1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does dysphoria feel like for you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it feels like if I could switch bodies with any female in the world I WOULD. My physical appearance is not what I want, and my social is pretty much female; with a small dash of male. Also, in my opinion this is great, I have the height of about 90% of the girls in my school.

2. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

^ Yeah, I would definitely switch heights with someone. I kinda like my face, though, it's pretty androgynous save for my mouth and eyelashes :grin:

3. lizardman

I very much feel the same way when I feel like a guy (my gender fluctuates, you see). Sometimes I hate my breasts (despite the fact that they're not even very big, I still hate them). I hate how small my waist is, and how large my hips are in comparison. My feminine features sometimes make me feel very vulnerable, like people are looking down on me. I'm also really short, which doesn't help.

4. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

YES YOU TOO! I would wrap my arms around my waist and be like "Huh something's missing here"…. It's not like I want to gain weight or anything. It's just that my body SHAPE is wrong. Now I finally get why I feel that way :grin:

At the same time, though, I'm somewhat vain about my waist. I get that I've got a "conventionally attractive" build - very slim and petite…. but whenever I wear things that enhance that: hi dysphoria! :smilewave

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2014 at 07:49 PM ----------

I feel ya on the shortness thing - and for a long time, I was conscious of my baby face and snub nose. However, over the last six months, my facial features have undergone a drastic change: I've now got thin cheeks, a Roman nose, a square jaw, and impressively beetling eyebrows. :eusa_danc

5. lizardman

Honestly, I don't like wearing anything that accentuates any of my features. When I dress like a girl, I do so in a more innocent way, more like that of a little girl than a full blown woman. I don't want to look "sexy." The only way I could truly feel "sexy" was if I had the body of a male, but not a full on macho-man. More like that of an adolescent boy that still has remnants of femininity, but is still distinctively male.

6. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I don't have a lot of bottom Dysphoria, but I have bad chest Dysphoria. Luckily I have a binder though. I used to feel very Dysphoric when I got periods, but now that I'm on blockers I don't have them anymore. Also I'm very self concious of my height (4'11) :frowning2:

7. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pronouns! *sigh* To add more fun, my native language makes difference between men and women not only with pronouns, but with verbs in past tense and adjectives, too. :bang: So when I´m telling a story that involves me, or even when I want to share how I feel or describe what I am wearing, I get into troubles.

Argh.

8. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's see... for me, dysphoria goes back a long time, waaaaay before I knew I was trans* (of course, I was raised in a very transphobic environment, so I had no way of understanding it or knowing what it was back then). But from the time that I was ten or eleven, I wanted the extra fat on my butt gone. I would seriously daydream about having a doctor just cut off that extra fat. I didn't realise until a lot later that that was probably because I didn't want the feminine body shape that that brought.

I also hate my chest, with a passion. I've started calling the unnatural growths there the "monstrosities", lol. I don't really like having wide, feminine hips either. Or tiny hands. Or being ridiculously skinny and short. I also have very feminine facial features (although apparently less so now that I have short hair), and that bothers me. Oh, and my shoulders! They're not shaped right, at least if you ask me. Oh, and my voice is really high pitched and girly, so I hate it, even though I've been told that I have the voice of an angel. And I do have bottom dysphoria sometimes as well, which is getting worse, but it's not as bad as the rest of it.

I also don't like being told that I'm a woman, or being seen that way, and I really hate it when people expect me to act like a woman. For example, at work, one of my coworkers absolutely loves pink, and dresses, and makeup, and who-knows-what-else, and she teased me about it until I finally just told her that I "might as well be a guy in a girl's body". Er... not ideal for staying in the closet at work. I think she's starting to pick up on my gender identity, without really understanding that I'm trans*. I mean, she assumed that I must have been the one a customer talked to when the customer assumed they had talked to a guy. And then asked if I even knew how to do makeup when we were going out to this country dancing thing. And today she said that I'm the "opposite of feminine", lol, and was shocked when I showed her pics of me before I cut my hair. First words out of her mouth: "You looked like a girl!" (Not going to lie, that made me feel a little bit better). But I still get female pronouns, and am generally assumed to be female, so that bothers me.

