1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with myself

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rayland, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately I've been struggling a lot with my own thoughts. A lot of it is because of this toxic masculinity mindset and internalised transphobia, what I thought was getting better, but somehow it's still bothering me. It's like I'm trying still to deny my true self. I deny myself liking certain type of clothing, because it's preceived as feminine. I think a lot of it has to do with my sexuality too, since I like men and women. I have a lot of stress and uncertainty towards my future and worry over finances. I'll be honest and say that I still haven't learned to love myself. I'm my own worst critic and bully. I also think that lots of why I don't find a job currently is thanks to my looks, rather than anything else, what makes my self confidence drop a lot. Much of what I say about clothes being just peces of fabric and that it's okay to like cute and feminine things is me trying to break my own mindset as well and root out as much as possible that toxicity from society. I've been feeling sad and been tearing up out of nowhere a lot too, when thinking about transition. I've been feeling jealous and unhappy. All of these different feelings overlapping confuse me.

luminousecho likes this.
  2. Ritsuka

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I 100 percent agree, and 100 percent understand you. I am actually on MTF HRT, for about five months. I'm 29. I'm not sure even if I want to be a woman, I feel like I'll just be an imitation. I have always wanted to be a girl/woman since probably high school. I just use to have that toxic masc mindset, and I even got caught years ago, when living with parents, with a bunch of clothes. They asked and I denied. I wish I would've of just said yes. I'm not sure if I'll ever except myself. I'm sure this dysphoria is the least of my problems, but I have been dealing with it for a good 20 years.

Rayland likes this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hugs. I can't imagine dealing with dysphoria for so long. I've only been dealing with it the past 3 years, though I've known since kindergarten, but I was depersonalizing this entire 30 years of my existence. I think it was my way of coping, otherwise I'm not sure how I would have turned out. Mine was getting so awful, that I started taking painkillers in hopes that it would help, but I stopped that, since it didn't help and I didn't want to get addicted or having an overdose.

I'm out to some people (my friend and relatives). It was the hardest thing ever, but I'm glad I told them. Having supportive people around is a blessing. I've been dealing with it all my own and even searched for psychiatric help all my own, what all has helped a lot with my suicidal thoughts. I have a lot of trauma. I never really realized how messed up I was. I have body dysmorphia, so this contributes to me not being happy with myself. Self image issues and sexuality are big part of my struggles.

4. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From what I've seen, you seem like a really nice person Rayland. You seem very calm, balanced and considerate and those are rare qualities many people lack. I know they're well-worn cliches, but it really is true: you should try to focus on your positives and not fixate on your perceived negatives. Nobody is perfect. People will accept you for who you are and if not then that's their loss. I don't know you at all, but was left very impressed by your posts on here.

chicodeoro and Rayland like this.
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. I very much appreciate it. It's all just a result of 3 years worth of experience here and studying about this all. Everybody can get to this stage, if they want to. I just wish I would see all the good qualities in myself too. I'm trying to love myself, but it isn't easy.

luminousecho likes this.
  6. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, you did mention seeking help and I do think you should look into doing this after so long studying it for so long. I'll only have reached 2 years in November and it is very draining! I recently got a therapist and have largely stopped looking for answers, now. It can help you to accept yourself much better and the answers will then come from within. Personally, I've realized I have a good enough idea of my identity/sexuality and need to focus on other things now (such as confidence, health and quitting nicotine). I think in my case, always searching for answers was what was blocking me from sorting myself out. It is healthier to pay attention to all areas, I've found.

