now that I'm out of a long term relationship - I'm so drawn toward women. I can still find men attractive and I might be interested in playing with men, but oh! I crave a relationship - physical, emotional, intellectual - with a woman. It's almost like a - hunger, a real need. I totally get it.

And I bet you rock both looks with ease! Put yourself out there as you are and if someone doesn't like it, their loss!

OED27x likes this.
  3. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if y'all can believe this, I am STILL texting this woman. I told her just the other day though that we were just friends bc she has a partner! And, the conversation has turned from flirtatious to just a get to know you, what's your favorite animal, what are you having for dinner thing. It's like a pen pal. It just so happens that we both are women who like women. In fact, I've told her all about my trigger crush, she's told me about the women in her life and her struggles with coming out. Her shame and fear of being gay, until she met her partner.

My trigger crush by the way has texted me about this week bc she's had a rough week. We texted today about how life is scary, etc. And we are still friends - through it all, we have remained friends. (Backstory is: I fell for her, we were intimate, both of our marriages fell apart - due to that plus other reasons within our respective relationships- and we both got separated, I fully came out to her and told her I loved her, she said we were just friends, we didn't talk for a few months, I said I wanted to rebuild our friendship bc it meant so much, 2 weeks ago we had dinner and she said she knows there could be something there between us but she doesn't know and she is not in the place to look at it, I texted her a couple days later and told her how much I appreciated her openness and honesty and everyone needs to go at their own pace and I'm glad to be her friend).

And finally, my guy friend (that likes me so much and then I was intimate with him in a moment of weakness but just ended up crying) is 100% in the friend zone. I am now on a buddy level with him.

And finally, finally, my ex just came over to pick up some things and, let me tell you, separation gives you a ton of clarity. That's all I can say about that. Sometimes a step back is exactly what you need to heal.

azzi, RJay and idsm like this.
  4. Really

Kudos! All good stuff. :slight_smile:

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like great progress.

6. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I am having a rough time. Today I just realized what an effing hard path I am on. I think all the time about something heard in therapy (from a non LGBT therapist). When I told my therapist I had fallen in love with a woman and cheated on my husband, he said basically female sexual fluidity was the trend these days. Wtf?!? NO. The last thing I am doing is making myself more trendy or popular. Right, because femme lesbians who come out at 40 with 2 kids (that I now see 50% of the time) are just following Cosmo or 'confused'. No! This is who I am and it is effing hard! I WISH I could be sexually and emotionally fulfilled by a man - but after years of trying I have to admit it's not working for me. In fact I don't think I've ever felt fully emotionally to a man in the way I desire to be or physically fulfilled in the way I desire to be. Only female encounters have come close and those have been so few and far between.

And the hope of having another encounter seems impossible. I am femme which seems invisible in the lesbian world. I desire emotional connection, not just sex. Honestly all the women that give me vibes are married to men - and haven't left their heteronormative lives.

My trigger crush is in my social circle so I see her but admittedly not as often. And in trying to disengage even though I want to engage. Bc she told me there COULD be something there but she is not ready and may NEVER be ready to look at what happened between us. What is that supposed to mean? Whatever it means I respect that she told me and am giving her lots of space.

And finally, my husband just can't stand me. Has asked that we move up our divorce date to as soon as possible, which is fine. It's just a shock I guess.

#46 OED27x, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  7. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my dear. First of all, FUCK that therapist. Just like a fucking man to say that. I'm sorry, but that makes me absolutely livid. I hope you have a better therapist now.

2nd of all, I know how hard it must be for you. I apparently "look gay" whatever that means, but being attracted to femme women means I still have my work cut out for me. Granted, I haven't tested the waters too much yet, but I can only imagine that femme/femme relationships are even harder to find.

Divorcing, splitting custody, all that is SO SO SO hard. I'm living it too. Nobody does it on a whim. Hang in there, please!

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww OED27x, I'm so sorry you are having a rough time. Have some EC hugs, not much I know.

I'm really sorry for what your therapist said, I hope you know that is utter BS. I assume you have changed therapists. It is a hard path there is no getting away from that but sometimes the hardest things bring the greatest rewards.

I'm sorry I don't have any amazing words of wisedom for you but please know we are all here for you whenever you need us. Things will get better.

OED27x likes this.
  9. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. I've just had a couple of hard days.

I know some of this is on account of my ex, some on account of my trigger crush. I want very badly to leave my feelings for her behind. To simply be a good friend. We don't see each other often and we don't text a lot anymore. And I miss that. I can see she has withheld emotionally some, as have I. And it seems we are just normalizing into a general friendship. Not even a close friendship. And that may be the best thing.

And, yes, I do think finding other femme lesbians is hard. I have texted one woman I met online. We still text, platonically. But all in all, I don't think online dating is for me. I don't even know that I'm ready to date.

