1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the lgb and the T grouped together

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MrSmooth, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yes I have read through some threads who are clearly disrespcting Christians, They have but some of you guys just don't see it as bad or wrong, And I never said gays can't b Christians but it seems like everyone always got something negative to say about Christians because of few bad experiences.

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't think any of us have to room with you...? Look. In case you didn't notice,

1) I don't give age passes to people. I don't care if you're 14 and spewing the same shit. If you're on a forum, making posts, then you have to expect people aren't going to handle you with kid gloves.

2) I'm a guy with a vagina. I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what your issue is.

3) You just proved my point. You don't respond to posts, you just whine about something. Really doesn't make you look like, as I think you said, a 'serious' 17 year old.

3. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

I was being sarcastic you don't have to comment you can leave Idc, And I meant that you act like I don't know shit I'm not dumb shows how smart you are.

4. willycubed28

You sure do know a lot of people because you cannot get away from "You all" or "Everyone". Not everyone is making negative comments about Christians. Their are Christians out there who are very accepting and loving, and caring. I know this, and I am sure that a lot of people on this forum know this. So stop saying "everyone" because not everyone is doing it.

5. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well some people here don't act like it thats generalizing. Not everyone is against you guys and I didn't say everyone was doing it just some.

6. willycubed28

Okay, I am done with this conversation. Think whatever you want to think. Believe whatever you want to believe.

7. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll agree with you MrSmooth, to some extent, trans* people have been thrown under the bus by the gay rights movement in the past. But I feel that's changing, look at California, look at Nicole Maines court victory in ME. The momentum has been slower for trans* rights, but it's starting to build. And why you can't say it's true that every LGB person fights for trans* rights, a lot of us have and do. Society has lumped LGB and trans* people together, but we also have come together in the past. We'd all be in prison right now if it weren't for the trans* people( and no not drag queens, some of them where actually trans*) who got in the face of police at Stonewall. I know it seems like forever right now, but trans* people are starting to get more positive exposure in the general public. Again, I know we LGB people haven't always made sure that trans* rights advanced at the same rate, but I can't help but wonder if that positive exposure that trans* people are finally rightfully receiving would have been possible if LGB people hadn't received any positive exposure in society.

Look, I know you and me are different. Although I understand the concept of being trans*, I'll never truly know what it's like to not have your gender match your brain chemistry. Just as I am certain you understand the concept of homosexuality, but will never truly know what it is like to love someone that is the same gender as you. However, we both know what it's like to have society deny our very existence or to tell us we are somehow evil because of innate characteristics. We shouldn't look for ways to tear each other down. Rather, we do need each other's help. Like I stated before in the past it took brave trans* people to help even get the most basic of LGBT rights(like the right not to be imprisoned). Think about it, I'm not Carson from Queer Eye. If I had too under threat of loss of freedom, I could pass as straight. But many trans* people have a harder time hiding their transition and thus were more visible in those early struggles, when there was much much more societal pressure to stay closeted. Thankfully, now we have many straight allies as well, whose support we needed to come as far as we have. What I'm trying to say is that why L,G,B, and T are not all the same, we do need each other in order to keep this train rolling forward. Together we can achieve what would be impossible if we were 4 separate groups competing against each other.

8. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its my sex that doesn't match my brain chemistry my gender is male theres a difference but out of all people you got what I meant by different, Thats what I was talking about was both groups will never truly understand eachother unless your a homosexual trans person, my only point was we don't even understand eachother because there different situations, So how can we fight when can't get eachother necause you don't know how I feel and vice versa, They can add any letter they want, Yea we all may get discriminated against but we don't again understand eachothers.

9. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How could Caucasian people fight alongside African-American people during the Civil Rights Movements of the 1960s? These two groups had fundamentally different cultures and identities. True, one group can learn about the cultural and identity experiences of the other,(just as LGB people can learn about trans* people and vice versa) but they could never a white person can never truly know how it is to be black and be a part of that culture just a black person can never truly know what is to be a part of white culture. Yet people from both these cultures fought alongside each other because we are all human and it was the right thing to do. You and I are different, but we both are people. I support gay rights of course. But I also support trans* rights. As well as gender and racial/cultural equality. Why? Because all these rights are human rights. If we promote a more egalitarian society for all humans, we all benefit. I'm gay. But I'm also a white male. I've enjoyed more than my fair share of both white and male privilege throughout my life. However, I would gladly give up these privileges, even if they've helped me personally. I would do this because in the end it would benefit me. Sure, I've been treated preferentially because of my ethnic heritage and my genitalia. However, the same society who gave me preferred treatment because of those things also discriminated against me upon discovering I was gay. So although I initially benefited from it, a society that was built upon inherently discriminatory principles eventually(and easily) turned on me. That realization led me to believe that equality for some truly is equality for none. That, my friend, is why I sincerely believe we must support equal rights for all people, not just the groups we identify with. And that is why we should, and must, help one another.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Let me ask you this. Do you have to be a woman to care about women's rights? Do you have to be black to care about civil rights? What about immigration reform? Do you have to be an immigrant? Or gay rights? Do you have to be gay to support gay marriage? Does anyone have to be transgender to support transgender rights?

No.

You simply have to be a decent human being. The key is, empathy.

When transwomen are being rounded up and detained in Greece, no one has to be transsexual to say it's wrong. When female infants are being left to die at birth, no one has to be female to protest for their rights to live. When gay people are beaten and killed in Russia, no one has to be gay to say that's not right. When discrimination happens, when one human being is denied life or equality for whatever reason- why must one be part of their group to understand their plight?

Your problems are not unique. Your problems are not exclusive.

Everyone on this planet wants acceptance, wants to live their life without fear. Everyone wants opportunity.

And what kind of person would seek to deny anyone that right or say they're more equal than others?

Being a minority does not exclude you from being a bigot. You don't get a free pass because you're trans. You have every right to equality as the next guy. And no one should be denied it, regardless of gender. Regardless of sexuality, sex, race, nationality, social class, etc.

When you play the game of Opression Olympics, no one wins. When everyone's fighting over who's better and more deserving, no one wins.

Disregard this if you must but I'll say it again- we only win when everyone has the same opportunities for a better life. We only win when we all band together.

11. Sarcastic Luck

To be frank, from everything I've read here and in prior threads, I honestly feel like pointing at the word 'troll'. Every thread ends up being the same an takes the same route.

Bluntly put, if you're not a troll and are actually seeking help, you need to stop this particular path. At this rate, you're going to alienate everyone here and they're going to refuse to try and help you because you apparently, only want to listen to those who you agree with.

12. Just Jess

Mr Smooth I think you have made your position on things pretty clear, and I don't think you're going to change your mind. Would that be a fair way of looking at things?

13. suninthesky

Well said. Everything I was thinking but in all the right words.

14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No offense but I don't get it. Why would they change your Birth Certificate to match your gender identity? You were biologically born a male for example but you identify as female. You were technically born Male and that doesn't change. They don't change your birth certificate to include your new last name so why would they modify it for your gender. Should they allow you to use the gender identity on a Government ID and VISA? Yes because that's how you identify yourself now, not how you did when you were first born.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it is ridiculous that they don't change the birth certificates. In many states now, that's the only thing that you cannot change. I'm getting the gender on my ID and my social security changed. It's annoying, that the birth certificate is the only thing that you cannot change..

16. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To put it blundly, I think Geek is asking why you would even want to change your birth certificate, because you were born like it shows (biologically anyway) and all the birth certificate contains is information of your birth, not the present.
    (to be honest I'm also curious about this)
    I apologize in advance if I misinterpreted Geek's question.

17. Claudette

Claudette Guest

You can change them, however for many states it requires you to finish SRS first. Maryland however is one of the few that will change it prior to SRS,
    Ohio,Idaho and Kansas are some of the few that will not change the sex period, Kansas will not even change it to reflect your new name

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, that I can understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong but how important's the birth certificate anyway? Could I, for instance, simply go through to the DMV and SS and as long as my gender matches up through social security and legal documents, I'll be fine?

Like in my state, I'll need a therapist's letter to change my gender through the DMV and through Social security.

Edit- never mind

http://www.basicrights.org/uncategorized/victory-birth-certificates-for-transgender-oregonians/

19. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's exactly what I was getting at. Nailed it right on the head. Honestly I'm not as knowledgeable about Transgendered rights as I should be. Which is what I was getting at. " all the birth certificate contains is information of your birth, not the present."

20. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You'd think so, but it's a legal document a lot of people use to verify your identity. So if a transperson wants to go "stealth", not being able to update the document could potentially out them as trans, possibly compromising their safety.

And...Seriously, I don't want to hand out my birth certificate, when I've got a full beard and abs, and have it say "Betsy Sue Winchestette- Female". That'd be awkward.