1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky547

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Enjoying my day off. :slight_smile:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, 16-17 is young but plenty of transguys who happily transitioned that young. I can get that. Teenaged years, full of hormones and identity crises, so there's a natural instinct to want to wait until the kid's 100%. Puberty's probably when most people figure out they're trans, but jury's out depending on individual.

16 seems appropriate if the kid's gotten to therapy, knows he wants it, and is mature enough to deal with any and all possibilities (such as accepting the fact that detransition is an acceptable option if he finds he's not sure about being a man; body changes that may not seem pleasant, etc). It'd be a kid wanting to medically transition before puberty I'd be more worried about. Most kids who exhibit cross gender behavior that young tend to be gay or lesbian as opposed to transgender. I believe it's possible for a child to transition that young and live a happy, productive life but all depends on being mindful of the child's needs and decisions.

Anyway...yeah.

Personally? I'm not planning on medically transitioning for another couple years. I want to at least have my associate's degree, be completely independent, and hopefully have at least a year of therapy lined up (Got other issues besides dysphoria, lord knows)

3. Hexagon

I was 16 when I started transition. If I hadn't, I would have killed myself. I'm not looking for your sympathy in that or anything, I'm just saying that harm can be done by not allowing people to transition.

I think people who know they aren't ready won't do it. Simple as that. But most of us just want normal lives in our true gender, and why should we have to suffer through years of depression to get that?

4. Nick07

I told you that I knew there were people who had been sure very early.
    I am just surprised at how many teenagers come here saying I read about trans* not long ago and I think it fits me and I start to think that transition would be great for me...

I think that a person needs a lot of time to think such a big step through.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm guessing some people think it's a "maturity" issue, and since most young people make a lot of choices they end up regretting, they think the outcome might be the same for this (and since it's one of those things you can't ever reverse at a certain stage...)

Really, it's entirely circumstantial, and if someone's health is seriously being impacted over the long-term, it's worth a shot, if nothing else. The individual knows what's best for themselves, and either way, living as a transgender is no walk in the park. I read a study, and the majority of transsexuals actually transition well into adulthood, so this decision is definitely something many people spend years struggling with.

6. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I doubt I will be able to beat Pacman highscore. o.o

7. Ohhai

So tired meh

8. DrkRayne

Eating healthy sucks. Screw these apples...i want fries!!!!! I HATE WHEN MY WIFE GOES ON HEALTH KICKS!!!

9. Siarad

Frustrating day at work, hate seeing my profession so undervalued in this setting when I think it's right up there with the most important aspects of recovery!

10. Ohhai

I have a job interview tomorrow. The interview includes an exam. I don't do exams. Or interviews.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Fuck my life.

Not passing well. Fucking humiliating, changing in the women's room just to get away with a binder and even then, not passing well enough for it to be of any use. No one for one second believes I'm a man. Guy was fucking checking me out. Checking out books, getting my legal name used and being too fucking embarrassed to correct them with a line behind me. Can't open my mouth without outing myself- only people who even know I'm supposed to be a guy are my professors, advisors, who I'd informed ahead of time.

Dysphoric as hell and there's really no outlets. Even fucking college I can't pass as a man. I can't look in the mirror and see those fucking hips and tits anymore and know everyone's well aware I'm that chick who changes into men's clothing every fucking day.

Parents sincerely don't give a shit about my gender. And I can't make them care. My mom's so fucking passive aggressive I can't take it. They think it's easy, living like this? That I can just fucking drop this and be their fucking little princess?

Just fuck everything, alright?

12. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

13. Cascade

Of course, OF COURSE we're not meeting today, AGAIN! It's only the 10th time you've rescheduled in A WEEK! It's always some excuse at the last second so you leave me hoping and then you take it away. I am so close to being done with you, it isn't even funny, it's sad because anyone else would have left you behind long ago, but I'm too nice.

14. Nick07

hmm, yes, I think the way you put it fits.
    I repeat, I know there are people who know it from their childhood. But there are those who doubt and to tell the truth, I feel quite a lot of pressure toward transition.
    You know..."if you are not dysphoric, you are not trans enough, if you don't care how your body looks, you are not trans*, if you don't want transition, you are not trans* either."

And those who doubt can easily get an impression that being trans* equals wanting to transition.

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2013 at 07:47 PM ----------

If I were you, I would really think why the person is doing it. To show you their dominance? To play games?
    I would also think why I am willing to allow them such behavior towards me.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, Hexagon has never seemed to me the type who would blindly rush into such a life-changing decision at all, but you're right: there is somewhat of a 'hierarchy' from what I've seen, and there shouldn't, since every person and their circumstances are different. Not every transsexual person knows from an early age, not every trans person is suicidal, and so forth.

Are gay people ever too young to know? To come out? To start dating and engaging in sexual activities with someone of the same sex? Someone in Hexagon's position, who is adamant that *this* is who they are, and *this* is what they need, is probably not going to be swayed one way or another if they do their homework beforehand.

And judging from his posts on EC, it was the right choice for him.

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a thought, but if the person has done this several times now already, it's time to follow the lead of the others. From the sounds of it, you are already done with them. Time to put yourself first, and what you feel is best for you.

17. ScatteredEarth

Ah I've adopted my father's taste in music. 80's music is damn good.

18. Miss Loopy

Thinking people need to learn to use paragraphs!

19. Nick07

I believe this conversation didn't start with Hexagon in mind. I am far from telling him he made a mistake :grin:

And comparing it to the orientation isn't entirely accurate I think. Because you can 'sleep around' and test you feelings, but it's nearly impossible to do the same with your doubts about your gender.

You are right about the homework :slight_smile: And in my opinion, it takes time.

20. Cascade

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm slightly less frustrated now that I'm done venting. I won't let him walk all over me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.