1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the lgb and the T grouped together

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MrSmooth, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So if we don't hide ourselves away, we're being pushy?

I just want to be honest and not get attacked for that. That's what LGB people want too, and that's what trans people want.

It's not the same as racism because a) you can't hide your skin colour and b) most people have parents of the same race as them (or partly the same, if they're mixed-race). A black person doesn't agonize over whether he'll be kicked out if he tells his parents he's black. Even when the rest of the world is racist, their family's in the same boat as them.

Now, some disabilities would be closer to LGBT experience. I know of a lot of undiagnosed or late-diagnosed autistic people who are struggling with whether to fake neurotypical or be honest about their disability. Basically the same things that LGB and trans people go through. But if we do come out as disabled, the prejudice we face is more pity instead of hatred, so that's different.

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I've never heard someone just say LGB. I've always heard the T, and now I even hear the Q. And Mr.Smooth for someone who says that people don't even know what the T stands for, you're one of them.

I have said before (repeatedly), T is for Transgender. Transgender does not just mean Transsexual. The T is in the title for everyone that falls under the Transgender category.

What you really are saying is that you want TRANSSEXUALS to have their own group separate from the LGBT(Q) to fight for rights when it comes to changing gender on papers and having rights to marry whom you want.

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I reckon unity is awesome. Of course people don't always get along. There's some fighting between LGBT. I've seen lesbians reject transwomen and gay men shelter them. That's not representative of LGBT as a whole. I think the T belongs with GLB. We all want acceptance.

You don't have to be our straight ally. You can go live a heterosexual lifestyle while others fight for your trans rights. Maybe you've got enough in your life already.

I got experience with the gay community and I'm a kinkster... but I'm scared to go to those LGBT places! The last time my bf went to a LGBT centre, he said everyone told sob-stories, cried, and then played PS3... it doesn't sound that bad! I stand up for LGBT, but not as much as I'd like to yet. This has made me think if anything.

4. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Not really eventually once I physically transition I'm not calling myself trans, After Ive fullly transitioned theres no need to, I just don't see it that ways though whole part of the trans is because your in the process of transitioning or already did. Its not an idenity I'm just a man after all this is done. And as Ive already stated I have more straight allies than anything else, I don't even have full on gay friends really don't care to.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2014 at 08:27 AM ----------

I mean I support all of that I just don't care to be apart of it. I feel everyone should have rights.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2014 at 08:29 AM ----------

Dude I already know tranagender is an umbrella term I dom't care though alot of that stuff can get really confusing but I respect everyones idenity and sexually, I'm not slow.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2014 at 08:35 AM ----------

No I mean holding up picket signs and putting rainbows everywhere which by the way God made and it has nithing to do with the lgb or athletic stars and preachers having to apologize for saying anything rude about gay people is a bit pushy. Or familys dying because you take everything to heart about them stating there beliefs. but as a black guy we fought for acceptance we faced discrimination got beat up on the dam streets so don't give me that bs someone already stated here that it probaly would be put here

5. willycubed28

What I really want to understand is why are you putting all gay people in a box and saying "You all do this" "You all do that". Gay people are people. Their are gay people who don't like other gay people. Their are lesbians who don't like gay men and vice versa. This is called being a human being. We are all different. We like the people that we like, and then we dislike others for what ever reasons. You have made some general statements about gay people that are unfounded and not true. If you do not consider yourself transgender then why are you so heated about the T being a part of the LGB. Why are you against division of a community?

Like I have stated before Empty Closets is for people to come and be who they are. It is for people to come and feel accepted. It isn't just for the LGB, but for everyone including the T, the Q and everyone else. If what you are saying is true, then basically what you are saying is that Empty Closets doesn't need to be for everyone, because you think a certain group of people shouldn't be a part of the Lesbian, Gay, Bi, and Questioning community, and that is wrong.

Also think about this just because your friends see you as a man, it doesn't mean the rest of the world does and or will. Yes, you may not care what other's think about you but it doesn't change the fact that they will see you differently than your friends do. It is just like me being gay. My friends just see me as a guy who likes guys. Society though may look at me, and see me being a disgusting person who likes the same sex.

If you really are that sure about The "T" being apart from the LGB community then start a T group in your area. Make your voice be heard and fight for "your" community. If you do not wish to be a part of the bigger picture of what the LGBT group is trying to do then that is fine. Start your own group, but do not put down others for wanting to be a part of the bigger picture, because I am very sure that not all transgender community feels the same way about it like you do.

6. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So maybe abortion, getting stds, And diseses like cancer and aids should be put in they all face discrimination to where people don't even wanna touch them lgb is not the only people who face discrimonation

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2014 at 08:45 AM ----------

And I wasn't trying to throw all of you in a box by the way. And do you think I give a damn about what anyone else thinks?? I don't need to be heard like you guys do if you know who you are just do you.

7. willycubed28

So you are saying that we shouldn't fight for our rights? Basically that is what you are saying. You are saying for us to be quiet. To be silent. We have been silenced long enough. We want our voice to be heard, and you are telling me that we just basically need to keep quiet.

8. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To reply to the main question:
    LGB and T people are fighting for equal rights, that's basically it (that includes Gay Marriage and being able to change your gender on your Birth Certificate).
    Now I might not be "qualified" to say much about the T because I do not "understand" how they feel or even how they are treated, but if you look at the basics of what both groups are fighting for, it's the same thing.
    Isn't it wonderful that the two groups are able to join together and fight for the rights they both deserve?
    While it's true that LGB usually gets more attention than T, and that not all LGB people take T into account, that doesn't mean the "union" so to speak, is useless for Trans people.
    It's been mentioned before, this will be a gateway for Trans people as well.
    If you compare rights now to.. say 100 years ago, we've come a long way, both LGB AND T.
    It would be a lot tougher for both groups if they were fighting for their rights individually, I'm glad it is one big group, as I can't think of anything positive about them being seperated.
    Of course there are differences, but that doesn't take away the fact that working together is better than working alone.
    These are just my thoughts, I'm not trying to argue.

Aaron.

9. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Its causing more issues because some people who here about it will never accept it, And its making them angry because they believe its weong, Thats more hate crimes waiting to happen. Ive heard many of my other hetero friends say that you guys are annoying you never give anyone a chance to accept you you just push it which can get annoying like people who walk around with rainbows you scare people off like thatjust be yourself and again don't just come out and be like oh yea I'm gay let them get to see you as a normal person before you just come out.

#89 MrSmooth, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, why not throw in mental disorders as well. I know discrimination. Loads of people do. I'm sick to f**king death of people that say mental disorders don't exist. I wish they could suffer it for just a year and then they'd shut up! I believe in standing up for quite a lot. I'll fight tooth and nail. You don't have to, man, so I don't see what the problem is. If you don't want to be a part then don't.

11. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I still say that, if Mr Smooth sees that everyone should be able to be themselves then it shouldn't matter to him if LGB includes the T our not. Isn't that what its all about? Making ourselves visible in a common goal of social acceptance? Whether he cases or not about what society thinks of him personally, why is it relevant to the usage of LGBT(Q) by anyone our everyone else. I'm sorry but it just seems to me that he wants to argue a moot point.

Basically, use LGBT(Q) as you see fit.. If you wasn't to, do. If you don't, then don't. Plain and simple.:bang:

12. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

This is more of a debate, Like everyone who keeps commenting and jumping on my balls doesn't right..... Just be yourself.

13. anonym

anonym Guest

What I mean is that while we may be men minus the trans identity once we've transitioned, we were not 'born' men which puts us in a minority and there may be times when our rights as post hormone, post surgery transsexuals might need fighting for so in my opinion, we shouldn't reject the lgbt community which will fight our corner when cis people may not.

So what you're saying is you don't actually know many gay people, which would explain why your views are coming across as skewed. Not all gay people hold picket signs and put up rainbows you know. I think if you got to know some gay people with the same interests as yourself (I know you said you don't care to BUT say you did) you might be surprised to find that we have more in common than you think. You don't think it takes balls for a gay guy or lesbian to come out to their parents? I have to tell you it is coming across as though you have all of these misconceptions about lgbt people and this is why you want the t but specifically, the 'transsexual' part of the transgender umbrella to be separate. Seriously I don't often get angry on here but please...get some 'real' idea of the lgbt community before you start questioning the unity of these letters.

14. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Dude I was born a guy just with the wrong parts, I was never a female, And know one was born a man you have to grow into one. i'm not always gonna be trans and have you talked to every cis person on this earth. And I do know alot of gays and bisexuals but I just happen to have straight friends, Ive had bisexuals friends but quite few of them were asses, And complained all the time. Its not that I don't understand I just don't really care to.

#94 MrSmooth, Feb 17, 2014
  15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that what acronym is trying to say is that society does not see us as boys when we were born. We were not assigned male at birth, so that puts into a minority when we identify as male.

You say that you don't care to have gay friends. May I ask why? I mean, how can you know how a group of people are if you've never met any in person? Doesn't that view seem a bit odd since you don't know any gay people?

Not all gay people are out there parading around with rainbows, and to make that assumption is offensive to some.

16. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do know gay people, I just said Ive had bisexual friends, They kinda get on my nerves to be honest, Trust my school has alot of gay people.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just because they get on your nerves does not mean that the whole community is like that though. There are other trans* people that get on my nerves, but the whole community is not like that. There are people at my university that annoy me, but the whole school is not like that.

Don't make assumptions on an entire group of people based on a few people from that group.

18. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Well I'm also religious and have beliefs Ill associate with them but I will not be close friends with them. I'm not making assumptions you asked me a question and I answered it.

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Religious beliefs should not get in the way of a friendship. If you are really their friend, you'll accept them as they are. I've been on both sides (as a previous christian myself). There will come a time where you have to decide what is more important to you. Your identity, or yourself. Trans* people are not well liked in many church circles. I've been burned, and I wouldn't wish the pain that I went through on my worst enemy. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it's something to be aware of. You don't want to be blindsided.. like I was.

^^that is the definition for assumption.

This is an example of making an assumption based on a small part of a population.

20. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

My relationship with God is more important than anything I do accept them but I damn sure don't have to agree with them. And alot of you guys here throw Christians in a box, Oh but know wnats to say anything about that, Thats another reason I have a problem with homosexuals, everytime somebody say something its homophobic.

#100 MrSmooth, Feb 17, 2014