1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the lgb and the T grouped together

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MrSmooth, Feb 16, 2014.

1. suninthesky

Although your birth certificate is a record of the past, it is used for many things in the present.

For example: if you lose or have your social security car stolen, to replace it you need a BC, sometimes getting a driver's license and passport, or enrolling in school.

If a transperson is living stealth, and has to use his/her birth certificate for something, it effectively outs him/her. In some cases, this can be unsafe.

2. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So it's a matter of inconvenience? In terms of being outted. It's usually really obvious if someone is transgendered

3. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Not really especially for transguys trust me its not as easy anymore testostrone works miracles not to sure about estrogen.

#143 MrSmooth, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Sarah257

Ok, I may have said I was done with this thread earlier, (and I am in response to the actual topic) but Geek, while it may be true that some transgender people are obvious, not all are, especially after a while into hormones. Go do a quick image search. I've seen spectacular results in a number of people. Please don't make generalizing sweeps like that, such statements cause many of us transgendered people distress.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Or so you'd think. Doesn't mean someone doesn't deserve life to be a little easier. Enough cispeople are androgynous enough or feminine/masculine enough that they don't look "perfectly" like their birth sex- even Justin Bieber doesn't pass as male.

It's often a matter of safety. Assault/murder rates towards transpeople are disportionately high. In some areas, being outed could be dangerous.

6. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I agree. I'm a dress a little feminine. I may act a little feminine. I certainly do not look female much to my dismay. I feel I'm crossdressing when I'm in male clothing yeah I pass for male much easier than female. in my area I would be seen as an effeminate gay man. I am actually more lesbian than a gay man. I would go with the right guy if they were the "right male" but I definitely like women more. I am seeing a therapist to begin hormones and hopefully they take. but I disagree that all transgendered people are obvious.:icon_bigg

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I may...

[​IMG]

^ FTM (female to male) transman

[​IMG]

^ MTF (male to female) transwoman

8. Ruthven

^ lol you got him fox.

And oh how I love Balian, he was one of the first guys that helped give me hope and inspiration and all that jazz.

9. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first time I saw Balian I literally almost shat myself. I had only just learned about FTM transfolk and I had no idea that someone born female could become so ruggedly male.

10. suninthesky

It's not just a matter of inconvenience; it's a matter of safety. Violence against the trans community is very disproportionate.

EDIT: (oops, realized someone has already said that^)

I think to people it seems like it's obvious if someone is trans, but that's only because they only notice the people that don't completely pass. Those of us that completely pass don't get noticed, and therefore don't get taken into account. It's kind of interesting to think that both of us may have had interaction with transpeople, and even being trans myself I may still never know.

#150 suninthesky, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Right? He was one of the first guys I knew about, thus giving me highly unrealistic expectations about me in ten years.

12. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

This thread is like a train wreck; don't wanna stare but you can't look away.

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    p much yeah.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It's like a Chiquita truck crashed into the subway and the screaming passerbys are slipping on peels.

:lol:

15. Ruthven

16. anonym

anonym Guest

Mr Smooth

I am not gay or bisexual but I am very much offended by your assumptions about LGB people. You are insulting my friends who have stood by me as I have come out as trans, not because they are GAY but because they are PEOPLE who CARE above anything else.

This is an LGBTQ FORUM and although you are very much entitled to your opinions on the LGB community, here is not the place to be insulting people who are here to support each other. I am not reading this thread any more after this post but you have made your opinions very clear and it makes me wonder why you chose to join EC. It actually is coming across as though you would be happier starting your own forum for heterosexual, anti-lgb transsexuals.

17. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That makes sense, didn't really realise that you actually need your birth certificate on some occasions, since that's the case I can understand why people want it changed.
    Sorry if I offended anyone with the question.

18. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean by not 'agreeing with it'?

I've heard a lot of people say 'I think being gay is wrong but I accept gays'. If you're like that, then, no, you don't accept gays. It's not acceptance to choose pity over hatred, or to hide your disapproval in order to be civil to someone.

They could and did. Martin Luther King's movement included a lot of white allies. Including JFK.

19. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Toleration and acceptance are different, yeah.

20. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

You all resize that "caucasian" technically refers to people from the mountainous Caucasus region of eastern Europe. Caucasian is technically not PC.

Btw ... I'm just in a smart ass mood right now

MrSmooth, I will just say this; you claim christianity. I'd tell you, and every other Christian or Catholic I know that Jesus preached against religions that didn't change over time. Pharisees were THE religious authorities of their day in judaism. They were by the letter faithful to their religious law, yet they were the ones that Jesus had such issues with (btw ... I'm not religious but I'm defending the historical Jesus' perspective). He also pardoned whores (Mary Magdalene), had frequent visits to an EXTREMELY unconventional Family unit for contemporary Jews ("sisters" Mary and Martha and Lazarus ... Unmarried Jewishadults, no children, living together? Pretty queer by their standards of the day ...)