1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama to Ask for End of Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mmilam75, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

No matter what he does, this bringing up the idea of repealing DADT is just a distraction from his major failure to accomplish anything during his past year in office. DADT could have easily been tackled pretty much any time, but it is only now that the media, polls, and Massachusetts are turning against him that he suddenly decides it's important to let gays be open in the military. He has proven thus far to be a pretty weak president and he is dangling DADT out to appease some of his followers. To me, this is just like when Republicans bring up abortion (they only do so to rally part of their base).

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Call me cynical but from the minute he was elected I figured he wasn't going to accomplish anything substantial in this area. Or accomplish much in any area. People were rallying with cries of "CHANGE IS COMING" but the only thing that changed is we got a new president.

3. Gaetan

Eh, I don't remember anything beyond DADT. But, I do agree with you he could issue an executive order to stop the discharges. However, that alone would trigger a political bombshell. In this political climate, I don't blame him for not doing that.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "At least you have his assurance that you'll get your horse back."
    "Yes, I have his assurance. I'd much rather have the horse."

Not gonna happen. Color me 98% sure.

Lex

5. Shevanel

If you want his list of promises, click this link here :slight_smile:

More specifically, if you (a general you, not just you, Jason :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) care only about his LGBT related promises (As many seem to do), then click this link here! :slight_smile:

6. Emberstone

obama does not have the authority to repeal it. it is congress that has been dragging their feet.

Honestly, I think people forget that the president doesnt run the country. they are merely a cog in the wheel.

7. paint

I think the states have the most power and are mobilizing the most with our rights. And as far as I can tell, they are splitting. Some are giving us everything, trying to let us breathe freely. Some have reacted fast to defend the old laws and systems. And some...have split right down the middle and are going back and forth...

----------

If Obama stalls, backtracks, crashes and burns.....is the idea of the Court or Legislature stepping up even plausible? What do you guys think?

#27 paint, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  8. Meropspusillus

Any executive order a president could issue would be very risky politically. He has bigger fish to fry, and it's not worth the controversy it would stir up. Repeal the bill the good old fashion way, it may take a bit longer, but it's better in the end.

9. paint

Who puts forth a vote of no confidence in President Obama.=?

All in favor say aye...(I'm not sure yet)

10. Emberstone

the president has no power to create laws.

thats congress and the supreme court.

11. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

He can't repeal or create laws, but he can use executive orders:

12. starfish

This is a good point. My first thought is can he? The information posted by Kevin42 indicates that he might be able to legally issue an order that would effectively end don't ask don't tell. Then the question is does he have the power to issue an order that nullifies a law passed by congress. Lastly if he is able to do this and it is not challenged would it set a precedent that would greatly increase the power of the executive office.

In my mind those are some pretty big questions and without answers I don't feel that I could form an opinion on this method to end DADT. Maybe I'll read up on it this weekend. Part of me would like to see him do this and have it challenged, because it would be a good test of many of the principals that govern our government.

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Obama does have the power to issue such an order. He has stated though that because it essentially nullifies a law that was legitimately passed, he will not go about ending DADT through and executive order. He could do it, and it would have to be enforced, but it's not the best way to go about it. Plus when he left office, another president could end that executive order and reinforce DADT.

I agree with Obama that going through Congress is the right way to end DADT.

14. mmilam75

In 1948, racial segregation in the military was established by law. Harry Truman ordered that law not be enforced. And you know what happened? Congress acceded to the will of the Commander-in-Chief. Obama could.easily do the same thing, and political pressure would keep future Presidents from.undoing that. Even if you don't believe in the route of an EO, a call for hearings would create pressure on Congress to act. What kind of pressure did this create for Congress to act? None. It was a weak response with no action to demonstrate commitment on our behalf. And, what's more, the Obama Justice Department has been actively defending DADT in the federal courts. So, the say one thing and do another example of this President should be troubling to anyone with a conscience.

#34 mmilam75, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  15. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Truman example is a good one. It proves it can be done. On the other hand, the times have changed a bit. Obama isn't riding on the wave of a World War he just won (though he certainly could spin it as "we need every able-bodied man and woman!"). And Truman didn't have the looming threat of the media shouting headlines: "President tells military to ignore laws!". There was much less of a radical media split in those days.

Looking at it from a purely Macchiavellian angle, there is nothing to be gained politically from ending it now. It's only his first year. If he does it now, anyone will have forgotten it by the next election. If you want the support of someone, it pays to do them a favour just before needing the support. So it might be something he only does right before the next election.

And looking at it from an even more devious standpoint, he might indeed do nothing at all. It's like some wings of the GOP and abortion. They know the other party has no alternative to entice their voters, so they use an eternally unfulfilled promise as a bargaining chip. Fulfilling the promise would actually risk losing you voters as they move on to other issues.
    I'm still hoping Obama is better than that, though...

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have to agree with that. By doing something now, Obama has very little to gain from it. He is more likely to do something before the next election. s sad as it is, but politicians will only act on something when they know it can get them some extra votes or political capital out of it. Repealing DADT now, is not going to do much for him at this stage

17. RaeofLite

...I hate to say it, but you know what I don't understand?

Why is there a Do Not Ask, Do Not Tell policy in the first place?? You'd think that these Right wing/religious zelots/etc would be HAPPY that the gays and lesbians go off to war to "possibly die". :frowning2: I'm sorry if my comments sound harsh but.. I don't know. I get why they might be 'awkward' around gays etc but that's always been my thought.

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because even right wing zealots don't ideally see sending people to a war as "sending them to die". In their ideal war, no one dies, and the victorious army returns home to celebrate, in a suitably heterosexual fashion :icon_wink

The excuses I saw were mostly based on morale. Soldiers wouldn't perform well if they fear that the guy standing behind them is checking out their ass instead of the horizon. There would be rape in the showers! No heterosexual male can function well when "the gay" is around!
    O tempora O mores etc... :rolleyes:

In short, all excuses, though. A lot of armies accept openly gay people. So far, I haven't heard from a big lack of morale in the British army because of it. I've never heard the naysayers objet to the US and the UK working together in military zones. But I guess they only see what they want to see...

19. Shevanel

Besides obvious reasons of discrimination and all that stuff, the main reason why a rule like Don't Ask Don't Tell shouldn't exist is because sex shouldn't have a place in the military at all. You don't join the military to be straight, gay, bi, or anything else. You join to serve your country. Sure, I think everyone has a right to be openly *insert sexuality here* anywhere, including the military, but it shouldn't matter too much because if you're having sexual relations while in the call of duty, you're probably not doing your job right. But hey, I've never been in any service, nor have I had sex, so what do I know. :eusa_doh:

It's just something that should be a non issue. Whatever, I'm preaching to the choir here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Everyone else does it, so why shouldn't I take a stab xD

20. Brad

Well it has been over 12 months since he said he would end the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Policy and yet as far as i am aware there has not even been 1 step made towards it. Yes it takes a long time to get something through congress but that is just being used as an excuse. If he hasn't even really started the process then he isn't making the wait time any less. When he actually starts making steps towards it or does anything other than just make a speech to the press saying he will maybe then my opinion of him will change.

#40 Brad, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010