1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple math problem could indicate your religious beliefs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by frozenandbroken, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Ianthe

If the bat is $100 dollars more than the ball, then the difference between the $100 and the total of $110 must be split evenly between the bat and the ball (because the two must be equal before adding the $100 for the price of the bat). Therefore, the ball is $5 and the bat is $105.

Do people actually think in algebraic symbols???

I am an irreligious person, but not really an atheist, and definitely not antireligious.

2. IrishLad93

I came up with 5 with some confusion along the way because I hate Math with a burning soulful passion!

But I don't think this is very spot on :jawdrop:

Im an atheist, but Intuitive Thinkers prefer to be challenged intellectually and to think things through for themselves, and outside of the box. They are curious about ideas, have a tolerance for theory, a taste for complex problems, and a concern for long-range consequences.

That seems to be the opposite of just accepting religion as the sole answer to all creation, its hardly 'thinking outside of the box'.

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2012 at 12:53 PM ----------

Haha, same reaction!

#62 IrishLad93, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  3. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I arrived at $105 and $5 because I could tell by the fact that the problem was even asked that it was intended to be a heffalump trap of some kind.

4. Nightwing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think I love you

5. J Snow

I came up with 5 dollars, but I've heard this riddle at some time in the past before.

Either way, I think its a lot of nonsense that it could indicate your religious beliefs.

6. Markio

Hm... I have faith in a God, but not in my math skills. So while I immediately thought the answer was going to be 10, I realized that it wouldn't work. So then it took me a couple of seconds to figure out how the additional ten dollars is split: evenly, duh.

7. ArtSaves

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said 10, but I don't hold any religious believes... I'm just bad at math xD

8. starfish

I do, but I am an engineer.

My thought process was. $10, no that's not right. Time to solve for x. 110 = x + x+100. 10 = 2x, x = 5.

9. Kieth11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What do you mean? The bat costs B and aren't you supposed to find out the cost of B? But you're splitting it into 2, why? I came up with $10.00. (i.e. the full cost of B)

10. Kieth11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Never mind. Got it. Gosh, you really have to think to do it.

---------- Post added 13th Sep 2012 at 09:31 AM ----------

I agree completely. How can this be true. All of my family got $10.00, but none of them are religious, so I don't know how this proves anything. If anything, how good you are at reading a problem.

11. BornAnew

Am I the only one who thought it was a trick question as the question says

"how much does the ball cost?"

Instead of "How much does the baseball cost?" when the question first used the term "baseball". I thought the sudden use of the term "ball" meant it was impossible to give the answer as we were never told what the "ball + bat" would be just the "baseball + bat"

Do people who believe in conspiracy theories get this answer? lol

#71 BornAnew, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  12. TruePinkamena

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm strongly Zethonian (my own religion) and I came up with $5 because I'm a math whiz lol :slight_smile:

13. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I got five. Already knew I was an atheist, but thanks for the reminder.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Gen

Gen

Theist and I got 5. I'm a math genius though so I probably dont apply ( ._.).

The study is, however, flawed in its understanding. This problem does not display any use of intuition or analyzation. Niether of those apply. The only correlation between a riddle and atheism is skepticism. Which only applies to one side, because I myself and an extreme skeptic and a theist. Those who get the problem right are most likely natural skeptics because when presented with a seemingly easy problem they automatic search for the 'trick'.

Those who get the problem wrong are either bad at math or are so good at math that they made assumptions about the problem without taking the time to correctly read it. Which is not being intuitive, but assumptionate.

Just saying :O