1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'F' word.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, May 16, 2005.

1. jbb1236

I'm not a huge fan of the word, there are couple of people who say it that I don't mind, but for the most part but for the most part no. Another thing I'm not a huge fan of is queer, I almost find that more offensive then fag, but oh well i guess, that word is more popularized i guess.

2. skwidge

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If someone intends 'fag' to be derogative when they say it, then I think of it as derogative.

It's very interesting hearing all these POVs from you lot on EC :slight_smile: I personally hate it that "gay" now also seems to mean 'stupid'. It's so thoughtless of all those people that use it, it would make coming out so much harder for a closeted person.

3. vixx123

vixx123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the "f" word at times offend me but at times i don't care i hve been gay for 11 years it doesn't bother me any more

4. Amy

Amy

Depends on who it's coming from.

If it's used as "You throw like a fag" the sayer normally recieves a rather impolite gesture from me.

I find it very offensive, on many levels.

5. lordjord96

well i say 'fag' because it means cigarette in the uk but i do get affended my 'faggot'.

6. boredofnormal

Wow, this string is really old...and long!
    But remains relevant to us newbies, none-the-less!
    I have always considered the terms fag/faggott(y), queer, and homo to be derogatory, but I'm discovering that their use within the gay community is widespread, much like the African-Americans use of the term 'nigger' whithin their community. I've been really surprised by the gay hip-hop/rap artists I've heard lately and their use of the words. I love the music (o.k., stop laughing...yes I'm a 43 y/o white guy in suburbia, but I like hip-hop and rap) but if a non-gay person was singing the songs, I really think they would be very offensive.
    I doubt seriously that these words will make it into my mainstream vocabulary.
    Tim

7. Peter

As a gay Christian, the Westboro loonies have made me proud of being a fag!

8. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A guy at work (sporting goods store) the other day came back in the office to tell us about a crazy man he had to help. Overall the guy was rude in general. On the way up to the checkout, the guy randomly popped out with "Man, golf is such a stupid sport. It is only for fags." I would have gone off on him right then and there. I was glad to see that my co-workers were not thrilled with the crap that came out of his mouth. The really funny thing that the guy who was told this said that the customer was into MMA. Near naked men, grappling each other, in super tight shorts...yeah, that is totally not even a little bit gay.

9. Adrian

Adrian Guest

On a related note, I don't like the word 'queer' at all. Not sure why people went to the effort to try to reclaim it.

10. ColdSnap

i don't really like how fag sounds in the offensive context, it's just not a nice sounding word, i don't really like it tbh :frowning2:

11. starfish

Please tell me that some kind of oil is involved. That would be the prefect sport.

12. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    By the end of it they sort of look a bit oily. It is a very vigorous activity with lots of sweat. Most of the dudes tend to be pretty ripped too.:icon_wink

13. Adam

I usually hate that word, not always is it bad though.

14. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I find it incredibly offensive on behalf of gay guys, this pretty much explains why:
    I'm pretty sure most people who don't know this but I don't think that should change that it is a really derogatory word.

15. Linkmaste

I dont really like it. I flinch sometimes at the word.

16. Markio

My brother used to call me a fag or faggot when we were both in elementary school. I didn't act like one, and I didn't know what it meant, just that it was a swear word. I think he called me that just because it was a bad word like "a**hole" or "b*st*rd", interchangeable in his mind.

Now that I know what it means, I don't think I would dislike the word any more than any other word could people call me. I dislike most name-calling in general, unless it is between friends.

17. crystaltriforce

well it all depends on the tone of voice and context. but most of the time i hear that word it's usually offensive, unless they were talking about cigarets in england

18. STK

STK Guest

I really dislike the word, except in the usage "Cease this faggotry at once!"

19. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel as though it is just one of those words that is just thrown around a lot without a lot of thought or consideration. But like any word, it really depends on the context. I personally never use it, and I really try not to take offense to it too much if it is thrown into conversation. What bothers me much more is people saying, "That's so gay" to refer to anything bad... To me, that is a much greater insult.

20. JgnomeG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is not offensive to me or derogatory. It reminds of a cigarette. hehe. that is what they are called in England.