1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple gay children?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prism, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Night Rain

For some reason I'm wishing my brother would turn out gay too... or bi. That would be perfect! :slight_smile:)

2. Lark

Lark Guest

I've always been a little skeptical of the 'little brothers are more likely to be gay' theory, as my dad is one of five brothers and not one of them is gay. Then again, I have a big, BIG family and not one of them is gay. Maybe the gene isn't very strong in my family, and I just watched too much Naya Rivera on Glee.
    I kind of wish at least one of my cousins was gay or something though-be nice to have a good ol' gay chat with someone :slight_smile: Hopefully I'm not the only one in the closet, lol.

3. Gumtree

I have 3 Male siblings.

1 Gay, 1 Bi, 1 Straight and myself (Gay).

3/4 Queer.

4. prism

If you don't mind my asking, are all of you out? What do your parents say about it?

5. Curious77

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi, I have 3 older sisters who are all gay. I am straight. I have been wondering for years if there were other families like mine. I googled my question and it led me here to you're question so I registered hoping to chat with you. If you don't mind let me know.
    Thanks

6. lovely lesbian

I'm the only gay person in my family a far as I no but then only two for my siblings know I gay

7. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm beginning to suspect my little brother may be gay. Dunno why, maybe I'm just overthinking things.

8. Ohhai

I'm gay, my brother is gay/questioning/bi/straight. He changes a lot.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The twin studies are good examples of how being gay is at least partly genetic, but as your own family's example has shown, there is not a 100% chance that siblings will be gay (or straight). In my case, I suspect a female cousin who's a few months older than me is lesbian. The evidence is that she has always been a tomboy (played basketball in school, which is unusual for Indian-American girls) when playing with me, and a few of her friends came out as lesbian. But my cousin is very religious and has never been in a relationship and never talked about liking people of the opposite sex, like me, so I don't really know.

#49 resu, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  10. cali

I definitely think being gay is genetic. My father has 4 siblings and him and one of his sisters are gay. And I'm gay.

I was wondering if more people are openly gay, and are therefore less likely to have biological children, will this affect the number of homosexuals being born??

11. 2112

I have a lesbian cousin and I think another cousin is probably gay, but I have a huge family. There were about 50 people at the last family party thing and there were still a lot of people missing. And that's just my dad's side of the family...

12. sammy1

As far as I know I'm the only gay person in my family...it sucks not being able to talk about it to anyone in my family it would b nice to have a family member who can relate. The only person who I heard may have been gay other than I is my uncle but he died along time ago so I will never know for sure

13. KLilOne3

Hi! My family is in a similar situation. I have 2 older brothers and the oldest one is straight, my middle brother is gay (and hes 6 years older than me) and I am a lesbian. I believe its very common to have multiple gay siblings. Especially when an older one is gay its more common for the younger ones. I also have some gay cousins and i have a gay nephew from a half sister as well. Also more likely to happen in big families. Its really not uncommon, and yes its even more common among twins. If people think that its because your parents raised you wrong they're just ignorant. I know some others who have multiple gay siblings.. you're not alone :slight_smile:

14. Frank88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Neo, I'm Franco from Argentina.

I was reading a post you wrote (http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/66411-multiple-gay-children.html), and I felt compelled to write to you because I think I'm in the same situation as you are/have been.

I've got an older sister who is a lesbian (who has already come out to everyone), and I'm the youngest son in my family. I'm planning to come out to her next week. And, afterwards, I'm thinking of coming out to my parents, as well.

How did your coming out experience go? Can you give me some advice? I'm terrified of coming out to my parents, not so scared of coming out to my sister, but this whole thing about hiding my feelings from everyone is driving me mad.

Thank you anyway! :thumbsup:

15. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a cousin who everyone's thought was gay since he was about 5 (he's 22 now). Nobody ever suspected me. But he's dating a girl and I'm the one who's out, though not to any extended family.

16. Doorway

My oldest brother's gay, and I'm gay too. The middle brothers straight. We're all opposites of each other, if that makes any sense.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. I know of the extended family scenario and I know one family with 2, and possibly 3, gay offspring, and a few others where I believe this is also the situation. It strongly points to a genetic predisposition.

I know that, in the case of that one family, the parents went into therapy to find out how they contributed to that. That's kind of where it ended as far as my knowledge goes. I wonder what they were told. This therapy thing was a while back. The good thing is that the parents have never criticized their kids, on any level, and the family members get along quite well. The cool thing is that everyone in that family has a great sense of humor. They are FUN people.

18. Anonymous1234

I am in a similar situation, my older sister is Bi and my younger brother is gay. I am bi, but my other younger brother (the other ones twin) is straight and honestly I'm wondering the same thing you are

19. Im Hazel

I think that a lot of people are queer to some degree, but don't realize it. I have a sister who is a lesbian (or maybe bi?). I think it is to do with the way we were brought up - I have a very liberal family. It is probably not as unlikely as the statistics suggest.

20. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My brother defiantly seems gay to me and a bunch of his friends, but he claims he's not. Even when I told him I was bi, he didn't admit he was gay.
    So he's probably not then :dry: