Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ianthe

This is not my experience of pride parades.

In Portland, the naked bike ride that happens the same weekend is a lot more egregious, at least in terms of nudity, and (I think) a lot of the people in that are straight. It's not a pride event.

2. Lewis

It's not offensive, I just find it funny. Not sure why though. I guess it's good that some straight people acknowledge their sexuality rather than just ignoring it and getting on with their 'normal' lives. Why shouldn't they be proud? If somebody is straight and accepting of other sexualities, kudos to them.

3. Just Jess

You know what, if the straight pride movement is 1/10th as cool to their straight transgendered members as the gay community is to all transgendered people, I'll dump all my bath salts down the toilet. Believe me we are already as civil and functional.

4. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I don't know this expression. :confused:

5. Just Jess

Oh no! Sorry bath salts like Bath and Body works, I use them for their intended purpose, in the tub, they soften and scent the water. I use 'em with bubble bath.

I don't do drugs! :icon_redf

6. Tiny Catastrophe

I think someone is just looking for attention. Honestly reading that just makes the person sound so stupid. And it almost sounds like they're mocking gay pride.

7. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    also the repression of sexuality that society encourages [unless the people involved are straight cismen] shouldn't be adhered to by queer people if we want to make any progress at all

8. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Eh, I don't think it's offensive. It's they wanna create art and shit celebrating their sexuality, then who cares? They're not hurting anyone by just being happy that they're straight. It's not an insult to a gay person if someone is happy they're straight just like being gay (and loving being gay) isn't an insult to straight people. So long as they're not anti-gay and hurting people, I don't really have an opinion toward them. These groups, which I didn't even know existed, don't affect me or the LGBT community so long as their not being dangerously anti-LGBT. And remember, being offended doesn't make you right, so even if someone was to get a bug up their ass about these groups, that doesn't mean the groups are wrong just for existing.

I think what's making some people iffy is that there are two meanings to "pride." One is not wanting or letting yourself be oppressed because of whatever you have pride in, fighting for equal rights and that, which is how it is for gay people. The other meaning of pride is just being happy with whatever you have pride in, which is how it is for straight people because...well, no one is oppressing them and they have all their rights as a straight person, so they're not fighting for anything with their pride. Pride always means something different for minorities, any minorities from what it would mean to a majority. If someone is proud of being rich or proud of being white, so long as their not killing homeless people ala Hard Target and hanging jews and blacks in their million dollars lawns, then them simply liking those aspects of themselves doesn't affect or bother me. It shouldn't for anyone else either because you'd just be getting yourself worked up over nothing.

In this instance, for straight people it's just about them liking their sexuality, it has no political origins and that. So what I'm saying is "pride" means two different things for our community and their community. For them it's "we love being heterosexual" for us it's "we want equal rights and stop killing us." The meanings being different doesn't make either pride wrong or right. They're just different. And so long as their pride isn't hurting anyone then let them celebrate their hetero-ness. It's not doing any harm, so don't be bothered.

Okay I feel like I've begun to repeat myself, so I better end it here. I made my point, right?

9. Hot Pink

It's not so much offensive as it is in poor taste. Gay Pride is about being proud of who we are IN SPITE of our struggle. Straight people haven't had to fight to be accepted in society. They haven't been thrown out of bars, beaten up, killed, and actively despised for being straight on a massive scale. Heterosexuality is everywhere in our society. You can't even walk down the street without being blasted in the face with it. They haven't been raped, made an example of, stripped, and humiliated in public. They haven't been kicked out of neighborhoods, lost their home, or their job because of their sexual orientation.

10. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

if we have our gay pride they can have their straight pride :lol:

11. Phil

Phil Guest

If they don't do it to bash gays it's ok, they have their right to.

12. I think you're on to something.

13. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I don't really see the point of having a celebration for being part of the norm.

14. Eurinthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Other than the overtly offensive ones, it doesn't seem that bad. In fact, I would not even have guessed some of them were made by "straight-pride" groups. For example, the one about "We should just have love parades" makes an awful lot of sense, and I could easily believe it was made by a homosexual or an asexual person (e.g. why bother distinguishing love between same genders or different genders with contrived terms when "love" is sufficient? At least that's how I interpreted it). Now, that cross through the rainbow is a different story...

15. Eatthechildren

Actually I do support Straight pride. For straight Trans* people who often go through life being told they're gay, that is.

16. FruitFly

Straight pride does not bother me. Neither would white pride, men appreciation day, etc. What does bother me are those who use those terms not to embrace who they are, but as an excuse to push a whole lot of negativity around.

So it's not the groups themselves, but the attitudes of the members within.

17. prism

People should be proud of who they are, not what they are.

The only reason I support "gay pride" is because I think it is a crucial component to the LGBTQ movement. Straight people have nothing to prove; the world already accepts them.

18. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

So the different responses I'm getting are:
    -They're attention-seekers.
    -We should have all-encompassing pride.
    -If we have our pride, they can have their pride.
    -Pride is about overcoming oppression, not being privileged.
    -It's not damaging enough to fuss over.
    -They don't need pride.
    -There should be cemeteries for alive people.

I myself don't have a set opinion. It makes me wonder...do they understand why we have queer pride? But our movement's about accepting everyone, so...idk.

19. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahhaa. It's kind of funny and kind of pisses me off. Come on, is it THAT difficult to be straight? You must get so my hatred in your life. Imagine when you tell your parents? "Mom, dad, I'm straight" WOW. SHOCKING. Do they disown you? Yeah... that's full of shit. I mean, okay, they can be proud of being like that, but it just seems that being proud of being gay is stupid. It's like they are making fun of us. Or they are wayyyyy too stupid to understand.
    It's like saying feminists want the women in power. NO, we fucking want to be equally treated. It just pisses me off when the minorities are the villain because they just want people to treat them with nothing more than respect.

20. curlycats

i see nothing wrong with the guidelines proposed by the Straight Pride Club linked in the OP's post. they have as much right to be proud of who they are as anyone else does and they specifically say that they have nothing against other sexualities.

some of those images, on the other hand, are discriminatory and/or offensive. i take issue with such images, but not with straight/heterosexual pride itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.