7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's good. You're making progress. In my case it is only the internalized transphobia and toxic masculinity mindset I'm struggling with. I have long figured myself out. I don't know, if I ever accept it all though. I have a committee appointment in the year 2024 in order to get on testosterone. I know I feel better as a male. I have already transitioned as much as possible by wearing male clothes and using male products. When I get on hormones, then I will tell my parents too and will be officially out to everyone, what is my end goal. In university too. People already kinda now that lgbt+ topics are personal to me.

luminousecho likes this.
  8. luminousecho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're doing really well Rayland and it's great you have an appointment for next year. I know the waiting lists are huge, so at least you can slowly start to see light at the end of the tunnel now. I honestly think now could be a good time to talk to someone about it, it's such a major decision and you sound like you're already unsure what to do for the best. I hope you at least give it serious thought.

I found dealing with the toxic masculine mindset fairly easy, really. I think on a subconscious level I've long since accepted toxic masculine stuff (be it toxic alpha male types, or in music or sports, TV etc.) to be silly and immature. I think I actually just picture a cartoon Tarzan beating his chest as my means of dismissing anything like that! It's not really worth thinking about is it?

Rayland likes this.
  9. redstatic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure if this will help, but I've also dealt with toxic masculinity - to the point where it hindered my decision to transition. It took a while, but it was worth realising that being a man doesn't have to mean being a bad stereotype. People will take you seriously even though you aren't an "alpha male". You get to choose what sort of man you become, and that man won't be too different from the one you already are. It seems easy putting it all here into words, but in reality it's taken me a while. What helped was surrounding myself with men I respected, finding male role models who didn't adhere to toxic masculinity, and trying to visualise myself as male in the future - I used to make drawings of myself and write out lists of the traits I wanted to have as a man (in one of them I wrote down that I wanted to be a dad figure to those around me, for example).

My girlfriend said something to me once that has stuck with me: "love the man you are right now, don't wait to love the man you'll become".

I also wanted to add, because you mentioned clothing specifically: I don't think it's worth beating yourself up over that. I don't see avoiding feminine clothing as toxic masculinity at this point in your transition. You say you're dysphoric. My dysphoria doesn't allow me to wear feminine clothing, so I don't want to add even more stress on top of what I'm already experiencing just to break gender stereotypes. I'll break them once I'll be comfortable with myself.

Rayland and luminousecho like this.
  10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Masculinity is in the process of being redefined and I think trans men have a big part to play in that process.

Great to hear that you've got a date for (hopefully) going onto hormones, Rain. It's not long to wait now!

Hugs, Beth x

#10 chicodeoro, Jul 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    Mihael, Rayland and luminousecho like this.
  11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everyone for responces. I actually really expected to get none, so I'm really thankful, because this all helps to clear my mind.

Thank you. I really should talk to my therapist about more of internalized transphobia and this mindset, but I'm scared my therapist gives my doubts more of a power over me. I will try to talk about it though. I think I really should as well, because I have so many fears regarding transitioning.

I like this thinking. You're right, it's really not worth thinking about. I think I worry too much over things.

I think this is a really good idea and I will try this out. I guess I do have a kind of role model. I've just been into this TV series. I'm not sure how good of a role model they are, since they are an actor. I like the guy who plays Lucifer on Netflix. :laughing: I don't feel like they really fit the sterotypes, though they are very manly, but there is this something that I can't put my finger on that is different. It's the mannerism, that has feminine traits in my opinion, but I like that.

This is really sweet. It is about self love, it's hard, but I'm really am trying to love myself.

This is a good mindset. I can't wear feminine clothing either, but I just try to deny even liking them or just wearing pink t-shirt, though in description it's for men. Some of what are more gender neutral I'm okay with and some type of skirts don't cause me dysphoria. When it comes to dresses I feel dysphoric. My breasts and skin and voice are the biggest cause of my dysphoria. My own voice caused me to have panic attacks.

Thank you Beth. Hugs.

