1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple math problem could indicate your religious beliefs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by frozenandbroken, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Fiddledeedee

My first though was "this won't be that simple", though I hadn't considered the problem yet. Therefore, I did it step-by-step and got $5 first time. If you'd asked me this in conversation, I'd have probably said $10 and then "No wait, $5". I'm religious, by the way.

2. sguyc

Actually it would do the opposite. What that study found was that the most "intelligent" people have the most cognitive bias, meaning they trust their intuition to a large degree, which in this problem will probably lead you astray. Also I got it right on the first try, but it took me a few minutes and the realization that the obvious answer was obviously wrong.

3. Deaf Not Blind

Um i aint good at story problems which means im more into visuals not English. religion is either repetions and order and law or it is trust and love. story problems just show how you learn and use thoughts not your faith or ability to have one. also it is assumed atheism is a faith too. so...

110-100 is 10.
    thats the #s i see, picture symbols.
    i had in accounting test a tricky one where i wrote all the #s, but in words they aded a #! i didnt see it hidden in the setence. :frowning2:

i bet those who get that weird math do wel in story problems and analyzing literature?

4. Night Rain

Once again, I have no idea what you're saying.:roflmao:

5. Haha, I know, when I read the article I was thinking that didn't actually make sense, but I decided to humour the whole thing. Why not, right?

Oh, and I unfortunately got 10. I knew that was too easy to come up with, but, I forgot my algebra. It's only unfortunate because I WAS good at math, far back in the day.

It's a cross between spirituality, and science for me. Logically and rationally speaking science has allowed for amazing discoveries, until we know everything there possibly is to know about the vastness of the universe though. I believe in my own form of creationism and destiny. Evolution, yes. Universe, no. I like to keep my options open. :grin: Until proven false with accurate information!

6. Night Rain

No way, it's very simple algebra, if you haven't got it right first by guessing! xD

7. Oh no, I know it's simple now. I was beating myself up big time for not getting it. :lol: I vaguely remember anything about algebra. But, it was a very simple calculation. *sigh* ah well! :icon_bigg

8. Colton

It's not a hard math problem, so I don't know how that would indicate, in any way, what a person's religious beliefs are.

9. akidyouwish

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I blame the fact that i got ten on my inablity to do math. But yes, I'm religious, and i got the wrong answer.
    And i'm going into algebra one for the third time next year.

10. Eric

Atheism is the furthest thing from faith.

Anyway, like others, I misread the question the first time around, but once I reread, I got that the bat was $105 and the ball was $5 right away. I'd consider myself an atheist.

11. FJ Cruiser

I believe that's actually agnosticism. Atheism is actually taking a stance on a question for which there is no, and never will be, a clear answer. That sounds not dissimilar from the definition of faith.

12. MathMan

gah, i would have gotten it if i written it down lol

x=apple
    x+100=bat
    apple +bat=110

so therefore,
    x+x+100=110
    2x+100=110. solve for x... I do calculus and differential equations well, it's this simple shit that always stumps me lol

13. Tim

Tim

I got $5.

My religious beliefs are... complicated. I just usually go with atheist, as well, it's too complicated to explain to people, lol.

14. SkyDiver

I got $5, and I do have religious beliefs. :lol: Interesting however!

15. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not religious and I got $10. I now understand why it's $5 (I think) but not going to strain my head about it.

16. Eric

It's definitely a fine line, and someone with a stronger understanding of atheistic principles can probably shed some light on whether atheism can be considered a faith, but I've always thought atheism had more to do with being skeptical of religious dogma than outright denying it. I'll agree with you on the point about agnosticism though.

17. Delta

I love math. I got the right answer, but I'm a diest. That's sort of halfway between religion and staunch atheism, I guess.

18. secretguyX

I got $10, and I knew it was wrong, but I wasn't in the mood to think, so I just stayed with it. But I'm somewhat religious, so I guess it's right for me. :slight_smile:

19. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I would guess that the vast majority of agnostics don't base their beliefs on faith, but I can imagine a form of agnosticism that is faith-based (e.g. claiming that all questions related to the existence of god are unknowable because you feel that to be true, not because of a logical argument or evidence).

The same applies to atheism. I am sure that some atheists claim that there is no god for faith-based reasons, but most are atheists for other reasons. As Eric said, both atheism and agnosticism are typically based on questioning and skepticism.

Also, agnosticism and atheism are not necessarily mutually exclusive, depending on how both are defined. Agnosticism is a claim about knowledge about god, whereas atheism is a claim about the existence of god. An agnostic atheist, for example, would likely claim that while we can never know for certain that there is no god, the arguments against the existence of a god are more convincing than the arguments for it. Contrast this with a gnostic atheist, who would claim that they know for a fact that there is no god. (See also: Dawkins' spectrum of theistic probability)

I guess my point is that most beliefs about god can be supported a multitude of ways, of which faith is one. It's more a matter of what the most common justifications for these beliefs are, and very few atheists base their beliefs on faith.

#39 Tetraquark, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
  20. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I have to be host, my maths sucks and my logical brain screams error when I read all the replies.

*If a baseball and bat cost $110, and the bat costs $100 more than the ball, how much does the ball cost?*

So the bat is a 100, that is simply making the ball 10, where do you all come with the additional 5 if you all say the ball is actually 5.
    My brain tells me if this is true than the total cost would have been 105 and not 110. Folks were are we getting the extra 5 from?