1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with myself

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rayland, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. It means a lot.

Reading all the reply's and my own answers too makes me feel like crying. I'm very much of a perfectionist, who don't like to admit any weakness or well not being perfect, because there have always been pressure on me to be perfect, so it makes me feel a bit like I'm failing myself. Like it's a step back not forward.

luminousecho and Mihael like this.
  2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm freacking out. I told just my sister about me, because she saw an description on my profile on discord about me being transgender and thought I was joking, but then I told her I am not. It's my own carelessness, but she is okay with it, but also said she thinks she may be bisexual herself. Told her to be quiet about it and say nothing to our parents, at least for now.

mnguy, Mihael and luminousecho like this.
  3. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww, that is such good news for you! I'm really happy for you and your sister to have come out to one another tonight. I'm sure it will help you both no end having someone you can hopefully talk to it all about!

I meant to reply, also... Seriously, it doesn't matter about topics with guys, really. Gaming, football, who is the hottest woman in such and such a category (this last one IS very important), yeah, but... I don't know, most of the male social groups I was in (where there were a mixture of interests) tended to just chat about news, music, fashion etc. What was going on locally, in the world... Just normal stuff you can discuss with men or women. It's more important to not try too hard and just be yourself.

Rayland likes this.
  4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. Coming out is totally terrifying every time, no matter how many times you do it. I'm still in shock a little, but she did tell me that she is glad she can talk to me about this all.

And you're right. I guess I'm just scared how this all will turn out. I'm scared of the unknown. But I guess it's better to go with the flow, rather than make yourself go nuts with worry. I'm prone to worry about everything.

luminousecho likes this.
  5. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Great news that coming out to your sister (even if it was unintentional) went well. You've now got an ally lined up for when you're ready to come out to your parents!

Big hugs,
    Beth xx

Mihael, Rayland and luminousecho like this.
  6. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I imagine it is very stressful to do, especially with immediate family. How would your parents react, do you think, if you did come out to them? Do you have any kind of inkling? ... At least you know, now, you will always have the support of your sister. I hope that you both start talking and opening up to each other about how you are feeling.

I've not really come out yet. I don't know if I will or not. At present, I'm just bi-curious, so it makes no sense unless I'm sure. I have read, here, though, many men say they eventually realize they are gay when they start seeing men. I would come out fully if that happened to me, but at present I'm too uncertain myself!

I think many people are happy to talk, if you show a genuine interest in them. You should perhaps utilize this year to start doing that more and more? So that you have a good base level of confidence in communicating with a wider variety of people. I think it would make it much easier for you in future to have this self belief.

Rayland likes this.
  7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. Big hugs back to you.

I'm not sure anymore. Before I was so terrified I thought everyone would disown me and I would be kicked out of my home and I would be on the streets, but after hearing dad explain this all to my sister perfectly I was in complete shock, because before he said lines like lesbians are people who sleep with men and women and said homophobic stuff and even asked me, if I'm not a lesbian with a bad tone, when I just hung out with my female friends. Of course back then I still wasn't aware of myself and felt very offended. I once told him, so what if I am a lesbian and then he just said oh and got quiet. I was fed up with him. Now though my aunt and her two daughters know about me and accept me and now my sister knows. In my aunt husband family there is also another person who is trans, but my aunt husband don't understand all of this. I told my therapist I will come out to my parents once I am officially on T. I will tell others then too. I plan to make a facebook post.

When I was a child I barely uttered a word in school. I was often bullied and my self confidence was tampered on. I avoided people and even passing people on street gave me anxiety, but I did try to get out of it and I have succeeded. One thing that gave me a boost in confidence was my work training, where I was told in evaluation that I am a good communicator and friendly. I tend to be very insecure though. Immersion in different situations have helped me to get better at communicating. I just have bad anxiety what I take medication for. I tend to tear up about any critisism. It all has been hard, but I do get better and better. Even strangers on streets start conversations with me.

luminousecho likes this.
  8. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to suffer social anxiety very badly, too, though CBT and self acceptance (that I will never be "normal") has helped me get it to a comfortable level. The fear is still always there, but I accept it now and move past it. If my voice trembles, so what? Better to be somebody with a shaky nervous voice than to hide away and miss out!