This is what I wrote to my friend in a PM here:

I don't like my own face. I'm always so akward on pictures too. It takes so much energy to just get myself ready or put on makeup. I hate that it makes me look more feminine though. I should learn more masculine makeup tehniques, but it takes time to learn. I should do more voice training, but I kinda hurt my throat a bit with singing, so now I'm scared of hurting myself again. I still need to learn how to fasten a tie. There is so much I don't know about mens world. It does scare me a bit too. Will I be even accepted by other men? Seen as equal? Or will I be casted out? I have no one to learn from close to me, someone my age who would teach me the ropes. There is always YouTube, but it's not the same as having such a person supporting you.

luminousecho likes this.
  12. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Of course you will! You just have to find the right friends. However, this I will say....knowledge of sport is a fantastic short cut to forming friendships with males. It absolutely is! And football in particular is God's gift to male conversation.

Once you're on testosterone, your skin will lose its softness and you'll develop facial hair really easily. And your voice will drop - so you won't need to do any voice training. You have a lot to look forward to!

Hugs, Beth x

Rayland likes this.
  13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the men in my family are really into watching sport in TV. I'm not that sporty type and I often find it boring and unable to concentrate on it. I do like a bit of soccer and tennis though, so maybe I conentrate on that and learn more about it.

One thing that confuses me is that why do people need masculizing voice therapy, if it drops on hormones? I know some who don't take hormones, so maybe they need it? I don't understand yet how this all works. I feel like such a newbie sometimes.

14. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As far as I'm aware (though others may know better), the voice deepens naturally once the testosterone starts flooding into your system. I don't know of any trans men who've had to go through voice therapy in my own support group.

Of course, for us girls it's different. Essentially, once a voice deepens, it can't return to its pre-pubescent state without a lot of practice.

Beth x

Rayland likes this.
  15. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe that would be voice dysphoria in those a long way off from (or those unable to) taking T. That's why there is voice training. Also, there are certain mannerisms men tend to do with their voices that women don't, not bothering with those shouldn't get you clocked as trans though after T.

Rayland likes this.
  16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started to watch sport sometimes only when I learned some sports good enough to be able to know what's going on.

But if you're not into sports there are plenty of other subjects, for example cars, renovations, technology.

It's for people who don't want to take hormones and experience all of their effects or can't take them. I did it but I didn't have the time and energy to continue. The voice therapist said that some of his clients were teenagers who weren't sure if they want hormones yet. There was someone I saw on the internet for whom testosterone didn't cause significant voice changes as well, he was after 40 as far as I remember.

Rayland likes this.
  17. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a lot about tehnology and renovations, so there are topics I can use to get conversations going. I'm awful though about car knowledge. I can easily get into a strangers car thinking it's mine.

The reason I even started thinking about voice training was that panic attack I experienced while at work training, because of my own voice. Thank goodness I had a breather and it happened after saying goodbye to a customer, because I had to sit down and I was holding onto my chair and did breathe in and out, what helped me to calm down. I haven't experienced it since then, but I have become more quiet after that.

Mihael likes this.
  18. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cars are an easy topic. If you get to know some basics for example what kind of cars you like, some basics of how they work, then you can talk about it with guys for half of a family gathering. Guys really talk a lot about cars, even those who aren't very masculine. They play with cars as children just like girls play with dolls and it stays, lol. As a non controversial non challenging topic to talk about.

If you want to take T in the future, then you don't need to do voice training. But if you want to, you can. Hm, I have never had issues with throat hurting from singing. A friend told me in the past that it can be caused by not using the diaphragm when singing.

Rayland likes this.
  19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister knows about cars more than me. My dad was 20 years of his life a bus driver. It should be in my genes lol.

I think it was my fault, because I didn't do a proper warming up and went straight into harder exercises.

I will be going on hormones, no doubts there. My T levels are actually quite high already, what is silly, but it makes me happy. I just feel like they should be higher. Again this shows I barely know how any of this works.

20. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not fault, just not having experience. Now that you've gained experience, you know how to do it better. Yup, a warmup is needed.

It's okay, I don't think most people know every detail of how hormones work and it's normal not to know that if you don't sit in the subject for 10 years or so and it's not silly neither to want higher levels of testosterone nor to have high testosterone.

Rayland likes this.