Mabel and RJay like this.
  10. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My therapist told me that lesbians come in all forms - we just notice the women who are more obvious and don't see the women who could pass as straight.

I have recently started seeing a woman in a similar situation to myself. Both of us would pass as straight. She has worried that she is not feminine enough for me as I am basically femme in presentation. She has even used the word "butch" to describe herself, but, if anything, is a feminine tomboy...
    The point is neither of us want to change our appearance to fit a stereotype. We are not unhappy with the way we dress and, since we are mothers, we don't want to draw attention to ourselves - for the sake of our children. I cannot believe that we are unique. Indeed, my therapist assured me that there are many untold stories - of women who come out after marriage and end up with women.

dreamingfreely and rosemarythyme like this.
  11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Peterpangirl is right we come in all forms and all shapes and sizes, it's just when you are walking down the street it's easier to notice the butch ones, unless they are holding another girls hand. If you want to appear more gay then you could get a piece of rainbow jewellery or something so people have more chance of picking you out of the crowd. I think dating is tough regardless of whether you are butch, femme or somewhere in between, are there any LGBT groups near you @OED27x?

12. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This has to be so tough. It really would almost be easier if she had said, 'what happened between us is in the past and there can NEVER be anything like that between us again, we will only ever be friends.'

But the 'there COULD be something but I am not ready to look at it and might not ever be....' Ummm...what DOES this even mean? Does this mean I might be ready to look at this next week or I might be able to look at this when I'm 70? Or, does it mean, I can't ever look at this because it stirs up all kinds of feelings I can't/don't want to face?

IDK, the there 'COULD be something' just seems to leave a door cracked open. And that's hard! But the good thing here is that you do seem to be open to new relationships, you are not getting wrapped up with your trigger crushes stuff, or with her very vague timetable about when she can 'look at things.'

I do agree though, I'm very feminine and finding other femme lesbians is really hard! Do you remember that Seinfeld episode where the suggestion was made that everyone in the city should wear nametags so everyone would get to know each other? Haha!

But actually maybe Seinfeld was on to something... these nametags could be very helpful; and lesbians names could be written in rainbow colors. Problem solved, everyone is easily identifiable! At least then I would even know who to muster up the courage to to even approach!

Hang in there OED!

RJay likes this.
  13. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a little late to this thread so bear with me here:

I have had this thought about my partner since we met in college, and I really never understood why. It was just something I accepted even if he never gave me a reason to fully suspect it. Now, I am beginning to understand that it was just another way I hid from myself. It's a lot like how I once feared that certain clothes would make me "look gay." Seriously...

This is me too right down to one former relationship taking advantage of this trait. I am still trying to figure out why I allow myself to accept this and not assert my opinions, but again I think it all falls back on the need to accept myself first.

And finally, are you f-ing serious?! Yes, we are all trying to be in vogue. I'm glad that's why we all get on here day after day and pour our hearts out to strangers in the hopes that just venting will ease some of the pain. I am so flipping glad that we are trendy counselors helping each other work through these feelings of hurt and confusion and pain. I am so glad that we are the "hot choice" in sexuality this season. Because Lord knows that's how this works... What a jackass.

14. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a bad day yesterday too. I'm so sorry, some days this shit is overwhelming and there are just no words, really. Except, that therapist sucks and def needs a review written in Healthgrades or something! Your trigger person needs some integrity and a willillingness to understand how she affects others. Mr husband is just being a jerk, none of this is easy, not for him or you.

Big hugs! Thinking of you!

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hugs for you too.

16. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Mabel, sorry you had a bad day too.

It's comforting to know we are all here for each other.

@peterpan, I do very much agree that lesbians come in all shapes and sizes and I know (we all know) that gay and bi women don't fit heteronormative society's prescribed mold for what a gay woman should look like.

17. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also I texted my former crush last night. She always tells me she is a safe place to vent about stuff, but I know it's playing with fire for me. I want to move on.

dreamingfreely and Mabel like this.
  18. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is, I'm very grateful for finding this space, I've needed it.

Hugs and hopes for a better day!

dreamingfreely, NeonSocks and OED27x like this.
  19. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Adventures in Gay Land:

1) today at the coffee shop several waitresses were creating and taking pics of a latte with rainbow sprinkles for Pride, which is coming up in a couple weeks. The photo was going to be in a magazine for the coffee shop's support of Pride. That weekend also happens to be the shop's anniversary. I wanted to shout, 'I'd drink that latte!!!', but I didn't have the nerve.

2) I came out to my hairstylist. She's been listening to my saga about my marital woes for a year now. Decided to go a little deeper. She was totally cool with it - in fact, I think down right down with it!

#59 OED27x, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    dreamingfreely likes this.
  20. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, a hairstylist is an important ally. That's a really good step!

OED27x likes this.