I can understand, more, now why you are worried about work, with not knowing how your family will respond. At least you have plenty of time, now, to prepare for it, and hopefully improve your working situation before the time comes to tell them What is it that you do?

I think in many ways, I hope I am just gay. It would make things much easier, no more confusion or worrying about my identity! ... Do you have any friends who are LGBTQ+?

Rayland likes this.
  9. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently an university student. I changed my career, because being a caregiver wasn't something I was able to do, because of my health. I get backpains, so I can't help lifting people or helping out doctors. I was working in the intensive care unit before. Now I study tourism and hotel management, because I've always wished to start my own business and I love different cultures and languages. My university is only one week in a month, so I would like to earn money and save up for transitioning. It's also nice to have your own income, so I wouldn't have to rely on others and be independent and maybe even be able to move out from my parents house, though they do need help, since they aren't able to work or go to the doctors withouth help and my sister have a disability.

Same here. Life would be so much easier. I hate being trans, but nothing can be done about that, since my dysphoria is awful.

If you don't count online friends, then in real life I have 0 lgbt+ friends. Support groups are in another city too. Commuting is not a problem, but finding exuses to go is, since my parents are overprotective and call me, even if I stay out too long and question why and where I go. It takes planning to go, even though I'm a 32 year old adult.

luminousecho likes this.
  10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Rain, I honestly didn't know you were that age. I thought you were younger.

You need to get out. As soon as possible.

Hugs, Beth x

Rayland and luminousecho like this.
  11. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, at least you're going to uni and that is a hugely positive career step many don't have. And working in the hotel industry is a great choice! I know it may seem like an uphill struggle at the moment, but it will be so worth it, when you're happy working in a hotel or tourist office, in the long run! (Have you read about the McKenzie method for back problems?)

32 is still young! You've still got the majority of your adult life still to experience and with your course you're in a strong position to do that. I do agree with Beth, though, you need to seriously think about spreading your wings when you're in a financially viable position to do so. The years will start to pass quicker each year now you've hit 30! Do you do much planning? I mean do you plan each day, week and month ahead, a little bit, each year etc.? So that you're gently moving forward? (Just a to do list?)

I'm sorry you don't have any LGBTQ+ friends in real life, at least you do have your sister, though. I'm sorry about your dysphoria, I can't imagine how distressing that must be for you. To me, it's not about my own body, I don't mind if I'm male or female. It must be awful to not feel at home within your own body... You should perhaps consider writing down your feelings, now, so that later down the line you can look back and remember how upsetting it was for you? I did read someone's posts on here, who had transitioned, and she had doubts whether she'd done the right thing or not and was still very confused. I think it would help you, in future, to have a snapshot of how much it effected your daily life. Perhaps start writing about it, and adding stuff throughout the coming year? So you have plenty of information to look back on. If nothing else, it should lessen the stressful inner conflict you feel, in switching off and evaluating yourself from a more practical and scientific viewpoint?

chicodeoro and Rayland like this.
  12. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My age is on my profile and I have never tried to seem, like I'm younger, but I can definitely see how my posts would make you believe I am younger. I turned 32 in June. My birth date is 24th of June 1991.

I have never felt myself as an mature adult. I do believe I might be on the autism spectrum, though it's never diagnosed nor have I pursued to get the diagnosis. I may have got left behind on development as well, this is how I feel like. I was once asked, if I have a disability, what baffled me.

Believe it or not I have never travelled outside of Estonia. I have never flew on a plane or rode a big cruise ship. It has been my dream and this is what I'm working towards. To get that independence, though it's very hard.

I was always sick as a child, because of genetics defects, so it might be the reason, why my parents are overprotective and even now my health is not good. I've never lived my life as someone fully healthy and as someone my age would live their life, which is why I hate being trans so much. I was dreaming of getting my own house and raise children, with a loving husband and have stability. Being trans makes this all harder.

I do agree, that I do need to get out, but as I'm studying in the same city currently I live in, then it's better to live at home and I can try to save up for my own place, since rent is so expensive. I am eligible for the government support, what I am applying for, since I do have difficulty finding a suitable job for myself, because of my restrictions, so this would help me loads and there is also place where I can rent an apartment for cheaper.

luminousecho likes this.
  13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I haven't read it, but I will now.

