1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple math problem could indicate your religious beliefs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by frozenandbroken, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Delta

The bat is $100 more than the ball. Not only $100 dollars. So, if the ball were $10, the bat would be $110. Since the ball is $5, the bat is $105. And $105 plus $5 is $110. See?

2. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ahh i see, so the bat was actually 105 to begin with, makes sense... see I told you guys my maths sucks, but i probably have misread the MORE part lol

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got 10$. I knew my answer would be "wrong."
    I don't care for math and I usually reject it anyway.
    I understand what everyone's talking about now, after Kitsune309's post.
    However, the way it's read I still do not accept that answer.

I am not religious, I used to be Christian. I generally believe in other things though, I have an open mind. And sometimes I still believe, though I do not follow up and worship this god.

4. Aldrick

LOL. I suck at math, but I am also an extremely intuitive thinker, so maybe that is the reason. I'm an atheist, though I tend to be highly philosophical about it, so if one were to argue and say that philosophy fills the void of religion in my life I guess they wouldn't be entirely wrong. Though I'd quibble about the term religion, as that implies that my beliefs are immutable to facts, subject to faith rather than to reason.

When I saw the problem, I instantly knew there was a trick. I said to myself, "The answer clearly appears to be $10, but I know it's trying to trick me. That is too easy. It says the bat costs more than $100, and I know the total cost for both is $110. I want to say $10... fuck. I hate tricks. The answer is clearly somewhere between $0.01 and $9.99. Fuck these bastards and their tricks! I hate math. [Click on answer.]" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

6. Lewis

I always have and always will suck at math, I STILL don't get why the answer is $5. My way of thinking is the complete opposite of analytic. I love English, reading, Science (apart from the math related topics) and creative subjects. Math is just one of those things that I'll never fully understand.

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2012 at 07:12 AM ----------

Never mind, just read some other posts and now get it!

7. MathMan

the bat is 100 MORE than the ball, so if the bat were 100 and the ball was 10, then that would only mean the bat is 90 more than the ball, not 100. so for a 100 difference between the bat and ball one would have to be 105 and the other 5. I got it wrong at first too.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was too lazy to get beyond the question of why the hell I'm paying $110 for a baseball and a bat...

Which says what, exactly, about my religious beliefs? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Sherri

:lol: Actually, as a cashier, I've seen people pay extraordinary amounts for baseball bats for their kids. One guy paid $160 for a bat he knew his kid would grow out of because "it's going to last him for the next two years, hopefully". Insane! Now I know why my parents were too broke to let me play organized sports when I was a kid!

As for the actual topic, I did the math equation and got $5. My instinct was $10, but I thought it had to be wrong, so I rethought it. Does the study cover this :wink:?

10. TonyTheBear

I am not an atheist.
    I am not a Christian.

x + x + 100 = 110
    2x + 100 = 110
    2x = 10
    x = 5

I don't see how one's lack of ability to carefully think a problem through or (God forbid) write down a simple problem can make them seem more likely to believe whatever they do. That is, unless you mean to say that people who believe in something are careless and don't think things through. I would agree for the most part of what I've seen, but that is based on my own bias.

11. ANightDude

I hate math.

And I say that because I got $10.

Like what. Omg.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it depends on one's definition of each word

some people contend that atheism is merely the lack of religious belief. I think it by definition involves the positive assertion that no god/gods exists/exist.

a more logical basis in my view is agnosticism, and really ignosticism takes it a step further by declaring that the concept of a god is undefinable in the first place and thus the question of existence thereof is meaningless. I'm an ignostic who goes by the agnostic label because no-one's ever heard of 'ignostic'.

An atheist would say "no god exists."
    An agnostic would say "i don't know if a god exists"
    A strong agnostic would say "i cannot know if any god exists, and neither can you"
    An ignostic would say "let's talk about something else"

#52 Pseudojim, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  13. IrisM

$5. I'm an agnostic. Agnostic in my case meaning that I do not know or claim to, and it isn't a part of my life. Yet if others want to believe I accept that and respect their beliefs.

14. RebelD

I got $5, which I guess is kind of right. I'm in between religious and atheist (it doesn't make sense, I know).

15. Porphyrogenitus

I initially got $10, then immediately thought 'no, that's wrong' and got $5.

Amusingly, I'm something of an agnostic.

16. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you fall for the same trap that I did? I somehow read "baseball and bat" as "baseball bat." :grin:

P.S. and no, I'm an atheist.

#56 WeirdnessMagnet, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  17. Dalmatian

First thought: 10?
    Second thought: oh wait.. 11? wtf. no
    Third: ok, I'm tired.. x + x + 100 = 110. Ooh, I see

I'm an atheist.

I can't label myself agnostic because that would in my opinion give too much weight to a basically random view of reality. To put it simply, when it comes to Thor, I am not agnostic, but rather atheist. It's not that I hold faith in Thor's non-existence. Also, I can't bring myself to say "yes, well, there is no way to say that Thor definitely doesn't exist". Knowing about the history of religion and specific mainstream religions especially, these gods can be obviously linked to myths and folklore. I wasn't ever on Olymp, so I can't really say that Zeus is not there, but I feel sure he is fictional.

Or, since this is about math: any sufficiently simple phenomenon can be shown to not be the act of gods; if we take an arbitrarily complex phenomenon and postulate that it can be shown to not be the act of gods, it can then be shown that adding a simple phenomenon to that complex one will not change it's status on the act-of-gods question. So I'm an atheist.

18. Rygirl

I have seen this problem before, but not in this context,

But then I've always been good at Maths, and I've always had a faith, either Paganism or Christianity.

19. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an atheist but I fail at math, where's your study now? *Sticks her tongue out*

20. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    $10. While I'm an agnostic with spiritual-inclinations, math is also my Achilles' heel. And as the spoiler mentions, I feel slightly upset with the implications of my answer.

:icon_redf :bang: :tears: