1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally Lost

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Lost One, Nov 25, 2013.

1. The Lost One

Well, we had another storm here today so we teachers got a snow day. I decided to use this opportunity to tell my neighbour/friend that I'm gay. I did it via text then popped over next door to have a chat. She was completely fine with it (of course) and had assumed I might be. Her boyfriend apparently said "You are two good looking people who spend a lot of time together. If you haven't had sex by now, one of you is gay." So, after talking about it for a while we went back to watching the olympics. It's kind of nice how after the initial nervousness goes away, things feel completely back to normal. I didn't even need booze to tell someone this time!

2. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

So is everyone in Canada this nice about everything? Because if that's the case, YAY! That thought of fleeing the country must be looking silly in hindsight, huh? I'm very happy for you!

3. The Lost One

Hey Aquaman,

Fleeing the country DOES seem a little extreme now but I'm still uncomfortable with people at work finding out. However, I'm pretty sure that if I continue the course I'm on, it will happen eventually.

I have to say, I have chosen my friends well. They are all liberal-minded. I would be shocked if any of my close friends had a problem with it because I've known their views on gay people for years.

Generally, if you are educated here and have a problem with gay people, others will look down on you. 51% of the population of Canada have some form of tertiary education. Most of my friends are highly educated so I guess this bodes well for me.

4. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Everything's coming up Milhouse! Good friends, snow days...

And yeah, I'd say it's relatively rare in Canada when you get people who actively try to, say, Kansas or Idaho you. For sure there are still crazies, but I think it's not super socially acceptable in a lot of places now.