I do planning, though I'm never good at writing all of it down. I'm the type that keeps all my plans in my head and appointments and stuff I usually write in my phone, where I have to do lists as well, as I'm not good at keeping a planner.

It's okay. The dysphoria makes me honestly even cry, because it gets so bad, that I don't even know what to do with myself. I feel that uncomfortable and it even hinders my sleep. Therapy and actually writing posts here has helped me with that loads. I'm hoping getting on hormones help with it all and makes my mind more clearer.

luminousecho likes this.
  14. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is very good. I had bad back problems and reading his book on it really helped me. It is all about posture. I went from struggling to walk the best part of a year to being almost pain free in 3 days following the exercises diligently. If you have bad pain, simply try falling asleep on your back with a small, rolled up towel in the small of your back. That helps a lot too!

I read that dysphoria is really bad. I mistook it for the anxiety and insomnia I was experiencing, at times, from looking into myself too long, too deep, but it is different I know that now. It is something that is always there for you isn't it? ... I think it is good for you that you have written about it on here, you may need to look back to how you were feeling in future.

15. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I've bern doing that. I do feel better sleeping, when I have support for my back, so I've been using a pillow underneath my back, since I tend to sleep on my side. I've seen that they sell lumbar support pillows. I also feel better, when I have pillow between my legs as a support. I have scoliosis also because of genetics. As a child I had physiotherapy as well. I did went to physiotherapy for a while as an adult too and got taught exercises for my back, but It was only for half a year and after that is just continuing with exercises by yourself, but I was having depressive episodes and suicidal thoughts, so this wasn't a priority for me. I had no energy. If I'd get back into physiotherapy, then this is more helpful, because I don't have motivation otherwise, but then I have something that is an obligation, so I'd actually do the exercises. I feel like I need supervision for this.

I mistook dysphoria for my hearth issue that is also because of genetics, but luckily there wasn't anything there. I did went to check and spent a day in the hospital. I did feel it physically. Even right now, though today it's not too bad, since I feel a bit more like a guy today. My sis told me too, that I look more like a guy.

luminousecho likes this.
  16. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll reply properly in the morning, I've been busy today so am going to chill out now :sleeping:

Rayland likes this.
  17. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about it. I understand. :slight_smile: Hope you have good rest of the evening or night.

luminousecho likes this.
  18. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find the lumbar supports are good. I have one on my computer chair, which I think is the main danger area for me (where I tend to slouch most). I find I also need an angled footrest, too, though, or I still end up slouching even with the support... I also do two simple exercises a day (lying face down, with my hands beside my hips for a few minutes, and then raising up on my elbows (so they are below my shoulders) for a few minutes, so my back is arched--both exercises, using full abdominal breathing). If there was something similar in your own exercises, you should try to do them as often as you feel like it as it helps me avoid most back problems now.

I think poor posture is the worst thing for back problems. Are you able to do any simple yoga? qi gong or tai chi? (All of which are also good for your mental well being, also--there is an excellent gentle qi gong book, called "The Way of Energy", by Lam Kam Cheun, which is available free on the Internet Archive) I think for posture, like most things, it can be a snowball effect. It is largely pointless simply trying to sit or lie correctly, if the rest of your body is slumped, of course your back will shift to the most natural position automatically. If the rest of your body is well aligned, though, that natural position becomes the proper position and starts to feel normal, if that makes sense!

Rayland likes this.
  19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I am. My previous school offered free yoga classes for students, so I took advantage of it, because I knew yoga is beneficial for your back, though there were exercises I weren't able to do, but most of it I could. It wasn't bad and was good for me. The teacher wasn't strict either. It was okay, if I couldn't do all of the exercises. I also noticed, that many of the exercises were the same I learned in physiotherapy. I do have exercise equipment at home, so I can do harder exercises too.

luminousecho likes this.
  20. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it's good that you have some yoga to do, as it is very relaxing and good for the mind. I tend to find just getting on with stuff (even if it's just the housework) a good way to stay mentally well. I tend to fall into a slump if my living space is a mess, like the clutter becomes mental clutter too, like a white noise/brain fog, if that makes sense, whereas my mind is much clearer if everything is clean and organized, so I try to keep it as tidy as possible.

Rayland likes this.