1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was the first person you came out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ICTOAUN

my best friend. we had just finished dinner at taco roco (taco tuesday!) and i said i needed to tell her something really important. we sat in her car while i was trying to say it. i was so nervous and awkward. finally i said, "i dont..necessarily like..boys". she said "so u likkee.." and i finished her sentence by adding "girls."
    she was so happy that i told her. we talked for hours in the car after that about who i thought was hot and how long i had known blah blah blah. it was great!

2. Hoppipolla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my best friends, we sat in school and I just said it, that happened when I came out as bi. She was also the first to be told when I came out as a lesbian :3

3. Skyline

First person I told about my cross dressing was one of my very close online friends. I have yet to meet her in person but I will be seeing her after new years.
    ^_^

4. My best friend (the one I became extremely attracted to). I was becoming really depressed and he noticed something was wrong. So at one point I broke it to him. It is a little awkward at times but we are still best friends and are more open about everything now (which is crazy cause we always told each other everything). Ten minutes after I told him (which took an hour) I went home and told my parents. Both went surprisingly well.

5. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My therapist. I am there working through anxiety and depression. It just came up one session about 4 months in. He smiled, and said "so THAT'S what this is all about, huh?" I haven't discussed it with him since...although, it's on the agenda for next session. It's been almost a year. We'll see...

6. Skycess

Out Status:
    A few people
    I blurted it out at a restaurant to my host mother (I was an exchange student at the time.)
    I've come out to some people after that, but that was the only time I actually said it face to face to someone without being influenced by alcohol.

7. Hoofbeats

My best friend at the time (over 10 years ago) was the first person I actively told about my attraction to genders other than male. Then, a few years after that, I came out as bi to my then boyfriend, now-husband. He was accepting of me carrying on relationships with women, which only happened a few times. I have fully come out as both pansexual and polyamorous to about 10 friends (most on a very close level; a few, just instant, because I knew by their lifestyles that they could relate or accept.) Now, people generally know that something's up with me other than being a monogamous married-to-a-man woman, but I am not actively telling people. If they find out and come to me asking, I won't lie.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told my professor in a paper during my summer class.

It actually went quite well, but it was a little awkward the next class.

9. MixedNutz

I friend that I hung out with off and on that was openly out and proud

10. Isabelle

The first person I told was my best friend who is gay himself

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Best friend, great experience.

12. Veneficus

First person I came out to was my mom. It went pretty well and she was not suspecting at all. She was very accepting though so I was/am glad.

13. Colours

My best friend. But I told him because I had feelings for him.

14. Lewis

Someone online. But my first real true coming out was to by two best friends that took it amazingly. Lots of emotion, tears and hugs!

15. timo

All of you when I joined this place.

A few weeks later I had my first 'real' coming out when I told a close friend. After that I've told 6 or 7 other friends (either told them out of the blue or when the subject came up) and they all responded very positive.

16. jvn95

I told my Bi friend, I thought since she could relate a little she would understand.

And her Bf at the same time really, I don't like making one and not the other in a couple keep a secret.

17. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

First person i told face-to-face was a coworker she just asked straight out i lied at first by saying no then i just thought to myself what the hell and said that i was gay she just looked at me and said oh i thought you were with a big smile on her face

18. Zodavva

A guy I madly fancied. I was so crazy about him that I didn't even think about the fact that he wasn't one bit interested in me and was straight, so I told him I fancied him and then explained my sexuality... he was really nice and suppportive about it, so it wasn't a bad experience overall :slight_smile: I felt damn stupid though xD

19. AlexisAnne

Orientation: Best friend. She simply said, "I know." She is bi also so there wasn't a lot of tension.

Gender: Best friend again. Me: "I have something to tell you." Her: "Okay," (looking nervous) I sat there for what felt like an eternity before finally coming out. This time she was surprised. It went well though.

20. adamln

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The first (And only) person I came out to is my older sister. We have a very close relationship, care deeply for each other and never argue, so her reaction me.

She was always quite supportive of LGBT rights etc so I was fairly confident. Thankfully it went well, she was extremely important and she also came out to me, which meant a lot. Although this complicates things a bit (We have a homophobic Dad, so he won't take the news that he doesn't have a straight child well), I am extremely glad to get the first person out of the way.