1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you personally know any masculine gay men?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Macholover, Feb 5, 2011.

1. handwave5489

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yep that was me in high school! those people do exist.

2. Macholover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Handwave, do you personally know any masculine gay guys in your everyday life?

3. Jonathan24

Nostradamus! :O

Anyway, I know 0 gay men. It really sucks. I mean my brother has a friend who I have never seen in person who is gay, but that's it.

4. handwave5489

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my everyday life? not really. if you count seeing them on facebook everyday, then, yes. but there's a few in town, a few in different cities i've lived, to know that they're there.

5. Ichi42go

There is a reason this works actually. If you hold your arm out to the side like you are examining a manicure (extended full-stretched arm... you know... more feminine) then your ring finger gets pulled shorter. If you just look at your hand with a bent elbow and all, in a normal pose, then your ring finger will almost always be longer. It's all about HOW you look at your hand. (actually.... a bit clever)

6. Macholover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There probably is alot, but they aren't really open about it because they can hide if they want to from the general society.

7. kwyjibo

Kind of...
    So I was talking to my friend from primary school today, and we were talking about people we knew. This person was saying how there were 4 openly gay people in his school, and 2 who could pull it off followed the stereotype, whereas the other 2 were not in a social position to pull it off and acted as masculine as 13-15 year old straight guys normally do.

8. Ianthe

Here's a link to a study on finger length and homosexuality. Finger length is precisely measured, with all participants being measured the same way, as you would expect with a scientific study.

The correlation is much better in lesbians than in gay men. In gay men it is related to the birth order thing:
    In any case, that picture has it backwards. Where there is any correlation, this study suggests that "greater than normal levels of prenatal androgen" contribute to homosexuality in both women and men. The lesbians' hands are considered "masculinized" and the men with more older brother's hands are considered "hyper-masculinized." (Men with more older brothers are more likely to be gay.)

Men with more older brothers statistically have more masculine finger-length ratios, and are also more likely to be gay. There is no correlation to gay men having less masculine finger-length ratios, which is what that picture is erroneously showing.

There is a stronger correlation for lesbians having more masculine finger-length ratios than heterosexual women. That is, statistically, lesbians have a finger-length ratio closer to that of men.

The difference in the finger-length ratio between men and women is evident in children as young as two years old, and is believed to be caused by prenatal androgens' that masculinize a fetus. The study was looking for (and arguably found) evidence that the same androgens contribute to the development of homosexuality.

The androgens are hypothetically one contributing factor, rather than being a sole cause, and in any case the androgens could sometimes have one effect without necessarily also having the other--for example, the development of the finger-length ratio and the development of homosexuality may be influenced by the same androgens, but at different times during prenatal development.

Anyway, the finger-length thing is not just made up, even if that picture has it totally wrong, and they would be better off talking about lesbians than gay men.

9. Macholover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    interesting.

10. Giorria

Giorria Guest

The only other gay person I know is quite feminine. The bi guy I knew (went on a few dates a couple of months back) is forever trying to look masculine whether it be his image or his car modding but no one buys it or cares.

11. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know a guy (not very well) who is the only gay guy in his group of friends, but it also the only guy who isn't feminine in the group. :grin:

People say he's just 'acting straight' to try and fit in, but he replies with "If I was trying to fit in, surely I would act as camp as my friends do." xDD

12. Ben

Ben

The masculine/feminine dichotomy has been destroyed in my mind. I know gay/bi men on both ends of the spectrum and everywhere in-between.

13. Aeon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I dont know any period. Pretty much NO ONE comes out where I live. T_T

14. zerogravity

I know this one guy who is masculine - really good looking, he listens to rock and dresses in rock t-shirts and jeans. His personality is also great - lots of charisma and very outgoing. I had a big crush on this guy but unfortunately he already has a boyfriend! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. QuietDude

I don't know of any masculine gay guys, when I was at high school there were three openly gay guys all of whom were feminine.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I used this clip once to test the "masculine gay" theory. I had people watch this, and pick out which of these players was gay.

[youtube]akYmRayUTvQ[/youtube]

Lex

17. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a LOT of really masculine gay guys, and a lot of really feminine guys, and all the in between, but I found it really surprising that while I have more physical attraction to the masculine guys, I seem to date more feminine guys, or at least more successfully, lol

18. steel03

I've known at least a couple I wouldn't consider "feminine." One of them was an athlete. Played soccer. Super nice. Had no idea he was gay until someone told me like a month after I started getting to know him. The second one I never would have guessed in a million years was gay. I mean he choreographed our show choir, but he was the kind of guy who could do that and still be a total "tough guy." He's actually one of the big reasons I started feeling like it was okay for me to be gay and like I could come out.
    And then there's me... I mean I do love singing and I'm into musicals, but I don't have that stereotypical "gay voice" at all and I know for sure I'm no where near the picture society paints of a gay guy. I like watching hockey and soccer and I know my friends I haven't come out to definitely think I'm straight...