Also, maybe this is weird, but long hair bothers me. I don't mind it on other people, but on me... just no. It feels unnatural, as does wearing makeup and/or dresses/skirts. I feel like a crossdresser when I do makeup. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but it gives me dysphoria, and I'm sure that one day someone is going to notice that I feel like a guy dressed in drag.

And another weird thing... old pictures of me, when I still actually tried to look like a girl/didn't know I was trans*, really bother me. I can't connect myself with those pictures, if that makes sense. So then I end up staring at the pictures wondering "how did that girl turn into this"?

Sorry, probably rambling a lot, lol. Those are just the things that bother me with dysphoria.

9. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Oh no that's exactly how I dress when I cross-dress. I'm a very conservative person, both sartorially and morally, so - save for two skorts - all of my dresses and skirts hit my knees. I also wear high-necked shirts (low-necked kinda give me dysphoria).

My mom is disappointed because I've pretty much stopped dressing in a cute, girly fashion; I did so because I realized that the only reason I was doing it was to get people to think I'm pretty, and therefore not think I was weird. When I switched to my current masculine style, I felt so much better - and my friends noticed the change in my confidence level (!)

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2014 at 09:41 AM ----------

Yeah, long hair has been one of my huge dysphoric points. I keep it chin-length, but my mom usually won't let me cut it shorter :icon_sad: My voice, a little - I'm naturally a tenor, so that kinda helps. Height - oh yeah. And like you, I HATED (still hate) my hips/bottom, but didn't know why (I've got a rather androgynous photo). Yeah I get the photo thing, too :confused: I'd see all these photos of me in poofy dresses and be like "Who the hell was THAT kid?"

It's funny - when I first realized that I was trans*, I started identifying as gay…. despite having never felt physical attraction toward another guy, ever. I think it was a sort of safety blanket for me - like "my friends won't mind if I'm a guy so long as I like the same sex as they do, right?!" But then I realized that I was lying to myself, and began to identify as straight. (And they're cool with it :grin:) But yeah, I think part of the reason that I used to dress in an uber-girly fashion sometimes was because I was trying to make myself attractive…. to GIRLS. (Now I realize that I'd much rather see the pretty dresses on them rather than on myself :icon_wink)

10. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me it's my chest. Even though I do have relatively small breasts, I'll regularly have moods where it just feels wrong to even have that small amount of volume on my chest. I just feel like they should be flat, and that I should be wearing unisex shirts rather than feminine.

11. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Does anyone else feel like puking sometimes when they contact their breasts? (Transmen, of course - I'm sure y'all girls don't exactly mind having them)

12. lizardman

No, but as I said, my beasts are AA cup sized or smaller. If they were bigger, they would bother me more.

13. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do. I cannot actually describe the feeling - it is disgust together with something more metaphysical. I have troubles to believe that this really is MY chest... I feel this is terribly, terribly wrong.

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I hate having long hair. I try to keep it pretty short, but my hair grows fast and I can't afford to get it cut all the time. Plus it's very thick and wavy so it frizzes out and looks longer than it is.

I hate having stuff touch my chest too, it makes me really uncomfortable

15. lizardman

The thing about the hair is so true for me. I'm trying to at least save up for a short wig.

16. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Mine are too, but I still feel like vomiting. Sometimes I take off my shirt/bra (gahhhh I can barely even say the word - maybe cuz of dysphoria? Idk) and lie down and just pretend that the flat part of my chest extends all through, and that the two.... things there are not part of me. It feels so nice....

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2014 at 05:09 PM ----------

YES. When I was an adolescent and something would brush against my chest, I'd get this FEELING after a while. Like I should be INTENSELY ashamed of something, but I didn't know exactly what. When I closed my eyes, I'd dream up this picture - of this parade of women dancing past me and off a cliff - and feel even more ashamed.

Heh I probably sound like a whackjob right now.... But yeah, that's just what I picture/feel in regard to chest dysphoria.

I've got nothin' against the female chest - just so long as it isn't on ME :icon_wink

17. lizardman

18. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

19. lizardman

But when I try to wear certain shirts (even loose t-shirts), I can see sort of the outline of the sports bra, and that gives me anxiety. Bras also just feel really unnatural. I'd rather be able to just wear a shirt and be able to breathe. Soon enough, though... top surgery.

#59 lizardman, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  20. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I'm kinda scared of top surgery. But I might get it. I just really want a binder....