1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally Lost

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Lost One, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

I heard you guys play and sing in the other thread. You two are incredibly talented :eusa_clap. Lost, your Mad World made me so sad, I don't know why, but I guess that's good, right? Anyway, those recordings really drove it home for me that it is real, flesh-and-bone people on the other side of the screen; sometimes it is easy to forget that. (Taking my hat off to you)

For anyone who missed it:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/1870550-post65.html

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/1873835-post71.html

2. The Lost One

Thanks Aquaman!

I have to say, putting that recording on the internet was much easier to do than actually singing/playing in front of a live person. And yes, I agree, Mad World is a sad song. It's one of my favourites. It's too bad you can't hear the exceptional sound quality of my digital piano. It sounds very realistic compared to most that are out there (sampled from a grand piano).

How was your weekend? Mine was good. I finally joined 2014 and had cable installed. I'm now a little concerned I will never leave my apartment again. The winning channel so far seems to be HGTV. I love watching anything related to home buying/renovating, etc.

3. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Well, I look forward to hearing another performance by you, now that we know you dont suffer of digital stage fright. Do you know "chasing cars" by Snow Patrol? I love that song!

I am working today, kind of a blessing in disguise, because i had a crappy saturday, just feeling very lonely after attending a wedding on friday.

Dude! I would die without cable. They can cut the internet and the water first, but please dont cut my cable! My TV is my best friend LOL! I guess i like "international house hunters" if i watch HGTV; but only when they are in Europe :slight_smile:

4. The Lost One

Hey,

I like chasing cars by Snow Patrol a lot. I don't know the piano yet but I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to learn. Maybe I'll give it go.

Sorry to hear you were feeling lonely. I agree that weddings can sometimes make you feel that way. I am invited to my cousin's wedding this summer and don't really want to go. I am happy for her but if I'm STILL single and have to attend another wedding alone...

I like International House Hunters as well!

5. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

I could drop dead. Please don't mess with my emotions like that! :icon_wink

It's all good. I have been to weddings many times, and they had always been just a party, like a birthday or whatnot; but this was truly the first time I felt so self-conscious and out of place; that had not happened before. I've been wearing my heart on my sleeve lately, and it really kicked my butt during the wedding.

Last week i would have told you "you have to go to your cousin's wedding!" but right now, i can kind of see where you're coming from. I'm starting to miss the days when I repressed everything in a little box in the back of my brain.

But on a bright note, I did have to get a tie and handkerchief for my suit, and remembered you had said something about electric blue being a color? so I asked the lady at the store to help me get something like that (it was a winter-themed wedding) and that's what I got! LOL.

6. frkn frk

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm sorry. I just don't see the dilemma. Heterosexuals only bring up their family as leverage in society. So how in the sam-hell does you coming out solve the turmoil u r going thru. It is self-induced stress.

7. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Aquaman, although I must defer to Lost's stellar rendition of Mad World.

Sorry to hear about the wedding blues. I had a cluster of weddings a couple of summers ago, and got increasingly self-conscious about the single thing with each one. At least at 27 and being in grad school, there were enough other extended adolescents there to hang out with.

Does the wedding you have to go to this summer at least have a dance? Then at least you can get all gussied up, take advantage of free wine, and dance to cheesy top 40 music until you're gross and sweaty. That was always my solace! Plus it turns out I really like buying and wrapping wedding gifts because I'm apparently a cliché.

8. The Lost One

Aquaman,

I'm sure you looked quite dashing with your electric blue pocket square. As for me, I guess Gort's right in that it's an opportunity for a party.

And Gort, seriously, I know I'm kind of stalking you on these forums but where is THE coming out story...the one with your parents?? Maybe it's too personal but if not, please share...like..now. I was thinking about you.....knowing you were going to tell them.

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2014 at 10:04 PM ----------

Nevermind, Gort! I see that you replied elsewhere. You must feel very relieved.

9. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No worries! I typically haven't done the forum things before and I'm surprised at how quickly one gets emotionally invested in total strangers. Something something The Internet and whatnot.

Yep, it's a huuuuuuge relief. I really wish I hadn't made such a big deal of it in my head in retrospect, but I guess that happens. Now as long as I don't turn out the way my mom specifically requested I don't (which was some bizarre blend of oddly specific stereotypes working out to something along the lines of a heavily tattooed bear leather daddy) I'm totally set.

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

Oh, also - and I'm too lazy to go find the other thread to reply directly - I'm totally down for a jam session. Next time I'm down east I'll start wandering around and knocking on doors :slight_smile:

And, incidentally, I hope things are going reasonably well with your folks. I don't imagine dealing with coming out on top of other family stuff would be the most ideal.

10. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Whoa! Easy there, cowboy! There is nothing wrong with Top 40 music! LOL!

I don't know about dashing, but I had told you I was going to take your fashion sense seriously, and I did. It's called "a leap of faith," because for all I know, you dress like a crazy person (but you don't... right?)

This is disgustingly true, and yet, here we are, right? Never fails.

This is so messed up :roflmao: you are not right LOL! On a serious note, good to know things worked out with your parents.

11. The Lost One

Never fear, Aquaman...I'm not crazy and don't dress like a crazy person either.

