1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was the first person you came out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Naomilly92

I actually don't remember. Numerous friends... I think my 2 male friends from college.
    We were in a pub, having our usual guy banter and they were teasing me, asking if I was attracted to men at all, and I said yeah. I'm bisexual (I was confused/in denial at this stage).

I came out as actually gay to the same friends, we were in a taxi together, and I said "remember I said I was bisexual", "well I'm actually gay". The reaction was rather positive, which was surprising, because one of my friends was quite homophobic... "I don't like seeing two gay guys kiss", "I'm not comfortable with gay people".

2. Moomookitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the 8th grade there was this new girl at our school and me and my best friend invited her to sit by us at lunch and we were the first 2 people at the school to talk to her and we were walking alone in the hall after lunch and only 20 minutes after I met her she said "I think I might be bi" and I was like awesome and now were good friends so I came out to her first since she came out to me when we had just met xD

3. Martjain

My sister.
    She told me "I kinda like girls"
    And I said, "Wow, well, now that you told me that"
    "I kinda like guys"
    She said "Really?? I thought you were super straight, and girls drove you crazy."
    It was awesome.

4. Candace

One of my best friends. He was going to return to Greece for a month to spend time with family. I wanted to get this all off my chest, and just tell him. I literally sat in my room on my Facebook for 4-5 hours, crying, thinking of the right message to send to him. I mustered up my courage, wrote something thoughtful, and hoped for the best. I get a text at 3:50 in the morning from him. He told me that I was his bro and that he'd always love me and didn't matter to him that I was gay. *crying tears of joy*

5. Zinc54

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friend came out as bi in my chemistry class so afterwards I told him I was gay and just "cool". Then I came out to half my class and most of them said they already knew.

6. BlackSwan

One of my best friends (male)

7. Elena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well before I really knew for sure myself a lot of my friends knew I liked girls but they (and me too, kind of) assumed I was bisexual. But first person I've ever came out to as a lesbian was my childhood friend whom I wasn't really that close to anymore but still felt I could trust her more than most people as we've known each other for more than 10 years.

8. Jared

My mom, then I went back in the closet the same day. Came out to my therapist many months later, and then my mom again.

9. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I accedetely came out one night to one of my friends, I was drinking and just blured it out. Her response was 'Yeah, you are somehow to good for men', witch is both incredibly kind and supportive. She rocks!!

10. Sayu

I don't really know... one of my friends. Or my ex-crush.

11. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out online first, so it was a host of online friends I came out to. They encouraged me to be myself, no matter what orientation I was. In real life, the first one I talked to and came out completely was my best friend who I've known for ten years. She's extremely open minded so I wasn't worried there. My mother was the hardest because, although for years she kept asking the question, when I admitted, it took me three times coming out to her for her to understand. My brother accepted a lot quicker than she did though.

12. Snowball

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was either my sister or my best friend, I don't remember. My sister accepted it, my friend not :rolle:

13. RainbowMan

My therapist was my first person, then a friend who is gay. Then it took some time before being able to tell my parents, but that's done.

I still need to tell my siblings. Don't quite know how to approach that.

14. Dans le placard

This was the first place I ever shared any sort of open honest feeling about my sexuality ever. After that, a good female friend of mine. It went so well that it's started snowballing a bit. :lol:

15. eatsleepclimb

My school counselor :slight_smile:

16. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first person I came out was my roommate and she has been AMAZINGLY supportive. She listens to me go in and out of denial, talks me down from my anxiety attacks, and gives me advice on how not to act like a fool around my crush.