1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama to Ask for End of Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mmilam75, Jan 27, 2010.

1. xCrazyInsanity

Well besides that part

And in 3 years, I really doubt it. But like I said, removing dadt is going to cause more problems, not less.

2. Gaetan

I don't think it will cause any problems at all. Has the UK had any problem with the lifting of the ban in its military? Or any other country, for that matter?

3. Shevanel

Fun Fact: Italy allows LGBT people in their military :slight_smile: Although, they're not the greatest example of military excellence anymore xD

4. xCrazyInsanity

Yes, but American politicians and law makers are far to literal stupid.
    If it's not explicitly stated, it's not allowed. Hence in states where hate crimes towards LGB(T) aren't marked as such, they "do not exist", as far as anyone cares.
    Hence needing to specify that women are human beings as well, and deserve the same rights.

5. mmilam75

All I will say is this. ISRAEL allows openly GLBT people to serve in their military. ISRAEL. Given the security challenges they experience every day, if they can have openly gay people and not see a breakdown in military discipline, then anyone opposed to the repeal of DADT needs to sit down and shut up.

Sorry - I am on a kick where I am particularly intolerant of anyone who is on the other side of this, especially after watching my state's senior U.S. Senator bloviate about how the policy has been "successful".

:bang:

6. Just Adam

removing DADT wont solve anything in teh short run infact things could get worse for a period of time. just because you are getting rid of teh legality that stops peopel beeing open and honest it doesent get rid of the people whos views enforced it and people withen the military serving along side you who are hostile to lgbt people and when your life is in their hands to have them hostile to u isnt a good mix you may jsut accidentaly get hit by a bullet out in the field... (not sayign that happens) (then again)

but things wont get better until it goes thats for sure if people can die for their country supporting the freedoms such as liberty then they need to be able to be open and honest and free... but until the people whos negative vies who brought this all about are bled out of the armed forces things wont get better... its poison in a wound it cant heal till the poisons gone. so i think its a start but it will take i dunno i dont want to say generations or decades to change but its what im feeling from this. in time peoples views will change but things cant progress till people do.

7. Brad

Well leaving it in place won't solve anything in the short or long term. It will just mean another generation of soldiers will begin to think it is normal for people to have to hide their sexuality.

8. Just Adam

yes. but in th e short term things will be or have the potential to be worse as people will be able to be open about their sexuality yet the reasons and people that made them hide who they are will still be in place.

and if others one thing people know now a days is u dont have to be ashamed or hide your sexuality ( dependant on country or faith complications)

but people will have an idea of their sexuality and their openness to it before they join the military . they wont join then go hmm i guess i should forever hide the fact im gay as it upsets people here. they will just go wow these people really are a bunch of brain dead intolerant ass holes.