1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you realise you were gay? or have you always known?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mr D, May 16, 2010.

1. xCrazyInsanity

I honestly *knew* around when the whole 'attraction' thing came to be an issue (10/11ish?)

But i went into denial about everything.

then when I couldn't keep hiding my sexuality, the boyishness kinda burst out and things slowly started making sence (last year.. so 14?)

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I liked guys always. I remember being in kindergarten (no lie) and sleeping over a friends house and fantasizing about them (of course I didnt know that meant I was gay at the time). And then I denied and and tried to find ways to stop it from happening and change it. I'll admit, I dropped acid once hoping it would change things, but all it really did was brought to light the fact that it wouldn't change and I became a lot more accepting of it around my first year of college, like 3 years ago. But I didnt start coming out to people till about two and a half years ago.

3. I was around 11 when I came out to myself. Before then, I can't remember "liking" guys, but I probably did.

4. settlingsound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was around... 11 that I started getting interested in guys more than girls. Girls have never been an interest to me, they always seemed gross lol; but I always repressed it and acted that I liked girls till I was 16... now I kinda regret not being open about it earlier but meh oh well =)

5. ANightDude

Since I was 10, but I showed the signs of it all the way back at 8 or 7. It never was tough for me coming to terms with myself, oddly enough, until later in life.

6. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I wouldn't say that I always knew I was trans but looking back even from an early age I could see that signs were certainly there.

With sexuality I first thought I was just a gay man (about 11-13) but when I was 14 I realised that I was transgender and I thought I was a straight female but now I am attracted to both men and women and have no real preference so I tell people I'm bisexual even though I prefer the term sexually flexible

7. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Looking back with hindsight probably the signs were there from about the age of 13. I.e. paying attention to hot guys and not being turned on in the slightest my any female. Also other thing's such as rather than paying much attention to the good looking female lead in a film instead it would be the guy that would draw my eye. There were other signs that make it obvious now but for what ever reason I denied it and hid it.

Then one day when i was about 20 it hit me that being attracted to guys and not girls made me gay. Although it seams a stupid thing to say it shocked me for realising something so obvious. The openly gay part is still being worked on!

8. Poko

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not untill my puberty. But when you look back you can recognise what you felt when you saw that boy and felt a kind of attraction back when you were 11.

9. AnneChaos

AnneChaos Guest

Around 7/8 but as I didn't know people could like boys and girls I was kind of confused. I did know I like boys and I did know I like girls, but I thought I would grow up and just go for one of the sides. But I was never in denial, I always thought I could go for girls and I never had a problem with it.

Bisexuality came in the 6th/7th grade.

10. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am still unsure! i swear to god, if this is one of those phases , i will curse the universe for my entire life!

11. Colton

I don't know. I mean, I think I realized I liked looking at guys when I was like, 10 or 11, but I thought it was just a phase. And back in December was when I realized I was bisexual.

12. Inhuman

Hmm well I always identified as a female when I was young (under grade 7) but I never considered the possibility of me being androsexual(gay man/straight woman) because 1) I wasn't yet. I distinctly remember being into the ladies. and 2) I thought Christians couldn't turn out gay (HAHA God can bite my ass)

At the beginning of grade 7 I started having this weird level of ... what I can only describe as 'respect' for the bodies of the other boys in my grade. I was really horrified to be quite honest, because of the homophobic ideas in my mind at the time and the religious indoctrination I'd accommodated.
    I also had 0 concept of the idea ''bisexual'' at that time. I thought of bisexuality only as a weird deviation of homosexuality, and I thought of homosexuality as a weird deviation of heterosexuality(which from a Darwinian perspective I suppose it is).

(ironically, my gender identity switched from female to male right around the same time that I learned I liked guys more than girls)

Because I didn't know bisexuality existed, I assumed I was gay by being attracted to guys and somewhere along the lines I forgot I was into chicks and really just stopped being into chicks. Ironically, my interest in females diminished while I was worrying about the ''problem'' of my being attracted to males. xD

Over the next few years, I squashed all my sexual feelings and became a frigid, angry, bitter, confused little Christian. My gender identity also switched to agendered. Over this past year (grade 10 2009/2010) I finally decided to accept thing for how they are . . . but to this day I'm still not 100% sure I identify as gay.
    I'm no longer confused, no longer a Christian, and no longer so bitter. I'm still sexually frigid (the evidence of which in the fact that I dislike even the idea of kissing) but I'm feeling better every month. I'm also still mostly agendered which I see as a good addition to my identity as a person. Lesson learned: time can heal most wounds . . . if we live long enough.

My God, what a story.

#72 Inhuman, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  13. Eric

It kinda came strangely to me because I was sorta into girls when I was younger. Not physically attracted, but definitely into their personalities. I guess I probably thought it was the norm. This lasted until around puberty then I realised I actually didn't feel turned on by girls.

I don't think I showed any signs either. I still don't 'show' any.

14. BrettV

I have memories dating back to when I was 5, or so.

15. VampConspiracy

I realized I wasn't exactly straight somewhere between four and six years ago (my memories of the past contain the content, but not a timestamp...)

After that long while, pushing it back, even saying I was straight when it was brought up by a counselor, it was the exact point in time when I joined this forum that I stopped denying my bisexuality. I thought it may have been a stage, but now that I think about the stuff I did when I was about eight...

...it's not surprising.

16. BrettV

I honestly knew when I was around 5 years old. I wanted to play with barbies but wasn't really allowed. the programming began then and ended last year when I nearly lost my mind. I'm still working on it.

17. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

In a sense I always knew but I pushed those thoughts aside. Then when I was 13, after not going to church for like a year this guy named David came to my head. He went to my Mom's church and as I kid I thought he was hot. Well, as I kid I thought that I just found him "cool" lol.

Well i wanted to see what he looked like so I went to church with my Mom one week. The minute I saw him I was shocked at how hot he was lol and to make matters worse when I walked past him he said something like "'sup buddy?" or something. Now I know that's nothing, but crushing get like that lol. I had a crush on him and I went to church with my Mom every week for a year, that's around the same time depression started kicking in. I finally took myself out of the situation. I stopped going to church with my Mom and I haven't been back to that church since. I go to private/catholic school so they make us go to church like every other week or something.

18. I guess I've always known i was bi...

19. trannydude

i was always different, and a tomboy. but i liked guys, so i grew up pretty confused. bt by the time i was 9 i figured out i wsnted to be a boy. came out at 14 (2 months ago) to mom, dad, 2 bffs, and granny. i love mayself and all that i am! <3

20. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    I came home crying in the third grade because something, for some reason, had made me worry that I might be gay. After that, I let it go, my mom said I was too young to know. Later, had a major crush on one of my best guy friends, but it didn't click that what I felt was nothing sexual. At all. I made the connection at 16. Everything makes sense now. Lol