1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'F' word.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, May 16, 2005.

1. Yeah, I doubt it will stop. I'm out at my school, and this one kid in my small group has a really bad habit of saying that some of the dumb things we have to do are "so gay." He and I are on really good terms w/ e/o, so I know he doesn't mean to offend me by saying that, and I highly doubt he is consciously equating being gay with being stupid or wrong. One day he said that "so gay" phrase several times, so I finally blurted out, "Hey - quit saying that!" And he laughed and said, "Oh, sorry -- it's just a bad habit." And I believe him, but I think it will be a while before he forces himself to stop using that phrase.

For all those who've said that context is important: Did you think it was silly when the media was berating Isaiah Washington for saying, "The word 'faggot' was never used," or whatever he said at that press conference? Just curious...

2. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i hate swearing i got in trouble at school for it once. kids at school and on our bus swear all the time and i dont like it. i get called a fag a lot but dont really care about it

3. LowestVocal017

Honestly, I really don't like swearing either (but then, there's an inconsistency from person to person to which words constitutes swearing).

You're a bold young man, Jayden. Back in high-school, if someone called me a fag, I would have cried and went to administration to "whine" about it. Of course, I would have done the right thing, but I would have done it "whining." :biggrin:

4. TeeBe

I have no issue asking my friends to watch their wording. The worst place I find that I encounter profanity is at my work, because I can't do anything about it. I think I have ever (or at least, recently) been called a fag, probably owing to the different stigma placed on lesbian women. Still, I find that too many people use 'gay' and 'stupid' interchangibly. Although it doesn't really offend me, I find myself pointing it out reflexively.

5. I do the same thing, when people say "Thats so gay" I just say be careful who you say it around, even though I don't care about it one bit, others might

6. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    hmmm I have a feeling that there may be a little conflict of interests in this one just like there was in the 'that's so gay' topic. Although much the same I don't care if somebody calls me a fag, uses it as a remark to mean someone is stupid, etc, etc, etc because unless it's means with mallace towards me, I have no reason to take it to heart.

And even if it was meant with mallace towards me, whilst I mind it I have to restraint not to do anything about it. Otherwise, if I were to go off the handle whenever somebody remaked that x was a faggot or that "god that's so gay", then i'd likely be in prison by now. Or up for some assault charges.

Granted... nobody goes "god that's so straight"... but that's because straight people have and always will be the associated norm... End of (from me that is).

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally think we should all start saying "god that's SO straight!"

8. ahaha I wonder what people would say

9. GuitarGirl1350

I've done it. It quickly gets on their nerves. ^_^

10. Jim1454

That is clever! Very good!

11. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    to me its just a word and i dont care... but it may be because i hear it all the time, people just say it everywhere like arguing "your stupid" then "your a fag" then "your a hooker" and so on then the teacher will just tell them to stop because she is trying to teach not because of the words lol

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like the word at all. Whenever someone uses it, I tell him/her to say "gay" instead.

13. Kimi

I don't really care the word. I mean I used to called fag when I was around 5-7 got used to it never really got upset since then. And my parents are very homophobic so whenever there are something about gay topic on tv or newspaper they complains how homosexuals are wrong. When they do that they usually call gay people fag and kinda makes fun of them. And that's the reason I'll never come out to them or my brother or my family members(especially my dad's side family they are the worst people on this planet).

I don't mind the word 'fag' but I do mind the word 'fuck'. Usually when I hear someone uses the word fuck, it is not necessary at all. Well, I don't know if there are actually time to use that word but I do not like people who uses it too much in their conversations.

BTW, I sometimes make fun of myself by calling myself a fag. And I sometimes say "That's so gay" too I try not to but my friends say it all the times and they are making bit hard to not say it. Few of my friends know that I'm a bi makes fun of me whenever I said "That's so gay" or along that. They are bit mean but I love them:grin:

14. GuitarGirl1350

I don't like "That's so gay" either. I think they're both offensive and I have basically kept my mouth shut because I can't stand gays who can use those terms...

15. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    all of those horrible words are just... words when people get all annoyed to idk go protest i just think... come on what are we in first grade? lol

16. davo-man

I find that word quite offensive....but i dont think it is because i am myself gay because the two other words that i simply cant stand dont pertain to me (the other two being nigga and cunt...grr i actually dont like even writing them)

I think its the way it reduces a person down to a three letter word..."oh, he's just a fag" whereas we are so much more than that...we are people who are exactly the same as the people saying it and the same goes for the other two words...

17. SadConfusedBandGeek

hah i don't care what words they use as long as they don't use it offensively...personally i wouldn't mind being called...a fag or a queer or soemthing if they weren't trying to be mean...
    But when does someone ever call u a fag and not try to hurt your feelings? But if its not meant to be mean i dont see it as mean..simple as that:slight_smile:

18. hoping

i think iam used to it. like i know my sister has alot of gay and lesbian friends but she and her friends go around calling each other fags and then my cousins are very homophobic and when they see a guy coming down the road that they think might b gay they say hey hes a fag he probably has aids and when i hear that it tears me up inside

19. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I would probably not like it since it sounds rude. Theres many better words and 'fag' is used in a degrading way. But I haven't been called one since I am still in my closet (questioning) and I don't seem like it =/ :frowning2: