1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quebec, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I respect your beliefs and I have many friends who believe the same but there is plenty of proof to back up that God exists. Go to the holy lands like Jerusalem and Israel or even Egypt and there are plenty of sacred holy sites that back up the bible.

2. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Zane, I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here so bare with me. Are you sure that what you're doing is about God and not about you not being able to cope with yourself? Have you told anyone in your vicinity that you're a homosexual? Have you even told yourself in the mirror that you're a homosexual? Because I remember something in the bible about not lying. Have you told that to your mother? What will your mother say when you tell her that?

Let's look into the future. In ten or twenty years you will end up alone, maybe your mom will be here to make you company, maybe she won't be. What then? Will you be able to tolerate the deafening silence? You think homosexuality is a sin, but what's going to happen when everyone around you will have found someone and you're the only one who goes to bed alone? I don't know much about sin, but I've heard that envy is one of the mortal sins. Will you have the strength to keep it at bay all by yourself?

From my perspective, it appears that it's not religion per se, but it's you. These boundaries that you're putting in front yourself by interpreting some book, they're what not God said, no one can know the mind of God, these are just words... Human words, not the words of God.

Finally, I know that the only winning move is to not play. In essence, you are pausing your life and you are correct, you won't lose, but you will also never win. And then what?

3. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Section 18, if I were speaking as hatefully as you are to someone who was not a Christian, I probably would be banned. You need to back off and tread a bit more lightly here. You owe Dano an apology for attacking his personal beliefs with such vitriol.

Dano, I agree with so much of what you say, but my studies of scripture lead me to believe there is no doubt that homosexuality is a sin. You speak of gay relationships blessed by God in the Bible. Can you tell me what the verses are where such blessed unions take place? That would be a very interesting read indeed.

Pink Panther, God knows I have my fair share of issues. I don't deny that, but I also do not hate myself either. My family does not know. I choose not to make my sexual orientation a huge, defining part of my life. It is not what I want to be known for. By resisting this temptation, I do not see it as lying. I see it as resisting temptation by living in the light of the truth of God's Word. I understand that honoring Christ in this could lead to loneliness and other sacrifices. But such sacrifices pale in comparison to the one He made for me on Calvary.

#43 Zane7, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe otherwise I strongly do. I committed sexual acts with my boyfriend who was deeply religious like me and he died suddenly two weeks ago. I strongly believe he is is heaven watching over me. The gay relationships in the bible are David and Jonathan, Ruth and Naomi, Daniel and Ashpenaz, the centurion and his beloved servant and there was also the Ethiopian Eunuch. I don't have the verses but I researched them and know God loved them all.

5. Section18

Section18 Guest

If I am going to be banned then I will be banned. I am not apologising.

6. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, Dano, I am extremely sorry to hear about your boyfriend passing. I understand grief quite well myself, and it sucks. I do have to say though that there is nothing in the stories about those biblical characters you listed that says they were gay. David and Jonathan had a fierce friendship. David also had around 80 wives. The guy clearly preferred women. Ruth and Naomi were related, Dano. Naomi was Ruth's mother in law.

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand you, but I'm also challenging you, the next time your mother asks why you don't have a girlfriend to tell her the truth. Your sacrifice pales comparison to the one He made for me on Calvary.

I won't bother you any more. I sincerely wish you all the best in your life with the hope that you figure out the problems that burden you in soon time.

8. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I appreciate your kind and understanding words, Pink Panther. I do my best not to lie in hiding this side of my life from others. I guess I just feel like if I am doing my part to resist these urges, then I don't feel like it is fair for me to be treated by everyone in my orbit like I am gay.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They were gay. I researched it myself and stand by it.

10. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But that's just not what the Bible says. I mean no offense at all, and you're entitled to your beliefs. But I can come nowhere near to seeing the issue as you do.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The bible is a very limited book, edited to solve a socio-political problem of the Romans. Read more to expand your view

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you reading a English Bible? Cause the English Bible was mistranslated and is completely inaccurate.

13. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dano, there's no translation of the Bible that says David/Jonathan and Ruth/Naomie are gay.

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zane i mean this in no offense you cannot be true christian and believe you could go to hell for committing homosexual acts. Google David and Jonathan or Ruth and Naomi and homosexuality and it will tell you in scripture they were both couples.

15. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dano, calling me not a true Christian was a very low thing to do. Even though I have repeatedly disagreed with your theological interpretation of homosexuality, have I one time accused you of not being a genuine Christian? Talk about Judgment! If you have such a wonderful grasp of your faith, how about we leave Google out of this and have YOU enlighten me on how the Scriptures say these biblical figures are gay. You're such a true Christian, after all? Shouldn't you know this?

16. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's just all too much stretching. It bothers me that people have to deviate from the Bible to even come close to reaching such conclusions. How do you explain away David's 70+ wives and his intense attraction to Bathsheba? Jonathan and David were the truest of friends. They loved one another deeply. But to say that love was ever sexual requires a leap in logic I am uncomfortable with.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry Zane. I think it is self destructive to think the way you think and it is gonna do you great harm down the road. Your putting yourself down and it breaks my heart it really does.

Here are some verses for you-

“Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die — there will I be buried. May the Lord do thus and so to me, and more as well, if even death parts me from you!” (Ruth 1:16-17)

“When David had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was bound to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. Saul took him that day and would not let him return to his father’s house. Then Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul. Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that he was wearing, and gave it to David, and his armor, and even his sword and his bow and his belt.” (1 Samuel 18:1-4)

“You son of a perverse, rebellious woman! Do I not know that you have chosen [David] the son of Jesse to your own shame and to the shame of your mother’s nakedness? For as long as the son of Jesse lives upon the earth, neither you nor your kingdom shall be established.” (1 Samuel 20:30)

“David rose from beside the stone heap and prostrated himself with his face to the ground. He bowed three times and they kissed each other and wept with each other; David wept the more. Then Jonathan said to David, ‘Go in peace, since both of us have sworn in the name of the Lord, saying, “The Lord shall be between me and you, and between my descendants and your descendants, forever.” ’ He got up and left; and Jonathan went into the city.” (1 Samuel 20:41-42)

19. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But y' are, Blanche, y' are!

20. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dano, I appreciate your concern for my well-being, but it isn't necessary. I'm okay with who I am and the decisions I have made.

As for those instances in Scripture you cited, I see no clear evidence of homosexuality. At the very most, it can only be inferred, and only if you ignore the very solid evidence that David very passionately loved women. Ruth and Naomie were family members. Ruth had been married to Naomie's son, who was a man. So she was therefore straight. I know it says Jonathan and David kissed, but kisses among friends of the same sex back then was a common custom. It was a gesture of friendship and devotion. That doesn't prove they were gay. I see the speculation, Dano. But I don't see the solid proof.