And Gort, thanks for asking about my parental situation. Things are not great, really. I'm not directly involved in the drama but it's affecting me nonetheless. My current strategy is to avoid my parents. They call me and we talk on the phone as if there's nothing going on with my brother and his wife. It's so messed up. I haven't told them that I've told all of my siblings that I'm gay and we haven't spoken about me being gay since last April. My sister-in-law finds that to be unbelievable. However, in my parents' defence, I did make it clear I did not want to talk about it again (at the the time). So, that's how things stand. Nothing will change unless my father will finally face his drinking problem and get some professional help. None of us are holding our breath. The sad thing is, besides my father, the rest of my family all get along and enjoy spending time with each other. He is the one who is causing so much dysfunction. Anyway, that's a whole other story! I can't deal with their issues as I'm still dealing with my own.

On a positive note, they are calling for a mega storm starting on Thursday. Perhaps the snow gods will give me a snow day. I need it!

12. King

I am sorry to hear of such family difficulties. Hopefully the situation will improve in the near future. Do your brothers and sister in laws know that your other brothers and sister in laws know about your sexuality? If not it may be 'do the know that we know' situation.

13. The Lost One

Thanks for the kind words. As for my siblings...the ones who live nearby all know that each other know of my sexuality. The brother and his wife who live far away...I'm not sure. Though, one of the others probably called them by now. So, it's not a secret among my siblings anymore.

14. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aquaman - I didn't meant to disparage top 40, I just never listen to it anymore so it's a novelty! The only time I used to listen to the radio was when I was driving, and I don't own a car and no longer have to drive a work car, so essentially I have to actively seek out popular songs so I don't seem like I completely live under a rock. The only big song at the Grammy's I heard this year was Get Lucky, and that was only because it was in an episode of New Girl. Maybe now that I'm out I will try to get over my distaste for dance clubs and actually get out occasionally.

Lost - that really sucks. My grandfather's family on my mom's side apparently had a lot of alcoholism issues. They've fortunately mostly managed to peter out in recent generations, so I haven't dealt with it directly (although I have to admit my own drinking was starting to get a little bit out of hand for a while this winter while I was processing things), but I know it can be brutal. And even when you aren't directly involved, I know from experience that parent-sibling issues can take their toll. I'm just sorry you have to deal with the coming out at the same time. I guess the silver lining is your siblings and their spouses sound super supportive so far. Hang in there! I'm not much of a touchy-feely guy, but I'll send a virtual hug. (*hug*)

I have my fingers crossed for a big snow storm for you. Maybe I'll pray to the flying spaghetti monster or something.

15. The Lost One

Thanks for the sympathy, Gort. Normally, I'd be a bundle of nerves with all of this going on. However, I seem to be in a 'zen-like' state for the time being. I think it's because I just can't handle anything further at the moment. Also, I haven't seen my parents in a while so I think that puts some distance there as well. As for coming out, I've kind of reached a stand still. I would probably tell any of my friends if they asked me at this point, but nobody has. I'm supposed to hang with some friends this weekend. I was planning on telling them then but with the impending weather I'm not sure it will happen. I'm not overly concerned. In fact, if news of my sexuality trickled to other people from my siblings I don't think that would bother me either. So, that's progress...right?

Yes, pray to that flying spaghetti monster....hard. :wink:

So Gort, any idea what types of guys you're into? As for me, I have no real idea. I'm not into over the top feminine guys but other than that I think I'm open.

How about you, Aquaman? Do you have specific type? You have more experience than us newbies.

16. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Zen is good! And yeah, that's totally progress. I'm think that once I've told my sister I'll more or less be at that point, I think. (Supposed to have dinner with her tomorrow, but I might have to postpone due to this horrible cold I caught from people at work. Stupid coworkers and their filthy germs.)

As for a type... yeah, I'm not into the over-the-top feminine guys, which makes me feel just the tiniest bit judgemental. But I guess I don't have that much control over that. I must admit that my eye tends to wander to bearded hipster types, although that's not exclusive. I think I just really like any facial hair in general (minus goatees and soul patches, although I wouldn't necessarily call either a dealbreaker). But yeah, same, I think I'm pretty open. Maybe that will narrow down once I try to start being, uh, actively gay? That's apparently what I am calling the period when I start trying to meet people.

17. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

More experience? Sure, why not.

I'm attracted to the nerdy type of guy. Not necessarily the Dungeons & Dragons / Videogame-playing kind of nerd, but more to the very smart, diploma-carrying, bookworm type. Other than that very specific kind of guy, I'd probably say that a completely average "Is he or isn't he?" man is cool as well. I guess almost-hipster-but-not-quite-there is nice too.

By the way... bearded geek, workaholic here, ha-ha!

18. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah yes. Ditto to all of that. Intelligence is hot. And I guess while I'm thinking about less superficial things now, I would like someone who is a bit of a film buff too. I started watching way more movies now that I'm out of school and have time and money to do so (and live two blocks from one of those now-rare rental places). And someone quick-witted. That way if the passion ever died we could fall back on our cheesy vaudevillian comedy act.

And I will also clarify that the "almost-hipster" type was more what I was referring to; like, the well-dressed type, not the type that would be a tough guess when playing "hipster or hobo." Apparently I'm ashamed of my hipsterphilia enough to be concerned about this :icon_wink

19. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Okay, it took me a minute to understand what you were talking about when you said "rental places" LOL I was like "what is he talking about?" Ha-ha! I guess they are THAT rare indeed :grin:

Are these examples of quick wittedness? Ha! I suppose I could learn to live with that.

20. The Lost One

'Actively gay'. I like it. Yes, I also like the 'almost hipsters' as well. I might even be one myself! I have been known to sport a beard from time to time. My hairstyle has morphed from a faux hawk to that brushed up and over to the side kind of style. I like it. It's more 'mature'...because, as hard as it is to believe, I am getting a little long in the tooth.