1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'F' word.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, May 16, 2005.

1. Red87

It reallly doesn't bother me. But, being in a military environment, the word gets thrown around so much. I'm guilty of using it myself, but no one ever really means anything by it.

2. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    haha one of my friends who I'm out to calls me fag a lot but means so harm by it. its fun she'll be like "hey fag" and I'll respond "hey skank" so its all good XD, but used in a mean and or derogatory way I dont like it at all

3. cityboy340

Originally: OC, California Now: Baltimore/DC
    Its only derogatory to me if its used that way, otherwise, I use it myself to make jokes etc, but those are LIGHTHEARTED not mean

4. pirateninja

Jesus, I just looked at my old post on this thread, and my opinion HAS changed since October.

Before, I was okay with "that's gay", now I'm not.

But as for "fag" or "faggot", I put it in the same context as nigger. Black people say "Yo, nigga!" all the time, and sometimes I've seen white friends of black people say it too. I would be okay with my friends and other gay people saying it to me, because it can be used in a friendly endearing term. But I do not stand for people I don't know, or homophobes using it against me.

5. Grof142007

i totally havent been saying these im so lame -.-

but i have been responding by using " And you dont even like boys"

6. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

In that same context I hope the gay community abandons the word fag. We don't need it. At first it was an insult thrown at us, and we turned it into something that only WE can say and not get offended. But look at all the problems nigger and nigga have caused. I can't say nigger on this site and not feel guilty, let alone anywhere. Fuck changing the "context" to change its meaning, just drop it all together and lets move on.

7. JSG

JSG Guest

So should black people abandon 'nigga' too?

8. Chamber of Life

Well I'm against nigga, fag and all slang that brings race or people sexuality life down. I'm black and I dont think ANY ONE should be able to say nigga. Not even black ppl, I dont say it and I dont want people saying it around me or calling me it. Same with fag, its something that puts us down and I dont agree with saying, even if you are "kidding". Its wrong in my eyes.

9. pirateninja

It's a fair point, however there have been quite a few "slang" words for gay that we have adopted as well. "Queer" for example. And "Dyke". Again these are words that were originally used as a put down, but we have used ourselves.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the person. There are some people who I know who don't like "fag" or "queer" at all and I respect not saying it in front of them, but I myself only use them when I know that others don't mind me using it as a term of endearment, and like I said, I don't mind my gay friends saying "Sup, dyke?" to me.

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday I somehow managed to think of a really horrible way to use the word 'fag' to insult someone. Now bear in mind I would never ever actually do this to anyone:

"Your breath smells so bad, it must be all the fags. Oh wait! You ARE a fag! That explains it!"

As I said before I'd never actually say that. I would be horrified if I did. It just seemed funny when I thought of it. I generally don't like the word 'fag', I mean there aren't any mean words for straight people so why should gay people have these horrible names?

People disapprove of the word 'nigger' so they ought also to disapprove of the word 'fag'. 'Nigger' is a bad word for black people, and 'fag' is a bad word for gays, so the use of it should be stopped as much as the word 'nigger' was.

11. JayC

JayC Guest

it just depends on how u use it, i mean if one of my friends say Jeremy u r such a fag cuz i was staring at some guy then it fine and funny but if someone says it derragatorily like sshut up fag. o no there gonna be a fight

12. JayC

JayC Guest

same thing for rednecks i mean i make fun of all my friends cuz they alll rednecks but i never say anything like You are nothing but a stupid redneck with no future besides farming

13. JayC

JayC Guest

that would be just rude

14. Absentminded

Agreed 100%. I can't stand to hear it used all the time, every day, cause it's always used in derogatory terms. I'm guilty of using it, but only to mean cigarette, or it's original meaning. It shouldn't be derogatory, like many things.

15. coreyjazz23

it's kind of like using gay to mean stupid...it just doesn't. So it doesn't bother me, but it does if the person isn't talking to me.

16. Kenny9210

Kenny9210 Guest

you know, I think its like the word "nigger" or "nigga" and how its treated with black people. I think its okay for gay people to use that word for eachother, but its just different for a straight person. Ussually when a straight person says fag, they mean it in a negative way anyways. I feel wierd and awkward when a non-homophobic straight person says it. I don't mind it at all when a gay person says it though. But i hate it when people use it in a derogative way, to say like, your a fag, as if its a bad thing.
    So yeah, I think it should strictly be a gay community word! lol

Unless someone wants to get fought >=3

17. steveo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally I hate the word. It offends me when people say it but I don't ever say anything because I'm not all that confident and I'm not even out yet. But actually at my school or well town at least people say that's straight as in another word for cool. I guess that's the best way to describe it like lets say someone is walking down the hall and you bump into them on accident. You say sorry and they would probably say nah its straight dude.

18. Jamey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I refer to myself as a fag, and also use it as an insult. i.e. "Stop being a fag." I only say stuff like that to my straight friends. If a gay friend calls me a fag, I just call them a queen, etc. Straight people calling me or any other gay person fag is not so good. Usually makes me uncomfortable.

I also tend to use gay as a substitute for stupid. It's just a colloquialism that has grown on me, and to be honest I don't see why I shouldn't use it.

19. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

I find it very offensive-- especially given the recent trend here of using any word for gay, as a synonym for "stupid." I bite my tongue every time I hear one of my friends use the word as an insult, especially since they use it as a reference for feminine guys and tomboyish females behind their backs. (Hmm... I'm definitely more on the butch side, so it makes me wonder what they say about me when I'm not around. :confused:)

20. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Long before I came out, my friends were already using the word in situations like,

Friend 1 beats friend 2 at video game, begins to draw attention to it;
    Friend 2 laughs and says, "You're such a fag".

That has never offended me and I doubt it ever will.

Since coming out though, my female friends' use of gay slurs has gone from minimal to zero in an effort not to offend me (though I've never said anything about it), and the guys have gone from heavy to sporadic use, at least around me. Again, without my saying anything. I think they care about me and don't want to hurt me. Fine with me.:thumbsup:

However, if someone I don't know very well, who obviously doesn't like me because of my sexuality calls me a faggot, then there's a problem. It has only happened once, but one time I was chillin' at the gas station waiting for my friend and this short fuck who dropped out of school last year called me a faggot so I walked up to him, made myself look dauntingly tall (me 6'2, him 5'6) and said, "You sure you want to say that again?" Bitch stepped off.